PDA

View Full Version : Minor Prop Strike

WakeboardTN
06-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I had a minor prop strike this weekend out on the lake. This is a 4 blade SS Prop on my X-10. It looks just fine visually, but from the additional minor vibration and difficulty turning a hard right (wants to slip and go straight and throws erratic spray) I assume it needs to be checked. My main concern is that there is a minor "squeaking" nose when I put the boat in gear, and take it back out of gear. I'm hoping this isn't a symptom of something greater. Upon inspection the drive shaft appears to be undamaged. The "strike" event happened while pulling a wakeboarder at about 20mph - it just felt like going over a speedbump and the pull resumed (i stopped shortly thereafter to check things out) - point being that the event wasn't cripling. Thoughts?

KnoxX2
06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
What lake do you go to?

WakeboardTN
06-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm all over really - the strike happened Friday at Old Hickory, Weekend before last I was at Norris, and Sun I went to Center Hill.

KnoxX2
06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
We are at Norris alot. If you are up there by Hickory Star come by.

EJ OJPROP
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
You can drop the prop off here at the factory in Loudon, TN and I can check it out for you.

Eric@OJPROPS.com
800-359-9730

TNH2oSkier
06-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Eric from OJ is a great supporter of this site, oj makes a great prop. I have more luck running the standard OJ legend than the machined props. Tellico and FT. Loudon are hard on props.

East TN Propeller does a great repair job also. I have had several fixed there.

www.etnpropeller.com

Leroy
06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
TJ: What is so bad about Tellico and Ft Loudon? Are they marked, stumps???

Eric from OJ is a great supporter of this site, oj makes a great prop. I have more luck running the standard OJ legend than the machined props. Tellico and FT. Loudon are hard on props.

East TN Propeller does a great repair job also. I have had several fixed there.

www.etnpropeller.com (http://www.etnpropeller.com)

WakeboardTN
06-04-2007, 03:24 PM
After reading a few posts here and such - I went home during lunch to check on the prop and see about further damage and saw something that I didn't catch upon pulling the boat out of the water. I noticed the strut to be bent slightly to the right while under the boat looking back at the prop (tho' the supporting bolts in the gelcoat are just fine). So it looks like its a little more serious than I expected - I'm sure the shaft must be bent too b/c I doubt there's much room for play for that type of thing. Let's home this one is not too costly.

EJ - I'll probably have you look at the prop if I can get out that way (I'm in Nashville).

Knox - I was at hickory star for memorial day weekend (actually put in at 33). First time in that area and liked it MUCH better than the Stardust/Sequoya area that I'm so used to. Will let you know, next time I get out that way. Look for the wakekite - as I bought one of those to play with this year!

KnoxX2
06-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Sounds good we are up there almost every weekend. Our Floating house is at Hickory Star and you can't miss it. Just look for the big Red Mastercraft banner.

Hope every thing is ok with the boat!!!

WakeboardTN
06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks - I will definitely look for you next time I'm out there. I'll post the details of this repair for others looking for an idea on what a similar repair might cost.