PDA

View Full Version : Fake a Lake OR Perko Flush-Pro In Line

bjm300zx
06-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi guys, I bought a Fake/Lake that worked once but 2nd time I got no water through the exhaust and shut it down as I was nervous of frying the impeller or worst. It doesn't seem to seal probably on my 2002 X5 which has a square pick-up and the fake/lake is round. How have others found these and to what sucess?

I am considering the Flush-Pro as it is much easier, you don't have to crawl under the boat, you can see it work,and could use for winterizing etc. How have others found these and to what sucess?

Thanks for the feedback

mayo93prostar
06-05-2007, 06:42 AM
I have used the perko flush pro in both my 87 and 97 prostars and it works well. I have noticed that the raw water pump has enough suction to draw air in from the pickup but I believe this is because the water pressure from my hose is not high enough. but it cools well and is easy to use. just hook the hose up and run the engine. I recommend the perko.

Ben
06-05-2007, 07:22 AM
I spent $5 or $10 @ Depot and bought 3 parts:

1. Double female metal garden hose fitting / adaptor
2. Platic Sleeve that the OD slides into the raw water pickup hose connected to the tranny cooler (may have been treaded on one end)
3. Adaptor / union to connect #1 & #2 above.

Works great, was cheap, and is small. Not sure what flush pro costs.

beatle78
06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
U sed the flushpro on my old BU and my new MC, works well but put a plastic connector on the end of your garden hose to make a good seal.

The metal garden hose end always seem to leak.

Rallyspitman
06-05-2007, 07:46 AM
I have a weed filter ( or 'water strainer') fitted. Just unscrew the top from that and stick your garden hose down the suction side pipe. Works a treat, and not extra joints in the system to casue problems/leaks/air leaks.
When you shut the engine down, the weed filter fills up then 'overflows' down the pickup hose and out the pickup, so no problems of water in the back of the boat.
I really can't see any advantage to a flush pro etc. and everyone should have a strainer fitted anyway - it's amazing what debris you pick-up.

TRBenj
06-05-2007, 08:59 AM

2. Platic Sleeve that the OD slides into the raw water pickup hose connected to the tranny cooler (may have been treaded on one end)

I did something similar.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/strainer_hose.jpg

1"x1"x3/4" barbed plastic tee, a 3/4" brass NPT to GHT adapter, a garden hose valve and 2 hose clamps. About $15 at Home Depot.

dmayer84
06-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I did something similar. 1"x1"x3/4" barbed plastic tee, a 3/4" brass NPT to GHT adapter, a garden hose valve and 2 hose clamps. About $15 at Home Depot.

Mine is just like that but I used all metal and I put in a ball valve before the tee so that the water would go to the impeller and not out of the intake.

Kummer
06-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Flush-Pro works for me. for 50 bucks it far exceeds a home grown solution imo

Sodar
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
If anyone wants a FlushPro, I have one I will let go... I took it off my '96 190, to put on my 2007 197, but I can not make it fit, so it is up for grabs to anyone interested!! $70 new, $30 + shipping for mine

OhioX14
06-05-2007, 12:14 PM
One warning I would make is to make sure your garden hose can keep up with what your engine demands. I remove the hose from the intake to the raw water pump, attach a piece of clear vinyl hose of the same ID, and put the other end in a five gallon bucket with the garden hose. With the hose running at full flow, and the bucket almost full, I start the engine and even at idle speed it only takes a couple of minutes before I have to shut down the engine because the bucket is about empty. I then have to wait for the bucket to refill and start her back up again.

This makes me wonder how many are starving their engine of cooling water by using these devices?

Just my :twocents:

dmayer84
06-05-2007, 12:17 PM
One warning I would make is to make sure your garden hose can keep up with what your engine demands. I remove the hose from the intake to the raw water pump, attach a piece of clear vinyl hose of the same ID, and put the other end in a five gallon bucket with the garden hose. With the hose running at full flow, and the bucket almost full, I start the engine and even at idle speed it only takes a couple of minutes before I have to shut down the engine because the bucket is about empty. I then have to wait for the bucket to refill and start her back up again.

This makes me wonder how many are starving their engine of cooling water by using these devices?

If it is not overheating, is it still getting starved of water?

JKTX21
06-05-2007, 12:28 PM

I have no idea what side of this I'm going to be on, but I am ready to hear the debate!

Seems like if you are running enough water through the system to keep the impeller wet, it would be ok. But on the other hand, I wouldn't run my boat WOT with a water hose hooked up to it either.

Sodar
06-05-2007, 12:38 PM
With the hose running at full flow, and the bucket almost full, I start the engine and even at idle speed it only takes a couple of minutes before I have to shut down the engine because the bucket is about empty. I then have to wait for the bucket to refill and start her back up again.

I must have higher pressure, because if I run my hose full open and leave the boat at idle, th bucket will overflow. I actually need to rev my motor every minute or so, to get the water level down in the bucket.

IMO, I think that there are too many variables, to make a case for "starving engines of cooling water by using these devices." I used a Flush-Pro for 4 years and my temp, impeller and water pump all lived to provide the new owner many more years of service...

tex
06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Back in the day at Sea World-We had SN's and were in salt water. We would flush with the Perko type flush systems and let them run forever. We would rev them and they would never heat up.

Andyg
06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Until your engine is up to operating temp the thermostat will only allow the water that is in the engine to circulate. Any water that you are sucking up until that point is only being pushed through the exhaust manifolds. And really the only reason you should be running your engine on land is to get it up to operating temp to change the oil, winterizing, or flushing salt water. Therefor using a hose will be enough water.

TRBenj
06-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Like others have implied, as long as the impeller is lubricated and the motor isnt overheating (mine stays at a constant 160), theres no harm being done. We've used the same setup I posted above on our boats for 15 years, and get long life out of our impellers. Since theres no load on the motor when in neutral, it doesnt even matter that its sucking a lot of air through the water pickup. It is actually beneficial in that the water can be turned on before starting the boat and any excess water pressure exits out the bottom.

OhioX14
06-05-2007, 02:34 PM
I really wasn't trying to stir up a hornet's nest with this one, but was just curiuos of the impact of having less water available than the raw water pump has capability of pulling on its own. Some very good information was shared rather quickly which is not only greatly appreciated by me, but I'm gussing will be very helpful to others as well.

Thank you! :D

JKTX21
06-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I think it was a great post. I think some people like to have the piece of mind that their equipment is operated under normal conditions while out of the water.

gardinerbowen
06-05-2007, 04:59 PM

Have any pic's?

bkblaida
06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Have the Flush Pro on our 97 Prostar 205 and very happy with it. Note of warning; we have great water pressure and last year I cracked the unit due to leaving it on with the engine off. Flush Pro / Skidim replaced at no charge, but I now use a valve at the end of the garden hose (where it attaches to the flush pro) and let just enough water run to keep the impeller wet until I am running than I open up the valve. I have never had the boat overheat. Must say I like the home made version, the only difference I see is the flush pro has a check valve to prevent the water from running out the intake, very helpful when adding antifreeze in the fall.

Ben
06-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Have any pic's?

Here ya go. Double female hose piece, PVC female adaptor 3/4 x 1 (3/4 female pipe thread to 1" PVC pipe). Then brass dbl male adaptor that threads into the 3/4" PVC & Hose connector. Forgot to include teflon tape.... I remember really cranking to connect the 2 brass parts, but have been using for 4-5 years.

Hook up in the water pickup line somewhere prior to the impeller. On my boat ('94 LT-1), I simply disconnect the hose from the output side of the tranny cooler and slide over the PVC part, using same hoseclamp to secure.

OhioX14
06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Disconnect the hose from the output side of the tranny cooler and slide over the PVC part, use same hoseclamp to secure.

This would depend on which engine you have, correct? With the MCX the trans cooler is down stream of the raw water pump so if you hooked up here the raw water pump would be starved for water and would cook the impeller. Unless I'm missing something here?

Ben
06-07-2007, 06:54 AM
OK, I would agree. This is how my '94 is. I'll edit the post to prevent issues as you mention.

hester
06-07-2007, 08:21 AM
When I purchased my boat it was equipped with this homemade contraption. It appears to work well and thanks to good water pressure the boat throws a decent amount of water. I donít need to flush for longs periods of time and never for salt water so it works good for me.

boyd
06-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Mine is even simpler. I drilled 1/2 hole in a bathroom plunger and put a garden hose adapter through the hole. I then cut off about 2" off the wooden handle of the plunger and it works great. I got all my stuff at the dollar general store for $4.

boyd

Ryan
06-07-2007, 09:34 AM
When I purchased my boat it was equipped with this homemade contraption. It appears to work well and thanks to good water pressure the boat throws a decent amount of water. I don’t need to flush for longs periods of time and never for salt water so it works good for me.

Don't you get a majority of the water from your hose going out the bottom through the water intake?

PS I like my Flush Pro.

trickskier
06-07-2007, 09:41 AM
I currently use a Fake-a-Lake, but it's a PITA to crawl under a tandem axle trailer to install and remove.........I'm going to install a Flush-Pro, I had one on my old ProStar and never had any problems with it.

TRBenj
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Don't you get a majority of the water from your hose going out the bottom through the water intake?

You didnt ask me, but mine is set up exactly the same way. With the engine off, yes, the water goes directly out the intake grate. When its running, the pump draws the water into the motor. Its probably drawing a lot of air too, but with no load and plenty of water to keep the impeller lubricated, its not an issue.

hester
06-07-2007, 01:44 PM

TRBenj is right, there is enough pull to keep the majority of the water headed in the right direction. It's not the perfect solution but it's not expensive either and gets the job done.

Ryan
06-07-2007, 02:01 PM
For convenience I put a 4' section of translucent hose with capped fittings on my Flush Pro. It's much easier to connect the garden hose while standing on the ground as opposed to digging into the engine compartment. I came real close to putting the through-hull fitting on, but glad I didn't.

gardinerbowen
06-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks ben, I have a 1995 LT-1

Can i do the same thing ?

pepi
07-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Well, I'm fairly new to the inboard scene, and am finding that parts and accessories are either hard to find or expensive in the great white north. All I did for mine (88 PS190) is disconnect the intake hose from the pickup, prop it up vertically and insert the end of the garden hose right in. Fire the boat up and off you go. I find this works well because you can really see how much water gets into the cooling system. Also there are no fittings/restrictions between the hose and the cooling line.
Granted, I run in really clean water so the only time I need to do this is when I want to warm up the engine for an oil change or run it for minor service and I'm sure that this would be a real PITA if I had to flush every time I was out.

Tourney Team 197
07-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I spent about $10 and attached a female hose connection to a plunger. This works very well. (assuming you have adequate water pressure coming out of the hose)

dmayer84
07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I spent about $10 and attached a female hose connection to a plunger. This works very well. (assuming you have adequate water pressure coming out of the hose)

Works great on the boats that they didnt put the water intake under one of the trailer bunks :mad:

Ryan
07-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Works great on the boats that they didnt put the water intake under one of the trailer bunks :mad:

The weight of your boat sits on the intake grate, or just to the side and ptentially rubbing against it loading, unloading and trailering?

east tx skier
07-09-2007, 04:29 PM
5 gallon bucket and flexible, clear PVC tubing (1.25" inner diameter). Drop hose in bucket, attach tubing to transmission cooler and drop other end in bucket. Turn on the hose. Fill up 3/4 full on the bucket and start the engine. Boat pulls what it needs and I can make sure it's drawing water.

Of the two you mentioned, I'd go flush pro. I didn't care for the plunger.

dmayer84
07-09-2007, 05:03 PM
The weight of your boat sits on the intake grate, or just to the side and ptentially rubbing against it loading, unloading and trailering?

The freshwater intake grate is directly under the bunk, I couldnt find it untill I traced the hose from the engine to the intake. The only one that is visible is the intake for the ballast tanks, which I thought was the intake when I didnt know any better.