PDA

View Full Version : Engine cover won't open

Dan7955
06-05-2007, 12:51 AM
I am trying to help out a friend with his 2000 MariStar 230SV. The sundeck/engine cover will not open. I have tested the switch and it has power and is working in both directions. The lift arm:confused: is just not working. I have read other threads on this topic but none of them rellay helped me. Where is the release located? How many hydralic arms are there? Is there more than one release? Please help!

JimN
06-05-2007, 01:02 AM
It's electric, not hydraulic. If it sounds like the motor works in both directions, someone with thin, strong fingers should work them into the corners and lift, to see if the screws came out. It should lift up if that's the case. If not, try having them lift while the motor is activated in the up direction. If it can be raised a couple of inches, there's a pin with a ring on it and that will need to be pulled out to raise it manually. Also, the rear seat cushions can be removed along with the storage bins, all across the back. Once they're out, someone can reach under and pull the pin from the base of the motor. The deck will raise up after the pin it out but it's not light.

Dan7955
06-05-2007, 01:11 AM
I don't actually here the motor. I just put a voltage tester on the up and down leeds and they are sending power to the motor.

Where is this "pin at the base of the motor? Is it between the motor and the bottom of the boat? Off to one side or the other? Plastic, stainless.....???

Please understand, this is not my boat and i am not at all familiar with what it looks like with the hatch open.

Thanks

JimN
06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
It's a stainless pin, about 3/8" diameter and there's a ring on both of them, so it can be pulled out. There's also a two-wire connector at the bottom, so if the bottom pin is pulled, don't just try to open it completely. Only raise it enough to get to the top one and then make sure the connector is plugged in before trying it again. The bottom pin is there so the ram can be moved while service is being done. They used a pair of gas shocks before but those don't last too long and a few sun decks blew open while trailering.

Dan7955
06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Ok thanks, I will look for the pin/pins? Can you tell me where I should be looking? What parts might i find near it/them to help me know htat i am in the right area? I looked around last night and I could not find it/them. Is it way in the back? Is it within sight, or do i have to feel around for it?

My son and I tried to pry the lid up but were only able to get the right side (drivers side) up about 2". We pulled like mad and it just wouldn't budge. This is really getting frustrating.

No good deed ever goes unpunished!

Davross
06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
You can lift the driver’s side easier because the hydraulic ram is on the passenger side holding the deck down.
You need to get your hands in on the passenger side to get the pin off the ram which you will find about 2ft inboard and about 10inch from the front lip of the deck.
Personally I think you will struggle to raise it enough to get your hands in. A better bet might be to undo the two hinges at the rear of the deck and get in that way, I think they are accessible with the deck down.

Dan7955
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Removing the two hinge bolts is the first thing i tried. They must have a nut that is spinning on the inside. There is no way other than cutting the bolts that I can see.

Thanks for the detailed location of the lift pin. I will look for that when I get back home. If I can's find it, I guess it will be hack saw time. :(

Dan7955
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I finally got it open. If anyone out there has the same problem, the only way you can get the hatch open is to cut the hinge bolts. Once you cut the bolts you can raise the drivers side just enough to get a fish tape in and hook the pin ring. It is a mojor pain, but now that I have it open, I know that there is just no othere way to do it. There is no way to remove the seat back to access the release pin. There is no way you can rech the pin from the seat bottom because there is a wall between the engine and the lift motor. Really poor design on the part of Master Craft.

Thanks to all that tried to help.