PDA

View Full Version : Surfing Carbon Monoxide

rsk
06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Surfed for the first time this weekend.
Question, nervous about the Carbon Monoxide issue.
What's the poll here on how to keep this safe ?
Personally I was thinking about 4 to 5 minute rides max with, a couple of people then , changing to something with more speed or just something with the engine off for a break.

sizzler
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
my youngest was out the other day.....she was up for about 10 mins.....complained of headaches and nausea afterwards...i limit them now to 2-3 mins

fintek9
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
check out this, it does look interesting.. found it one night

http://www.howtowakesurf.com/

Chapter 3
fresh air exhuast system..... go to bottom of page and click on "fresh air ehxuast"

JimN
06-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Sizzler- those are textbook symptoms of CO poisoning. If they're young, I wouldn't risk it again. It takes a lot less CO to have a permanent problem and I lost a friend to CO poisoning a couple of years ago. He was a firefighter, too, so he knew about the effects. It sneaks up and pretty soon, it's "lights out".

kdr
06-05-2007, 09:51 AM
My wife and I do tons of surfing behind the 205V and neither of us have ever experienced any symtoms of CO poisoning. We do ride pretty far back on the wave though. The only time we get close to the platform is when approaching for a 3 or when stepping off of the board onto the boat. If you can't get farther back, you may need to adjust you weight to elongate your wave.

I've only had issues with CO on one boat a mod 90s CC Sport, and the problem there is that the fumes roll right into the back of the boat, but that wasn't issue on my 94 205 and has never been an issue on any vdrive I've been in.

sizzler
06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
jim...i appreciate..they were so keen to do it , and i wanted them to....i am taking them surfing to cornwall this summer for a week and they wanted to get used to the boards....i wil try to limit them to a min or 2....but you know how it is with kids...they see it as cool and wanna do it.........i will monitor them carefully.......and try to keep them surfing on the proper waves...

does anyone else seem to get a build up of this when they have their bimini up..i get headaches if i am in the boat all day with the bimini up.....

SaltwaterMC
06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Everyone behind our boat surfs until they get tired, have yet to hear of any symptoms of CO poisoning. Sometimes I'll be behind the boat for 15 minutes. The only time I ever notice it is if I fall and grab onto the swim platform to pull lmyself back onto the boat. Then it is quite overwhelming and I would definitely not recommend doing that.

etduc
06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Surfed for the first time this weekend.
Question, nervous about the Carbon Monoxide issue.
What's the poll here on how to keep this safe ?
Personally I was thinking about 4 to 5 minute rides max with, a couple of people then , changing to something with more speed or just something with the engine off for a break.

Not to hammer you, but... This is akin, to sniffing glue for 4 or 5 five minutes, in a well vented area, then taking a break. (Closer to the source, the worse it is.)

The effects of low level CO poisoning, have long term damage. CO deprives the brain of oxygen, and damages other organs.

Studies are showing, the continued short term (off and on) exposure to CO, does cause long term damage. It's worse for kids, as their brains are still physically growing. Keep the them away, from the back of the boat.

ProTour X9
06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
does anyone else seem to get a build up of this when they have their bimini up..i get headaches if i am in the boat all day with the bimini up.....

I only get headaches because the sun is just under the bimini:o

beatle78
06-05-2007, 11:39 AM
I think it was on the new Ski Centurions, they had the exhaust coming out of the side of the boat for that reason.

JimN
06-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Just because there aren't any symptoms, doesn't mean there are no effects. One cigarette doesn't show lung cancer symptoms, either.

JimN
06-05-2007, 01:15 PM
etduc- this one's for you, if you really know your Duckman lines.

"That's about as sensible as giving Michael Jackson access to a 55 gallon drum of peanut oil and a pack of Cub Scouts".

rodltg2
06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
what about this set up..

JimN
06-05-2007, 01:44 PM
What if the wake-surfer used a long snorkle? Some kind of big fish might think it's lunch but it could work.

MYMC
06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Just an FYI the new cat equipped engines from Indmar have reduced CO levels by over 95% (it may be 99%...I just can't find my notes right now)...

Chicago190
06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
what about this set up..

I think thats the Fresh Air Exhaust that was listed in the link above. Apparently it dramatically lowers the concentration of CO in areas around the back of the boat without lowering performance much. They claim no change in hole shot or the wake, and only a ~1 MPH reduction in top speed. Could be a solution for you guys who like to wake surf a lot and don't want to worry about CO poisoning.

88 PS190
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM
its also perfect for morning slalom skiers as it dramaticly silences the exaust noise.

The CO bubbles out further back.

etduc
06-05-2007, 03:21 PM
etduc- this one's for you, if you really know your Duckman lines.

"That's about as sensible as giving Michael Jackson access to a 55 gallon drum of peanut oil and a pack of Cub Scouts".

I miss Duckman. :(

Ryan27r
06-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Gat a fresh air exhaust if you are worried about it. I have one and it works well and reduses motor noise.

I see that there have been a couple posts on this now.

sand2snow22
06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Just an FYI the new cat equipped engines from Indmar have reduced CO levels by over 95% (it may be 99%...I just can't find my notes right now)...

Now I know CO is odorless and all that stuff, but I notice a strong rich, unburned gas smell when I fall when surfing. Probably more HC's than CO, I don't know. Meaning the driver lets off the gas when I fall and the engine runs a little rich. I've been behind a boat with the ETX cats and the results have the same rich odor.

I only get a headache when surfing and smoking a cigarette at the same time Jim!! 8p J/K.....

I've come to the conclusion after two years ago, we were in a Moomba and hit an underwater pipe, sheered the rudder completely off and did a nice number to the prop, driveshaft and fiberglass. Anyway, we had a fisherman tow us a long way behind a two stroke outboard that was working extremely hard. I figure if I didn't die from that, I should be OK surfing behind my Ultra Low Emission MC......

sand2snow22
06-05-2007, 05:10 PM
my youngest was out the other day.....she was up for about 10 mins.....complained of headaches and nausea afterwards...i limit them now to 2-3 mins

How young is she? If she's short, she could be closer to the water and thus closer to the exhaust fumes!!

I am not aware of any deaths from wakesurfing, only from teak surfing!!

Long term damage brings up a lot more questions, especially since the sport is in it's infancy......

Vegas X-Star
06-05-2007, 05:11 PM
We surf without a fresh water exhaust. Only two of us are up for more than a few minutes so I think the girls are probably OK. I have never felt any effects but it does scare me a little. I had heard about people dying "teak surfing" but wasn't sure if wake surfing was back far enough from the exhaust to get fresh are flowing over the boat and into your face. The bad thing is that CO has ZERO smell...what people smell is burnt hydro-carbons, not CO.

Anyone know what one of these systems cost? $300 or so?

rodltg2
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
yes about 350.

how come more boats havent gone to side exhuast ?

JDK
06-05-2007, 05:34 PM
yes about 350.

Simple answer ......Directable exhaust for water sport tow boat - US Patent 7004805

Ryan27r
06-05-2007, 05:40 PM
yes about 350.

Also it very obnoxious when they come around to pick you up your head can be inches from the exhaust.

sand2snow22
06-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Simple answer ......Directable exhaust for water sport tow boat - US Patent 7004805

And aren't they loud?

JDK
06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Also it very obnoxious when they come around to pick you up your head can be inches from the exhaust.

When the boat is coming around to pick people up, this should be a non issue because other than for a second or two as the boat pulls up to the person in the water......the engine shouldn't be running......no matter what type of exhaust it has.

Chicago190
06-05-2007, 11:44 PM
When the boat is coming around to pick people up, this should be a non issue because other than for a second or two as the boat pulls up to the person in the water......the engine shouldn't be running......no matter what type of exhaust it has.

I think hes saying when someone falls and you bring the rope back to them your head is right next to the exhaust as the boat turns around.

skuehl
06-06-2007, 12:35 AM
I only surf with a bog over my head. I find this very effective in cutting down on CM exposure. Thats just me though. May not work for everyone.

Ryan27r
06-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Yes Chicago190 imo it is loud and obnoxious I would much rather have a FAE over side exhaust.

JDK
06-06-2007, 01:32 AM
I think hes saying when someone falls and you bring the rope back to them your head is right next to the exhaust as the boat turns around.

Yikes....how close do some people come to their skier/boarder when turning around after a fall??? If the boat is closer than ~ 5ft. when going past someone in the water, and the driver is sitting in the seat, they will lose sight of skier/boarder.....definitely not cool.

sand2snow22
06-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Yikes....how close do some people come to their skier/boarder when turning around after a fall??? If the boat is closer than ~ 5ft. when going past someone in the water, and the driver is sitting in the seat, they will lose sight of skier/boarder.....definitely not cool.

You have to come pretty close when surfing b/c the rope is so short......