PDA

View Full Version : Tires?

mitch
02-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Wondering if they'll be a mpg difference on my Ford Excursion if I move from an all-terrain tire (BF Goodrich AT) to more of a highway type tire?? Any thoughts? Tire recommendations? With my daughter getting a car this spring, I may need to give up my commuter truck (ranger), and run the Ex more. Need to stay at 3 vehicles. Thanks!

ski_king
02-09-2005, 01:28 PM
A friend has a superduty powerstroke and changed from the Goodyear AT to highway tires and his fuel milage didn't change at all.
I would recommend staying with the AT's. I got 65K out of mine and could have got another 10K or so if I wanted to use the last part f the tread life thru the winter.

bcampbe7
02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Maybe air them up a few pounds.

mgurley
02-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Hard to beat the goodrich AT KO's.

sfitzgerald351
02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
The best deal on tires I've found is the Bridgestone AT or APT (sears / NTB line). When I bought my last set they were a good $30 per tire cheaper than just about anything else. I got 70,000 out of my last set and still had tread left, but the tires had gotten out of balance and I was able to turn them in as a manufacturing defect even though I was well beyond the treadwear warranty period (50k if I recall correctly).

These tires are as quiet as an AT tire gets, have a nice siped tread pattern that does better in the snow/ice than the Goodyears and Dunlops I've run and has held up to the occassional offroading that I do.

mitch
02-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Ski-A-Rees
02-10-2005, 07:48 AM
I have those tires on my jeep cherokee and I changed them over from the cheaper tires! My car does ten times better at the ramp with the boat. My car used to slide down the ramp but it doesn't anymore. If I were you I would keep them and just bite the bullet!

Professor
02-10-2005, 08:30 AM
The one surprise in the life of vehicles is that the tires sometimes last longer than expected! However, it seems as if you never know how the next set will perform even when they are the same brand and type. Where price is concerned, our car club found some of the best prices and even great customer service at: www.tirerack.com

There are others but you may want to compare? They also provide a “tire decision guide” where you can judge between tread types and compound (hard/soft). Hey, I recently read an article about a new “polyethylene and/or urethane tire” that should be available in a few years…now that is the ticket. One article is at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4846067/

sfitzgerald351
02-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I like the idea of a tire that won't separate! They didn't say, but it sounded like these tires don't have steel belts, so I'm guessing they would also be a lot easier to melt down and recycle which would be cool.

Mitch, just reread the post. Do you need new tires for your Ford Ex? If not, there is no way you'd ever make back any money on changing tires, even with current gas prices the way they are. Just make sure you keep them inflated to the proper pressure.