PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting

6ballsisall
06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I want to tint the windows on my Audi to try and keep the inside (black leather) cooler. I have had windows tinted before and want a good job done (no air bubbles) Are there different methods for applying this stuff? What should I ask the shops that do this stuff to see if they are well qualified? How dark can I go? Any idea what I should pay to have this done?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I want to tint the windows on my Audi to try and keep the inside (black leather) cooler. I have had windows tinted before and want a good job done (no air bubbles) Are there different methods for applying this stuff? What should I ask the shops that do this stuff to see if they are well qualified? How dark can I go? Any idea what I should pay to have this done?
JR, leather is "cool" even without the tint!8p

All states have their own laws on this. its a pain in the arse. lots of cops are really ***** about it, especially in MI. if you see two state cop cars flying down the highway, they are most likely chasing some poor innocent teenage kid with a little window tint on his car. :rolleyes: :noface: I love how with all the drugs and serious crimes we have, cops have time to harrass the hell out of kids with window tint.

Check with some local stereo shops JR, they usually install window tint, and if they dont, I bet they can hook you up with someone that does.

Oh yea, and if you hang around the cool kids lunch table here with us, I bet you can find out alot more about window tinting. :cool:

JBaker
06-06-2007, 10:48 PM
I think I paid around $200 to have my sedan done. I got 3% on the rear and rear sides and 20% on the front doors. I would have had to do 35% on the front to keep it totally legal, but I have had it for a little over 2 years now and no problem. The place I got it done at in MO also gaurantees the tint for as long as I have my car.

I just went to a place based on recommendations...I think tinting is really a word of mouth business. You can also contact a high-end new car dealer in your area and ask who does their work and that would be a good lead.

LD Hardwick
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Anywhere from $160-$200 would be fair. Look at the individual's vehicle who will be doing the job, his windows will be tinted, see how good his looks. On the legal end like others said it is different to the area. My suggestion would be to get it a shade darker than legal, but go and have you a new inspection sticker put on first. In Louisiana you have to have a new inspection sticker every year and unless you know someone who does that you may have to pull your tent off. I never have any problems with cops, but I don't go around playing vulgar music and peeling out either. Some places offer pre-cut tint now, made for your car. Another option is go to wal-mart and buy some and do it yourself. Just keep it really wet with a spray bottle of water and baby shampoo, or stuff called tint on. Measure twice and cut once. Work with it calmly until all of the bubbles are out you may want to use a heat gun to set it in.

Good Day,

Leroy
06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
It's not a very hard job so almost anyone can do it. I think we paid $160 and you get a lifetime guarantee for my sons car. Ask you audi dealer.

onewheat
06-07-2007, 12:31 AM
I paid $160 in Cincinnati on my Accord coupe. I think in OH, you can have 35% on front door windows legally and darker behind. I have 20% on all my windows and a 5% strip on the top of the windshield. I have been pulled over by Ohio State Troopers just because of the tint and lectured extensively, along with the 'lack of a front license plate' (which is also law in OH), but have been let go with a warning every time but 1 and that time was almost 20 years ago. Other than a trooper, my tint has never been mentioned. Although, if pulled over, I will always put my window down, keep my hands in sight when the cop approaches my vehicle and if it is dark outside, my dome light is on to facilitate their sight. I understand their view on dark tint, so I comply as best possible within the confines of my own personal wants and needs on my vehicle. I get all my vehicles done immediately after purchase. My Accord had 2 miles on the odometer when I had the windows done. I like it dark in a car otherwise I squint all day when it's bright out and get a headache. It keeps my car cooler, interior in better shape and it looks COOL! :cool:

Hoosier Bob
06-07-2007, 12:32 AM
I used to do this a Car Cosmetics in Newport News Va. The Audi may be easier but some vehicles posed problems. Next time you are in the area bring your car. My cousin still installs locally. We trained him in 1982! He is as good as I have seen.

let me know!:D

Sodar
06-07-2007, 12:41 AM
I did Llumar 20% all the way around. I think it was ~$200, but they remove and reinstall when I get pulled over for having my windows tinted and there is a lifetime warranty for install and material.

shepherd
06-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Sodar, I bet that white Tahoe looks great towing that white '97 to the lake. You should post a "tow rig" shot of both of them together.

BrianM
06-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I have had Lumar tint on all of my vehicles. My wifes car and previous truck were done 20% all around. This is a deep tint but does not make it overly difficult to see out of at night. Technically this is illegal here but I have an inspection guy that doesn't care and the cops don't bother. My Avalanche is done with 5% all around including on top of the factory 20% on the back. It is DARK and hard to see out of at night. Quite honestly I probably won't go that dark again. Oh and both of my cars are black with black leather interior. It makes a huge difference on interior temps.

Looks like Georgia has fairly strict tint laws. The question is how strictly is it enforced. They only allow 32% all around. http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/GA/

Sodar
06-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I have had Lumar tint on all of my vehicles. My wifes car and previous truck were done 20% all around. This is a deep tint but does not make it overly difficult to see out of at night. Technically this is illegal here but I have an inspection guy that doesn't care and the cops don't bother. My Avalanche is done with 5% all around including on top of the factory 20% on the back. It is DARK and hard to see out of at night. Quite honestly I probably won't go that dark again. Oh and both of my cars are black with black leather interior. It makes a huge difference on interior temps.

Looks like Georgia has fairly strict tint laws. The question is how strictly is it enforced. They only allow 32% all around. http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/GA/

I agree with you Brian. I did 5% over my factory tint on my Tundra and found it to be a pain. Biggest problem I had was trying to manuver the boat around at night. I would have to roll down all the windows just to see the thing... not a big deal when you were backing up, but made the boat tough to see at 70 mph going do the freeway!!

Jkelly
06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
BrianM were is a good place to get window done in Mandeville/Slidell? I just bought a 99 Beetle TDI for a commuter car and need the windows tinted.

X2M
06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
I did Llumar 20% all the way around. I think it was ~$200, but they remove and reinstall when I get pulled over for having my windows tinted and there is a lifetime warranty for install and material.

So... You remove and reinstall the tint when you get a ticket? Why not just leave it off? Seems like a waste of time and money. :twocents:

Sodar
06-07-2007, 11:33 AM
So... You remove and reinstall the tint when you get a ticket? Why not just leave it off? Seems like a waste of time and money. :twocents:

I have gotten one fix-it ticket in 8 years. The place removes the tint for free, then you have to go get the fix-it ticket signed off and then the place re-installs it for free. The only time I have gotten a ticket was on my way to Mammoth, going through those little, tiny towns... I got dinked for 4 miles over the speed limit and then he added on the window fix-it ticket for good measure! :mad:

trickskier
06-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I have gotten one fix-it ticket in 8 years. The place removes the tint for free, then you have to go get the fix-it ticket signed off and then the place re-installs it for free. The only time I have gotten a ticket was on my way to Mammoth, going through those little, tiny towns... I got dinked for 4 miles over the speed limit and then he added on the window fix-it ticket for good measure! :mad:
My tint isn't legal on any of my vehicles........Florida dosen't seem to bother people about window tint.............Our law enforcement has a lot more to worry about....................:rolleyes:

Sodar
06-07-2007, 11:45 AM
My tint isn't legal on any of my vehicles........Florida dosen't seem to bother people about window tint.............Our law enforcement has a lot more to worry about....................:rolleyes:

Yeah, in town, I have no problems. It is when you are on your way to destinations like the ski resorts, the lakes or the river and go through rural areas with bored Sherriff's, that you have problems. :mad:

Thrall
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=Upper Michigan Prostar190] I love how with all the drugs and serious crimes we have, cops have time to harrass the hell out of kids with window tint.
QUOTE]

DRUGS and SERIOUS CRIMES..... in the UP???? Come on man, you need to get out a little more.
Spend a little time down here in ALbuquerque. You'll love the lack of crime and drugs in the Yoop P!
:D :D

JKTX21
06-07-2007, 11:51 AM

I had a nice State Trooper WAIT OUTSIDE FOR ME TO GET OFF WORK to pull me over to give me a ticket for the tint on my old truck. It was pretty dark though, I had to roll down the driver window to make turns at night. So now I stay a little closer to the law with 20% instead of 5%.

Sodar
06-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I had a nice State Trooper WAIT OUTSIDE FOR ME TO GET OFF WORK to pull me over to give me a ticket for the tint on my old truck. It was pretty dark though, I had to roll down the driver window to make turns at night. So now I stay a little closer to the law with 20% instead of 5%.

That was awfully nice of him to greet you after work!! :D Effin' Guys sometimes!! :mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2007, 04:03 PM
DRUGS and SERIOUS CRIMES..... in the UP???? Come on man, you need to get out a little more.
Spend a little time down here in ALbuquerque. You'll love the lack of crime and drugs in the Yoop P!
:D :D
I'd guess his take on these two topics are different that most...
In the U.P......
Drugs = Cigars.....
Serious crimes = Drinkin' alcohol on sunday before noon.....

:purplaugh

BrianM
06-07-2007, 04:14 PM
BrianM were is a good place to get window done in Mandeville/Slidell? I just bought a 99 Beetle TDI for a commuter car and need the windows tinted. I have had three cars done by All Day Car Care in Mandeville 985-892-1722 They use Lumar tint and do really nice work at descent prices.

fintek9
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
any one see or try it on a boats glass? had a friend that had dark glass on his glasstron, looked real good! It past my mind to see if it would work on the x-star...

onewheat
06-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Someone just posted about having their boat done within the last month or so. The thread title is 'tint pops' or 'tint really pops' or something like that.

Actually - found it http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16142&highlight=tint

fintek9
06-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Someone just posted about having their boat done within the last month or so. The thread title is 'tint pops' or 'tint really pops' or something like that.

Actually - found it http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16142&highlight=tint
cool thanks, must of over looked that one.

fintek9
06-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Yup, that's the look I want, by next year ......It's going down...