PDA

View Full Version : yellow transmission fluid?

lawndude
06-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I have an 03 x30- i checked my transmission fluid level the other day and it was yellow. I removed that fluid and put the 15-40 oil in. I went out, came back and it was yellow again. Any help would be great.

bigmac
06-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I have an 03 x30- i checked my transmission fluid level the other day and it was yellow. I removed that fluid and put the 15-40 oil in. I went out, came back and it was yellow again. Any help would be great.

I'd be inclined to suspect that you're getting water in your transmission oil since that produces a cafe-au-lait color. The most likely culprit would be your transmission cooler - it's a heat exchanger and if the oil coils in it break, raw water at pretty high velocity gets blown right in there. That's fairly easy to pull out and check. Ought to less than $100 to replace, but get some black paint for it...

http://www.skidim.com/images/r147002.jpg

fintek9
06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm picking up my 01 x-star today from the dealer, brought it in to get the tranny seal fixed... from what i've read up on and as they confirmed
is that the water is entering though the worn rear seal! they say with any water in the bilge area it will travel up the shaft into the tranny???
don't get it! but, the cooler was ok, that was a fear of mine. they say it happens with direct drives also, so why don't they suck up water all the time? this is the first it's happened to me since i've owned the boat! they said just keep it dry. (very hard to do)
$876.52 later, atleast i got my boat back, I still don't see why they (MC) does'nt get to the bottom of this problem????

lawndude
06-05-2007, 06:07 PM
did the seal fix the problem?

88 PS190
06-05-2007, 08:17 PM
was it milky? it turns milky with water... not so much a yellow.

fintek9
06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
did the seal fix the problem?
yes it did! as mr. solocam (I love my mathews solocam also)
mentioned it was a milky color!!

Sodar
06-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I am a totally idiot and claim to know NOTHING, but didn't some of the v-drives use oil rather than tranny fluid? Perhaps the yellow you are seeing is golden motor oil? :confused:

fintek9
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I am a totally idiot and claim to know NOTHING, but didn't some of the v-drives use oil rather than tranny fluid? Perhaps the yellow you are seeing is golden motor oil? :confused:
I don't have my manual with me right now but it states taking tranny fuild dexon(?) 3 "GM" rated!? i believe! 01 x-star w/ hurth 1:5:1

Sodar
06-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I don't have my manual with me right now but it states taking tranny fuild dexon(?) 3 "GM" rated!? i believe! 01 x-star w/ hurth 1:5:1

I know that the manual says that it should use Tranny fluid, but I also know that there was a service bulletin that motor oil was OK to use, if the customer was complaining of transmission/v-drive noise.

dmayer84
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
My manual says tranny oil, sticker on the tranny says engine oil. I took out engine oil, put in engine oil

bigmac
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't have my manual with me right now but it states taking tranny fuild dexon(?) 3 "GM" rated!? i believe! 01 x-star w/ hurth 1:5:1There were complaints of noise at idle with some of Hurth's V-drives when they were using ATF, so they recommended people switch to 15W40, same as the engine's oil. Either will work just fine. If you call Hurth today and ask them what you should use in your V-drive, they'll tell you 15W40 engine oil (at least that's what they told my dealer).

Water in ATF looks like a strawberry shake, water in engine oil looks like cafe-au-lait.

fintek9
06-07-2007, 10:46 AM
hummmmmm....gotta look on mine, over this one!!
very interesting...

fintek9
06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
that was it... ATF, I knew I was wrong on that one...I don't have a noise or at least i did'nt, did'nt have a chance to take it out last night after i got it home! will tonight thou....

lav
07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok so if I understand this correctly it is ok to run 15w40 in tranny also
ZF Hurth 63 IV-1.6
2002 Xstar
Haven't had any noise just would make it alot easier to only have to use one fluid

Thanks for any help

Greg

bigmac
07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Ok so if I understand this correctly it is ok to run 15w40 in tranny also
ZF Hurth 63 IV-1.6
2002 Xstar
Haven't had any noise just would make it alot easier to only have to use one fluid

Thanks for any help

Greg

That's the same transmission I have and it came from Indmar with 15W40. To be on the safe side, I'd call Indmar before making that fluid switch.

lav
07-29-2008, 05:11 AM
thanks bigmac I will give them a call today and double check

chevyluv
09-29-2013, 11:26 AM
i had this today as well. bought the boat this year. was checking the transmission fluid while looking at a few other things for winterizing it and noticed mine was bright yellow. it didnt look separated though it was a single consistency and the boat has sat for a litle over a month now.

JimN
09-29-2013, 11:37 AM
If oil that was clear is now opaque and its color is similar to what it would be if the original color was mixed with white, water is in the oil and it was mixed while the engine/transmission was operating. The oil can't actually mix with water, but it can emulsify. This is the same reason mayonnaise is thick and white- it's materials that don't mix, but can become suspended after being agitated vigorously.

You'll need to find where the water got in and repair that before flushing the transmission. Replacing the oil without running it won't take care of the problem- it needs to be run with new oil and you need to make sure no water remains.

chevyluv
09-29-2013, 12:33 PM
i did have waterbuild up in the bildge and was higher then my bildge pump. a ballast pump sleeve split on me. il take a picture of the dipstick and post it up. it dosent look like cafe-au-lait like some guys say it should. it may just be fresh oil and im just paranoid

JimN
09-29-2013, 01:12 PM
i did have waterbuild up in the bildge and was higher then my bildge pump. a ballast pump sleeve split on me. il take a picture of the dipstick and post it up. it dosent look like cafe-au-lait like some guys say it should. it may just be fresh oil and im just paranoid

Collect some and look at it- if it looks like new oil, it's OK but if it's cloudy, it has water in it.