PDA

View Full Version : How do I maintain that BEAUTIFUL shine?

beatle78
06-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi guys,

For those of you that followed my other thread, I used the Meguiars 3 step Boat and RV restorer on the back of my boat and it looks great!

My boat lives in the water all summer, what should I do to the back of the boat to maintain the shine and to ward off future oxidation?

sand2snow22
06-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Put it on a lift and cover it, keep it out of the sun.......

beatle78
06-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I agree, but I have no money for a lift right now :(

I was wondering about a quick sparay wax or something similar?

TMCNo1
06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
I agree, but I have no money for a lift right now :(

I was wondering about a quick sparay wax or something similar?

Don't want to burst your bubble or anything, but a good quality product and some serious attention to the finish is the best. Something super cheap and super easy won't keep it up. Maybe, if you did it 10 times as often.
Bottom line is, you do whatever it takes to satisfy yourself.

6ballsisall
06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi guys,

For those of you that followed my other thread, I used the Meguiars 3 step Boat and RV restorer on the back of my boat and it looks great!

My boat lives in the water all summer, what should I do to the back of the boat to maintain the shine and to ward off future oxidation?

Does your boat sit on a lift or in the water 24/7?

beatle78
06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
my boat is in the water 24/7...

Monte
06-13-2007, 08:54 PM
my boat is in the water 24/7...

The weeks I can run M.T.W.T.F, mine is in 24/7. The weeks it is Sat or Sun only mine comes out. I use a solid paste wax once every month, and Turtle quickwax for in between.... Just after good scrub down....;)

beatle78
06-14-2007, 07:50 AM
monte72, do you pull your boat out for the scrubdown/wax?

My dilemma is that once the boat is in the water, it's not that accessible to take it back out.

Doug G
06-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Mine stays in the water 24/7 also and I also don't have the lift. I pull it a couple times a season to do a full clean / wax on it. Almost every weekend when we tie up to float and chill I spend some time floating around the boat and do :

1. magic eraser below the water line (see magic eraser thread alledgedly can cause scratches but I haven't had that problem. IMHO the copious amounts of water prevent it) amazing what it pulls off and how it keeps the lake scum from building up when I pull it.
2. If it is looking a little rough, babes spot solver above water line
3. Babes boat bright
After everyone is done eating:
4. babes seat soap or 303 for the vinyls (pick your pleasure) also wipe down around seat edges while cushions out
5. 12v dewalt vacuum for the carpet
6. damp towel and dry towel for the glass, dash, etc...

tasks usually get split up and doesn't really take long at all. My son's crew knows they have to help take care of it so they chip in and goes really quick.
I have done the same at the dock but find it actually easier to do when anchored and floating.

beatle78
06-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks Doug!!

The scum line around my boat is really bothering me. I'll have to try the magic eraser.....

You're talking about this right?

http://thefuntimesguide.com/2006/01/magic_erasers.php

Monte
06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
monte72, do you pull your boat out for the scrubdown/wax?

My dilemma is that once the boat is in the water, it's not that accessible to take it back out.

Yes, I do. It is really hard to wax in the water.. Do you have any buddies with a lift they would let you use every once in a while??

beatle78
06-15-2007, 03:29 PM
hmm... I have 1 buddy with a 190 on a lift and another with a 197 on a lift..... I'm afraid of where the bunks line up on my 205V.

Anyone have any idea on that?

Lennyp04
07-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Mine stays in the water 24/7 also and I also don't have the lift. I pull it a couple times a season to do a full clean / wax on it. Almost every weekend when we tie up to float and chill I spend some time floating around the boat and do :

1. magic eraser below the water line (see magic eraser thread alledgedly can cause scratches but I haven't had that problem. IMHO the copious amounts of water prevent it) amazing what it pulls off and how it keeps the lake scum from building up when I pull it.
2. If it is looking a little rough, babes spot solver above water line
3. Babes boat bright
After everyone is done eating:
4. babes seat soap or 303 for the vinyls (pick your pleasure) also wipe down around seat edges while cushions out
5. 12v dewalt vacuum for the carpet
6. damp towel and dry towel for the glass, dash, etc...

tasks usually get split up and doesn't really take long at all. My son's crew knows they have to help take care of it so they chip in and goes really quick.I have done the same at the dock but find it actually easier to do when anchored and floating.

Sure do Doug and ill tell you what...I dont mind doing it!! Its worth it to ride.

mika
07-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I have a 98 ps190 and it shines as good today as it did when it was brand new. covering the boat is the key. My hull is white with red and black (two colors that fad bad) and from day one it has been on a boat hoist. Also before it went in the water we had a local boat cover maker make a water line cover. The water line cover works perfect either in the water or on the hoist or on the trailer. We only use the water line cover when on the hoist and when stored outside (before we put it in the barn for the winter). The cover cost less then 400 bucks at the time and it was the best 400 bucks I have spent in a loooooooooong time.