PDA

View Full Version : Weird Starting Issue

BIGBADBLUE
06-04-2007, 07:26 AM
I have a '94 PS205 with 350 Throttle Body. Put it in the lake and it started great, ran it over to a slip to pick up the family and it would not start after I shut it off. It would not do anything, the only thing I could hear when I turned the key was the fuel system priming. It was not the kill switch as when I took that off the priming stopped. I played with the throttle (both in and out of gear) to make sure it was in the neutral position and that did not seem make a difference.

All of a sudden it started right up after about 40 tries and then started up right away the next 5 tries after shut down.

Anyone have a clue? Could it have been the throttle? Starter going bad? Ideas?

JimN
06-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Take it out without towing anyone and bypass the neutral safety switch when it fails to crank. They do go bad and being almost 20 years old, it's not unlikely. It's a pretty cheap part, too.

Datdude
06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
My 1995 PS 190 LT-1 did something similar at the beginning of last year. It turned out that I needed to put the boat into reverse and find just the right spot. Once I found that spot it would start every time. I had my throttle cable adjusted last week (but have not had the boat in the water yet) so hopefully it is better. My boat would not do it all the time which was weird. Good luck

JimN
06-04-2007, 10:26 AM
If it needs to be in any gear at all, the cable stretched, the switch is dirty or the pawl loosened/deformed. Not a terrible issue if you can get it to start reliably but at some point, you'll have to bypass the switch.

BIGBADBLUE
06-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks Jim ... is the switch behind the throttle?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
The neutral safety switch is usually on top of the transmission. It should be the only thing on there with two wires attatched.

BIGBADBLUE
06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks. A mechanic, I am not!!!

BIGBADBLUE
06-11-2007, 04:12 PM
This wekend the boat had starting issues on almost every turn of the key, however, after I moved the throttle back and forth a few times then it would turn over. Does this verify that it is the neutral switch? If so, is it hard to replace?

Thanks for the help ... it is not a big deal but just a pain in the neck.

Bad news for me on Sunday afternoon ... buried my ski ... went face first into ski ... and it looks like I tore a muscle in my shoulder. MRI on Thursday .... I am hoping only a couple weeks out.