PDA

View Full Version : Truck Tires

chevy08bud
06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
I'm looking for opinions here. I'm looking at the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires and want to hear about any experiences that you have had with either or both of these tires. They are going on my 02 Z71 Avalanche. Any input would be appreciated, I'm kind of torn between the two and have read as much as I can about them, so I'm looking for real world experiences.
Thanks

LakePirate
06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
I have the BF Goodrich All-terrain TA KO 265/70/17 on my 02 'Lanche. Love 'em. On my second set, got 85K or so out of my 1st set. I would at least give them a look.

Holtrodj
06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I've got the BFG AT's as well. I'm a believer...

Hrkdrivr
06-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I just bought a set of the Wrangler SAs (LT 285 75/16, 10-ply) for my diesel Excursion. The max limit on the sidewalls is 80 psi so I set them at 60 psi (on the recommendation of the tire dealer) for a smoother around-town ride. BUT, the steering was noticeable more squirelly with the new tires. It was like you couldn't feel where the "center" was, it drifted all over the place and the steering was VERY touchy and twitchy.

Well, I just dragged my X-45 cross country (900 miles) and for the long drive I pumped them up to the 80 psi max...completely different truck. Rock solid at 70 mph the whole way. And when I disconnected the boat at my destination, much to my pleasure, the truck drove very nicely then too w/no trailer and tires at 80 psi.

Bottom line, LOVE the Wrangler SAs, but I'd recommend running them at max pressure even when not towing. They look pretty cool too.

trickskier
06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
MY advice: Michelin LTX M/S for 2WD or Michelin LTX A/T for 4WD.......You can't beat Michelin for the ride or performance..............;)

JohnE
06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
MY advice: Michelin LTX M/S for 2WD or Michelin LTX A/T for 4WD.......You can't beat Michelin for the ride or performance..............;)

I was going to say the same thing basically. I'm 100% sold on Michelin. They wear like iron and ride like a dream. Years ago I put them on a cherokee and thought I had a new vehicle. Can't help with the question in the OP.

TNH2oSkier
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
We have the Fortura SA's on my wifes SUV. They are great on it, but it is 99% soccer mom machine. They ride very well, better then the Mich LTX MS, and they were the same price. Her 4runner LTX's lasted 70K, so I wasnt complaining.

I have a customer that runs the wrangler version on his trucks, and he tells me they are more forgiving then any other tire he has run. He said he and his men arent very good at mainting proper rotating scedules.

I think in the end they are all top of the line tires, and you should get excellent ride and life out of either.

Slinkyredfoot
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Bought a set of Fortera Silent Armor for my truck, very nice, smooth, quiet ride on my ride....I would recommend to anyone looking for tires....

chevy08bud
06-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Are the BFG ATs pretty loud? I'm looking for something that is more or less quiet when driving. It is mostly an on road truck that very rarely sees any mud or field action (just hunting trips 2-5 times a year). I however don't want to get stuck in any situation that I'm in though, be it on a ramp or out in a field while hunting. Thanks for all of the replies so far, keep em comming.

6ballsisall
06-05-2007, 12:15 AM

I agree. I had the LTX A/T on my Dodge Ram 2500 w/ Cummins. I am still impressed w/ the miles I got out of those tires. They are QUIET too... Only frustration with them was in the snow, they weren't very good in snow conditions.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-05-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm looking for opinions here. I'm looking at the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires and want to hear about any experiences that you have had with either or both of these tires. They are going on my 02 Z71 Avalanche. Any input would be appreciated, I'm kind of torn between the two and have read as much as I can about them, so I'm looking for real world experiences.
Thanks
I can say, I do not think I know anyone with these tires you selected.
I see alot of BFGs, Nittos, and Michelins. Personally, when it comes time for my trucks to get new meats, I'll probably go back to Michelins. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Sounds like there are people on here that like them.

chevy08bud
06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Not that we get a ton of snow around here, but I don't like feeling like I'm driving a 7800# ice skate like I am now. The tires I have are way worn out.

chevy08bud
06-05-2007, 12:22 AM
I do like Michelins as well, just never had them on a personal vehicle. I'm going to check out the tires mentioned above and see what kind of deal I can get on them.

Ben
06-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Wranglers. I'm on my 2nd set (different trucks) and love them. 285/75/16 on F350. Also had 235/75/15 on older truck. Bought Firestones once to get a good deal, bad move. Will not buy a truck tire w/o wrangler written on the side. Plus, they look great. Also convinced a co-worked to buy, who is very happy as well.

My best experience was noticing 2 nails in a tire when I was in FL on spring break ~ 10 yrs ago. Not sure where they came from, but I made sure to have them repaired promptly when we got back to OH after the fun week was over. Not a good move on my part young & stupid) - but a good advertisement for the tires...

Evan Jones
06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Used to run Wranglers on my trucks, then switched to BFG All Terrains for sizing reasons. They seem to wear a little better than Wranglers. I've had great luck with both though. Go for the Wranglers !

jraben8
06-05-2007, 08:56 AM
I know that you didn't ask about the BFG AT's but I'm going to be replacing mine in the next 2 weeks. I have 65K on mine on an Expedition and I didn't really think that truck would sit on any tire for that long.

I'm going with either those again, the Wrangler Silent Armor or the Nitto TG's.

ctehlert
06-05-2007, 09:20 AM
I have the Wrangler SA's on my Sierra, and had AT/S prior to that. The new ones seems quieter on the road, with improved traction in snow and dirt. I got 95K out of the AT/S, but that was with highway miles and frequent rotations. I have about 40K on these, and should get another 40K out of them.

Loved the Michelins on a previous truck as well, but I get the Goodyears at a great price thru a connection and will stick with them.

Jkelly
06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I would stay away from the Michelins SUV Terrians the tread wear is very poor . I put a set on my wife's Volve XC90 (100% soccer mom car), had them rotated and balanced every 5K miles, 35K miles and all four are down to the wear indicators.

TRBenj
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
The GY Wrangleer SA's are supposed to be great tires. No experience with them personally, but I was recently in the market for a set and gave them a hard look. The only negative I could find is that theyre pretty heavy- and most people I asked noticed a decrease of 2-3 MPG.

Other tires I considered were the BFG ATKO, Bridgestone Dueler Revos and Firestone Destination A/T's. The BFG's would last forever and are pretty tough tires- but their onroad wet performance supposedly degrades as they age. The Revo's and Destinations were said to have a better on-road ride, and have good tread life.

I went with the Destinations because they were significantly cheaper than the others, and just as highly rated. Ive only got 2500 miles on them so far, but wet performance, MPG, and road noise are all very good. I love the look too.

chevy08bud
06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
I've heard of people loosing a few MPG using either Silent Armor tire, but didn't know if it was enough to complain about. Have any of you experienced this?

jraben8
06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
The GY Wrangleer SA's are supposed to be great tires. No experience with them personally, but I was recently in the market for a set and gave them a hard look. The only negative I could find is that theyre pretty heavy- and most people I asked noticed a decrease of 2-3 MPG.

I have heard the same thing about the SA's but I find it hard to believe that they could really be much heavier than BFG's. But I don't know anyone that has had experience with both yet.

airdrew99
06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I installed tires at Sam's for a while. We had Goodyear Wranglers brought back to us more than any other tire due to seperating tread, bulge in sidewall, or just unhappy with ride quality. Only one Michelin was brought back while I worked there, and it was obvious that the driver had hit a curb with it. Only Michelin or BFG's for my truck.

uawaterskier
06-07-2007, 12:54 PM
my dad has wranglers on his jeep wrangler lol. They seem to do ok. My buddy has BFG all terrians, and they wore out quick on the street. I have 35's BFG Mud terrians on my truck, but i dont drive it much

chevy08bud
06-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Looks like I'll probably be going with the Wranglers. I was going to get them this week, but after my wife's monte SS needed rear struts, rear tires, and a cam sensor at the tune of $850 or so, I'll have to wait a couple more weeks. Thanks for all of the replies.

uawaterskier
06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
good deal! My dads are holding up really well, in fact I have his wrangler today and the tires are nice and quiet on the road

msetexas
06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Chevy08Bud:

I put the Fortera Silent Armor's on our 4wd Yukon XL about 25,000 miles ago - my observations......

1 - treadlife has been very good, little to no off road driving little to no 4wd except occasionally on a boat ramp
2 - very quiet, especially compared to OEM (can't remember what they were, I think Michelins)
3 - excellent traction on dry roads and in rain - only driven on ice a few times, no sliding but no speed nor rapid acceleration either
4 - no significant change in gas mileage, if any
5 - I will buy these again, no question

I purchased mine at Discount Tire. A tip no matter which tires you choose - when I bought mine, Discount Tire had different prices by zip code on their internet site. My were on sale (about $30 or $40 less per tire) across the state (though 300 miles in Texas) so I printed the other location's price and took it to my local store - after a short discussion, they honored the price which was better than anywhere else.

32offer
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I've had two sets of Bridgestone Dueler AT's on my Chevy Z71. They ride really well, are very quiet, have white lettering, very cool looking tread pattern. I don't do alot of mud either, but this winter I took a "shortcut" home one day down an old gravel road after a snow. Nowhere to turn around so I kept the hammer down through about 20" of snow in places, and it crawled right on through. I'd say I was only 50% tread at the time, also.

milkmania
06-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I'll never use anything other than Michelin LTX's:twocents:

Leroy
06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Have the same on my Lexus and really like them.

I'll never use anything other than Michelin LTX's:twocents:

M-Funf
06-07-2007, 05:37 PM

But they're French :rolleyes:

trickskier
06-07-2007, 09:54 PM
But they're French :rolleyes:
They may be French...........But the Michelin LTX IS the BEST tire on the market fo light trucks........:D

JohnnyB
06-07-2007, 10:01 PM
If you can still get 'em, the Firestone Destination AT is a great tire for the $$. About 20-30/ea less than the Dueler AT. Very good tire. Long tread life. However, I think they are discontinued.

hester
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Looking to replace the tires on my 2007 Silverado Crew 1500 P265/65 18. I've got 30,000 miles on the Dueler A/Ts and they are not wearing that well.

My first choice is the Michelin LTX M/S but I've learned this tire size is odd. I'll probably have to switch to a 255/65or70 18 to have more options.

Any suggestions.

Ric
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I will still suggest the goodyear wrangler. you can get 70k out of them if you rotate them properly and they are a good off-road tire. I ran 305/70/16's on my half ton but I had to level the truck with a few cranks to the torsion bars on the front for them to fit.

jkski
10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I had the Michelin LTX M/S on my last truck and they were great tires. I loved everything about them except the price tag, but have to admit they are the best tire I've had. A good friend of mine works for one of the largest tire supply warehouses around and as such gets to test all of them and hands down he recommended these.

hester
10-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I had the Michelin LTX M/S on my last truck and they were great tires.

I agree but according to their website and tirerack.com they only make one size 18 M/S and it will not work well with my truck.

jkski
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
What about going to the LT(light truck) version of the tire?
I know I went up a size on mine, but it was a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and I had plenty of room.
They look great also, wish I had them on my current truck.

Roonie's
10-10-2008, 03:14 PM

X2 for these tires. There is a reason they are rated number one for truck tire on Tirerack.com. They are the best tires I have purchased yet. Don't take our word for it, read the hundreds of reviews by people there.

p.s. mine are on 17

lanier92prostar
10-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I agree with the michelins. First tire I have had on my truck that has lasted over 25K miles. Before, I had the OEM Bridgestones 20K and some Yokohama that lasted about 22K. So far I have over 25K and they are still looking good.

MIMC
10-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Hester -

Spend the $$$ and get the Mich LTX - I gaurantee you will not regret it. If you primarlily use the vehicle for normal driving conditions and plan on keeping the truck until the wheels fall off then they are the best tire out there. Great traction and quiet. I had them on my 94' Chevy K1500, replaced them at 115,000 miles, but still probably had 10K left of safe (non-snow) driving on them. My 98' Chevy K1500 currently has 104,000 miles on them - will probably replace once the snow starts falling here in MI. Just my 2 cents!

MIMC

hester
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Hester -

Spend the $$$ and get the Mich LTX - I gaurantee you will not regret it.

I agree completely.....$$$ is not the problem it's the selection of tires for that size (265/65 18). Until Micheline decides to make more options, for the LTX M/S, in 18" I'm out of luck. And since I don't know jack about truck tires I'm not sure what my second choice should be.

Anyone tried the Wrangler SilentArmors?

stuartmcnair
10-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Granted, this will be based on use on a 3/4 ton, but the Firestone Destination line was rated very well by SD truck users. Business partner had them on his SuperDuty and loved them. I will replace my factory Conti's with them when the time comes.

No Skeez
10-13-2008, 05:23 PM
I put Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my 99 F-150, and it was like a whole new truck compared to the Good Year Wranglers that were on there. I've since put 35k on the truck, and rotating them at every third oil change, they're wearing amazingly well. Not sure if anyone else has any experience, but I can say Im quite impressed. Plus, I got the "good buddy" deal, and got 4 285/70/17s mounted and balanced for under $550. Hope that helps...

Bruce
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
I put Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my 99 F-150, and it was like a whole new truck compared to the Good Year Wranglers that were on there. I've since put 35k on the truck, and rotating them at every third oil change, they're wearing amazingly well. Not sure if anyone else has any experience, but I can say Im quite impressed. Plus, I got the "good buddy" deal, and got 4 285/70/17s mounted and balanced for under $550. Hope that helps...

Same experience. Great tire. My Silverado no longer "rode like a truck"