PDA

View Full Version : Ski Repair

dsoby
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm part owner of an Air Chair. Someone recently dropped it on it's nose damaging/delaminating it. The damage is not extreme yet but will get progressively worse if not repaired. Does anyone have experience and/or advice on what materials are needed to fix this ski. The construction is similiar if not identical to that of a slalom ski or wakeboard.

jkski
06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
In the past, I have used epoxy to mend the corners of my ski. If you mix it and apply it, then allow it to dry slightly, you can then easily mold/shape it to the desired form before it hardens.
Now, with that said, this is an effective repair, however, it is not the "prettiest" repair. I have heard of people sending ski's, etc., back to the mfg. for such repairs as well.
Hope this helps.

tex
06-05-2007, 10:41 AM
There are several different epoxys or fiberglass mixtures that will do the trick. Head to Lowes or HD.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
There are several different epoxys or fiberglass mixtures that will do the trick. Head to Lowes or HD.
Back in the day I had a Kidder slalom that the mayor cracked the edge. I just used some fiberglass repair kit, then painted it to match the bottom. worked fine. not really pretty, but it worked. I still have the ski about 13 yrs after teh repair and its still good.

east tx skier
06-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Get epoxy puddy. I've mended a ski using epoxy, but the puddy makes life so much easier as it is easily molded and no mess. It sets fast, too. Then, just sand/wet sand. Wonderful stuff.

88 PS190
06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Get epoxy puddy. I've mended a ski using epoxy, but the puddy makes life so much easier as it is easily molded and no mess. It sets fast, too. Then, just sand/wet sand. Wonderful stuff.

we use that stuff on archery grips as well.

It is quite wonderful, like thick silly puddy.

M-Funf
06-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree to use Epoxy. If there's a big gap or crack to fill, get some high density filler and add it to the epoxy to thicken it. The filler also works better for high flex areas (but it sounds like this isn't the case since it's the tip of the ski) You can also add pigment if you want to match the color, but that gets more involved.

Good Luck!

east tx skier
06-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree to use Epoxy. If there's a big gap or crack to fill, get some high density filler and add it to the epoxy to thicken it. The filler also works better for high flex areas (but it sounds like this isn't the case since it's the tip of the ski) You can also add pigment if you want to match the color, but that gets more involved.

Good Luck!

The puddy works great in cracks. Just push it in there and fill all the gaps, then let it set.