PDA

View Full Version : SEAT SKINS...Order Now

Jim@BAWS
06-05-2007, 10:27 AM
For those of you that have been putting off ordering skins
you might want to take the plunge now. Effective July 1 MasterCraft Corp will only produce skins newer than 2002. Right now you can order as far back as 1998. Get your skin orders in prior to July 1. What is needed is a FEW digital photos of the interior and your Hull ID #.

Don't Delay

Jim@BAWS

beatle78
06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Jim,

What about those of us who have a 205V? I have a 2001 Prostar 205V, but that hull is still in production today. Does that mean I can still order skins that fit?

Thanks,
beatle78

etakk7
06-05-2007, 12:22 PM
what's the difference between a "skin" and just getting new vinyl? Does the skin go over the existing vinyl or is it just a fancy name for new vinyl?

beatle78
06-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I think it's a fancy name for replacement vinyl

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Jim,

What about those of us who have a 205V? I have a 2001 Prostar 205V, but that hull is still in production today. Does that mean I can still order skins that fit?

Thanks,
beatle78

The interiors are model/year specific and has nothing to do with the hull. The hull may not change, but the driver seat, color combo and interior layouts, etc. may have changed.

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 12:41 PM
what's the difference between a "skin" and just getting new vinyl? Does the skin go over the existing vinyl or is it just a fancy name for new vinyl?
Replacement skins, means new vinyl skins for your boat as was originally equipped are made from original patterns, with the right color vinyl combinations and stitched together, shipped to the dealer ready to install. Then the dealer has a upholstery shop, you or your upholstery shop remove the worn out original factory vinyl skins from the panels and replaces them with the new pieces that were made.

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 12:46 PM
It is usually a supply issue (No longer made, because there is better stuff being used every year) that make for a cut off period and MC can not stock but so much original replacement stuff. If MC had the vinyl in stock to ship to you for your shop to make the skins, they would still continue to make the replacement skins from their patterns.

wiltok
06-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Jim,

What is the cost of the rear seat skin (bottom cushion) for a 2001 X-9?

-Keith

vogelm1
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Skin is just the term used for the actual vinyl that goes over the foam cushioning.

MYMC
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Jim,

What is the cost of the rear seat skin (bottom cushion) for a 2001 X-9?

-Keith
http://mymastercraft.com/parts.cfm?product_type=Upholstery&company=NONE&sub_product=Rear%20Seat%20Cushion%20Skin&cat=Part

88 PS190
06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Skin is just the term used for the actual vinyl that goes over the foam cushioning.

Except you can buy vinyl, it comes in rolls of unstiched single color, then you get to buy other colors piping etc. And have it embroadered with MC logos or whatever.

If you buy skins they are prestitched as was pointed out so that once installed they are factory origional appearance, including logo stitching.

Go to your local interior guy and it will just be vinyl.

BIGBADBLUE
06-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Jim,

Am I too late to get skins for my 1994 PS205? I am looking to get a complete set.

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Jim,

Am I too late to get skins for my 1994 PS205? I am looking to get a complete set.
1998 was the cutoff date effective last year and July 1 will be the new cutoff date @ 2002, per Post #1.

Check FAQ at the top of General Discussion and in there is info on a guy (Jim) in Maryville, TN who worked for MC that makes older skins.

BIGBADBLUE
06-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I was hoping for a little excess inventory!!!

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I was hoping for a little excess inventory!!!

It's all used up or the excess was sold off years ago!

grantroberts
06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
You said "newer than 2002". By way of clarification, that does NOT include 2002, correct?

BIGBADBLUE
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
It's all used up or the excess was sold off years ago!

Never hurts to ask ...

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
You said "newer than 2002". By way of clarification, that does NOT include 2002, correct?

You can pm Jim@BAWS for a clarification of what he stated in Post#1.

BIGBADBLUE
06-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Good idea ... I will

TX.X-30 fan
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Will MC make replacement skins with the new stuff for an 04 boat.?? That new vinyl seems twice as sturdy to me.

beatle78
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
TX.X-30 fan, that's what I meant to say. Can I pick a color that matches my hull and order skins from a newer 205V hull?

Jim/MYMC, Can either of you help us out with this question?

Thanks!
beatle78

JohnE
06-05-2007, 08:53 PM
It is usually a supply issue (No longer made, because there is better stuff being used every year) that make for a cut off period and MC can not stock but so much original replacement stuff. If MC had the vinyl in stock to ship to you for your shop to make the skins, they would still continue to make the replacement skins from their patterns.

So I think others have sort of asked, but why can't MC make an entire set of replacement skins using their patterns for older boats with the newer vinyl?

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 09:45 PM
So I think others have sort of asked, but why can't MC make an entire set of replacement skins using their patterns for older boats with the newer vinyl?

They set up a replacement upholstery in the parts dept .several years back, but in actuality there was not a great enough demand for total sets of replacement skins, from dealers for customers, when a owner can get it done locally to his satisfaction somewhat cheaper with just as good vinyl, just a occasional piece or two and when the original base/accent colors ran out for the most part, the newer colors other than the whites did not compliment the older gel coat and carpet colors, They did offer sets in all white only and no one wanted them w/o color complimentary accents. They had employees sitting around in the replacement dept. waiting for something to do, so now the dept. has shrunk into a warranty and back to 2002 replacement department, that just does keep them busy.

TX.X-30 fan
06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
That makes perfect sense #1, thanks.

beatle78
06-06-2007, 08:51 AM
hmm I see, thanks #1! So basically if I think some of the newer colors would match my boat I could go with them for my 205V. Otherwise, I need to order skins now.

I looked at the 2007 X1 interior colors and they have come nice off whites with a grey accents that would look pretty good on my boat.... I think.....

I wonder if my wife minds carrying our baby for 12 or 13 months so we can save a little bit more for new skins :)

east tx skier
06-06-2007, 10:46 AM
For those of you considering this, do it. When they're gone, they're gone, and you'll wish you had them some day. I got mine right before they discontinued the skins for the early 90s boats and I'm glad to have them now.

That said, I'm very surprised MC is no longer going to offer replacements past five years. I figured they'd at least go back seven years or so.

beatle78
06-06-2007, 10:51 AM
this really stinks that we only get 1 months notice...... I need a raise!!!

Thanks Jim for letting us know. Any chance we can get them to extend the deadline until the end of the summer.... pppppleeeease!!!

Jim,

How much for a complete set of skins for a 2001 205V?

MYMC
06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
It is possible to order complete skins for an older (say 205V) from the new stuff...HOWEVER, there is no guarentee of fit or anything from MasterCraft when you do this so it is BUYER BEWARE...they will not take them back once you place the order.

beatle78
06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks

MYMC, how much is a complete set of replacement skins for a 205V?

Devil's advocate, if i order a set of replacement skins now and then try to use them in 10 years, if they don't fit will Mastercraft do anything about it?

Perhaps I'm being naive but what would not fit in newer skins if they are used on the same boat only older.

Not trying to be a pain, but we are all wondering about ordering part's in anticipation of needing them years from now.

Jim@BAWS
06-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks

Devil's advocate, if i order a set of replacement skins now and then try to use them in 10 years, if they don't fit will Mastercraft do anything about it?

MC won't do anything ...10 years!!! You did not buy them from MC
you would have purchased from a dealer. WARRANTY on a NEW boat onlys gives you 1 year on vinyl.

Jim@BAWS

beatle78
06-07-2007, 10:40 AM
What is the cost of a complete replacement set os skins for s 2001 205V?

MYMC
06-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks

Perhaps I'm being naive but what would not fit in newer skins if they are used on the same boat only older.

Not trying to be a pain, but we are all wondering about ordering part's in anticipation of needing them years from now.
The easiest way to look at this is there would be no warranty...period. If as you put it 10 years from now you found out they didnt fit or were the wrong color there is nothing anyone could do about it. Make it simple and understand this is buyer beware territory...no warranty.

As to cost MSRP for skins averages (complete boat) around $2800 to $3000...MYMC ballpark $2000 to $2400.

beatle78
06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
thanks Mike!

quincyfirefighter
06-07-2007, 10:59 AM
OK Jim look's like it's time to buy some skins. How much for a complete set for my boat ( 2000 Prostar 195, pics in my profile) and can you brake it down per piece. I know ( pain in the *ss):rolleyes: sorry just don't know if I can afford a hole set so I may have to pick and choose. Also I have not forgotten to order those trailer parts. Will be calling you soon. ;)

TMCNo1
06-07-2007, 01:40 PM
OK Jim look's like it's time to buy some skins. How much for a complete set for my boat ( 2000 Prostar 195, pics in my profile) and can you brake it down per piece. I know ( pain in the *ss):rolleyes: sorry just don't know if I can afford a hole set so I may have to pick and choose. Also I have not forgotten to order those trailer parts. Will be calling you soon. ;)

July 1, 2007 is not that far off!

prostar205
06-07-2007, 05:14 PM
I have a quote request into my local dealer for an entire set of new skins for my 2002 X30. Luckily enough, the interior of the 2002 X30 is identical to the 2003, 2004 and 2005 models, other than color changes and material type changes in 2004.

I just ripped my driver's seat frame skins and the stitching is coming out of the middle sun pad / engine cover.

BrianS
06-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I have to say that I am disappointed in MC by this decision. From what I can tell it is just impossible to maintain the vinyl in any boat that gets used regularly. Between the sun, water and constant stretch and strain from being stepped on, the vinyl is going to get worn out.

It seems that it would be beneficial to the brand to allow owners to keep their boats in top condition and as original as possible. Nothing against those with custom interiors, but seeing an older boat with good looking original vinyl just screams quality craftsmanship to me.

Last year I used the MC replacement skins to re-cover my rear seat and it turned out great. This spring I planned to replace a few more pieces and was disappointed to find out that the replacement skins were no longer available. Despite some worn vinyl after 14 years, my '93 gets comments all the time from those that think it is much newer. It really speaks to the quality of a MC boat.

It seems like new owners might as well order a complete set of skins when they order their boat, just in case! Just 2 cents on the subject from a bitter guy who can't get skins any longer...

Jim@BAWS
06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Brian,
You can get skins...just not from MC. My local vinyl shop can pretty much matched to a "T". You should be able to match the vinyl and its colors locally.

MC cannot afford to leave MONEY on the shelf. Old outdated vinyl cannot sit around for ever waiting to be sewn. I don't know how many vinyl requests MYMC has gotten. We have had about 10. We have looked up the prices emailed them back w/ no response. July 1 is rapidly approaching. There is NO PRICE gouging going on. You better get on it. WE CANNOT GET VINYL OLDER THAN 2002 !!! There is NO leftover pieces laying around. There IS NO last chance on 1994 PS 190 interiors. Get it while you can. We are TRYING to provide a service and a means to get you your parts. Do be upset with us because we cannot get it. We wish we could.

Jim@BAWS

BrianS
06-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Jim,

Sorry if my post came off the wrong way. I wasn't trying to bash you or any other dealer that provides this service. I understand that this is a business decision by MC and I can understand why they are doing it. Doesn't mean I have to like it! ;)

To anyone out there thinking of getting new skins, all I can say is, DO IT. I know I wish I did when I had the chance. They may seem pricey but it's worth it. When I did my rear seat buying the original skins was way cheaper than the quotes I got for having it done locally and it probably looks better. Even if you don't use them, they will add value if included when the boats sold, or sell them on this board. There is always someone looking for old skins!

quincyfirefighter
06-08-2007, 10:09 AM
July 1, 2007 is not that far off!
I Know :rolleyes: ;)

MYMC
06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Jim,

Sorry if my post came off the wrong way. I wasn't trying to bash you or any other dealer that provides this service. I understand that this is a business decision by MC and I can understand why they are doing it. Doesn't mean I have to like it! ;)

To anyone out there thinking of getting new skins, all I can say is, DO IT. I know I wish I did when I had the chance. They may seem pricey but it's worth it. When I did my rear seat buying the original skins was way cheaper than the quotes I got for having it done locally and it probably looks better. Even if you don't use them, they will add value if included when the boats sold, or sell them on this board. There is always someone looking for old skins!
Brian,
Please keep in mind this is not just an MC business decision...this has as much to do with the OEM supplier (if not more) than with MC. IF they don't have it and aren't making it then...the unfortunate result is what we have here.