PDA

View Full Version : kids!

milkmania
06-04-2007, 02:07 AM
cleaning out the storage building tonight.....

came across a Smith & Wesson Performance Center M945 1911 .45

called my son, and he said it was out there because he didn't know if was legitimate

:mad::mad::mad:

needless to say, It's 1:00am, and I'm so pissed off I can't see straight!

LD Hardwick
06-04-2007, 02:25 AM
How old is your son? Not very respectfull to hide a questionable firearm in someones home, especially without telling them. You should consider taking it to the police station. It might help put a criminal away. Good luck with it.

milkmania
06-04-2007, 02:34 AM
How old is your son? Not very respectfull to hide a questionable firearm in someones home, especially without telling them. You should consider taking it to the police station. It might help put a criminal away. Good luck with it.
he's 22....

I confronted him just now face to face, and he repeated he didn't know if it was legitimate

I asked him what he meant by legitimate

he said he bought it from a guy and he didn't know if it was stolen or whatever

crap, it's a $2500.00 (new) handgun.............still selling used around $1500.00

SMITH & WESSON INC Model 945 Performance Center Semi-Automatic Pistol

When the most experienced and demanding shooters in the world are in the market
for a handgun, they turn to the Smith & Wesson Performance Center. The
Performance Center produces limited run, unique design and special feature
firearms. By combining old world hand craftsmanship and modern computer technology,
they push the envelope of handgun design and engineering. Performance
Center handguns are the culmination of the history and innovation that
is Smith & Wesson.

this argument ain't over!:mad::mad::mad:

bret
06-04-2007, 06:05 AM
If you have a cop, who is a friend, get him to run the serial number - if it has one. If it comes up hot or the serial number has been flagged, see if you can drop it off as part of "weapons off the street". Most police departments will do this. If in a small town, I would talk to the Chief, maybe the local DA, turn it in if it's hot. good luck.

If it is legit, no reports on it, it is a great weapon. The fish scale parts are designed to reduce the weight and balance out the weapon. Still no excuse for your lack of information though.

bigmac
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Quite the potential can of worms, on a couple of different levels. I guess I'd be pissed if my son (also 22) were storing a pistol on my property I didn't know about. Next, he (and you) have to worry about the legality of the firearm. AFAIK, Oklahoma's gun laws relative to selling or transferring are pretty liberal. Here, the seller needs a "permit to transfer" and the buyer needs a "permit to acquire" but OK statutes don't appear to have any restrictions in that regard. I'd ask an attorney's opinion about that. I would definitely not ask a police officer, especially a friend. If the transfer was legal, then I'd ask that attorney to make inquiry about the status of the firearm's serial number (I hope it has a serial number - if it doesn't..filed off... I'd get an attorney and take the thing to the police ASAP.

If all of that works out, then there's the other issues like "why do you need a handgun?, why didn't you tell me about this? " etc and then the issue of what do you do with a handgun that your 22 year old non-target-shooting, non-firearm collecting son has purchased and is keeping hidden?

TonyB
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Kids! Sheesh!

Why do people have 'em?

Have you threatened him with the belt?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I wouldnt mess around with it Milk. I would call the police ASAP, tell them you found this gun(which is not lying), and want to know if its hot, or flagged. If they run the serial # and tell you its clean, keep it for yourself if they let you and work out the details with a father/son talk. Try and obtain some type of record that you went to the police with it in case soemthing turns up in the future. at least it shows you were up front with it. now as far as your son, he is your son, but personally I think him hiding that gun on you is dishonest and should be treated that way. I know he is an adult, but if he is living wiht you, then I think you can confiscate this seeing your his father. Kids need to be honest with their parents. That gun is probably hot being such a high end piece. He probalby bought it from someone not even knowing what it is. Its typically not the type of gun you see young people running around with. that is the type of gun that a serious shooter would own. something is fishy.....

BTW, I love the fish scales on the gun. Beautiful piece! I wish I had one. :cool:

Leroy
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Too bad to hear this Milk, it's hard to know what to do. I think I would really try to find out heart to heart what your son was doing before calling in the police. No need to step on a landmine if you can avoid it and find a solution...if he will talk straight.

Maristar210
06-04-2007, 10:11 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

chudson
06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
The following web site covers the laws of buying and selling of guns

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=ok

And talk to your lawyer.......Goodluck!!!

Also that would be a nice gun to own, legally!!!

06-04-2007, 10:33 AM
The reason I advised calling the police ASAP is for Milk's protection. Never mind the gun ownership part. what if the gun was used to commit a crime by a previous "owner" of it and then they sold it to Milk's son? now he possibly could be illegally owning a gun that was used in a crime. I just dont want to see Milk or his sun wrongfully accused because they are in possesion of the gun at this time. Call the police Milk, its the right thing to do for you as well as anyone else.

fintek9
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
MIlk, i'm with UMP and the rest, turn it in. you never know with anything nowadays, If you can keep it, it's a nice target gun..
but before you do turn it in,......WIPE YOUR PRINTS OFF........:o

hester
06-04-2007, 10:43 AM
I agree with Leroy the son needs to divulge all information this morning. This is not the time to play games because this could get real bad in a hurry. After that you could get advice from a lawyer and then go immediately to the police. UMP is right it needs to happen quickly so I would do all three steps before the end of the day.

If it were me I would want that gun in the police grinder at their earliest convenience. IMO this would be a horrible lesson for your son if either of you benefited (by keeping the gun) from an illegal purchase. Yes, it is a free $1500 gun for you but a life long lesson for him.

Just my two cents, good luck!

Side Note: I am a gun lover and have several. As well as shoot with my father on a regular basis.

tex
06-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Milk-As someone who worked 11 years in that arena...my advice would be call the cops. Handguns like that are bought and sold for 50 bucks all over the place. That gun could be linked to a ton of shootings. Would you want to have that gun?

06-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Milk-As someone who worked 11 years in that arena...my advice would be call the cops. Handguns like that are bought and sold for 50 bucks all over the place. That gun could be linked to a ton of shootings. Would you want to have that gun?
TRU DAT!

GRAB THE PHONE MILK!

You dont want to be "harboring" a possible illegal weapon. Call the police, tell them you found this gun and want to turn it in. If the gun is clean, maybe they will let you keep it. Who knows? but start by doing the right thing and call the police.

phecksel
06-04-2007, 11:03 AM
I have a completely different take on this. Nothing good can come from it. take the gun to the deepest part of the lake and sink it.

If it was stolen, first prime suspect is the son (maybe dad)
If it was used in a crime, first prime suspect is son (maybe dad)

Nobody buys a legitimate firearm for pennies.

I think sonny boy knows more then he's letting on.

bigmac
06-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Again, and I don't think I can stress this enough, DO NOT take it to the police yourself - work only through an attorney.

milkmania
06-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm going to be gone for a while....
didn't quite work out

and I will be back

06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
didn't quite work out

and I will be back
Whats that mean??:confused: :confused:

fintek9
06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Whats that mean??:confused: :confused:
That's just weird!!! don't joke like that Milk!!

Leroy
06-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Good luck Milk, certainly time for straight answers within the family and then decide what to do. As Bigmac says if it is something serious have a lawyer handle it.

That is what I tell my 18 and 16 year old, completely open and honest answers to every question I ask. Even thought sometimes you really don't want to know :o

Sodar
06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
didn't quite work out

and I will be back

Hope everything works out Milk!!

I have got to be honest, you are kind of scaring me here! Seems like as of late, you have been running in some issues with the wife, health, etc. I just hope everything works out for ya!!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Good luck Milk. I hope it all works out.

Chief
06-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Kids! Sheesh!

Why do people have 'em?

Have you threatened him with the belt?

I like your thinking.

6ballsisall
06-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Good luck Milk. Hope it all works out. We'll be thinking about you brutha.

M-Funf
06-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Dang, Milk...wish I had seen this thread earlier today. Bigmac is right, lawyer was the first stop. I went through this same thing about two years ago...but mine was a gun that was literally found on the street...

Hope things work out well...

Workin' 4 Toys
06-04-2007, 09:15 PM
didn't quite work out

and I will be back
Is it just me, is there just something very wrong about this post.....:confused:

(As he backs away slowly)

fintek9
06-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm with ya man, strange.. getting worried....

trickskier
06-04-2007, 09:23 PM
didn't quite work out

and I will be back

Is it just me, is there just something very wrong about this post.....:confused:

NO, I have to agree..................Somethings just not quite right...........Hope everything works out..............:confused:

bigmac
06-04-2007, 09:33 PM
As Bigmac says if it is something serious have a lawyer handle it.

Problem is, no way to know if it's serious without inquiring. If it turns out to be a shady gun, shady transaction, or shady people involved, YOU are going to be in cuffs in an "interview" room before you know it. That won't happen to your attorney, and he can't divulge your name. He CAN broker subsequent discussions with the police and make sure your rights are protected if that turns out to be necessary.

Chief
06-04-2007, 09:56 PM

Something very wrong! Milk give it up, what's going on!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-04-2007, 10:13 PM
What would happen if you found a piece.... And you thought you were doing the right thing by turning it in.
Something doesn't add up, The finder has to be the keeper or they have the issues.:confused: (I don't think this is Milk's situation, but...)

Hoosier Bob
06-04-2007, 10:24 PM
So close to fathers day I would have said, "Dad, you found your fathers day present!" Brian, my dad would not have bought that either. Get the story, 10 or 22 many have an interest in such things. Many mistakes in this transaction. The purchase, the storage and already a lack of respect for the weapon. 22 is not as old as you think. Nice pistol, bad choices. Get some answers and seek legal help.

HB

Slinkyredfoot
06-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Concerning the wild animal kingdom, have you ever heard the phrase..."this is why parents eat their young"? In my case this so aptly relates, I feel your anger and frustration Milk...

TMCNo1
06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Milk, we're here for you, just hollar if you need to talk!

06-04-2007, 11:12 PM
What would happen if you found a piece.... And you thought you were doing the right thing by turning it in.
Yea, I agree. what ever happend to good samaritans? I mean I was just raised that way, if you find something like that, you call the police and report it. Maybe it dont work that way in today's world anymore:confused: :( I have always thought if you were honest and did right, the police would respect and honor that. Maybe I am from da UP where handshakes and giving someone your word on something still has meaning. We dont communicate through lawyers. our police officers are people that we all know and live in the same town with. We respect them, and they respect us. I realize we are not like the rest of the world up here, but if I found a gun like that, and reported it, the police would certainly question me about it, but thank me for doing what was right by reporting it and not keeping it or hiding it.

I am not dissing Bigmac's advise at all. He is an intelligent person and has good reason to believe that otherwise he would not say it here. I realize that the world is a different place in da UP and you dont have to watch your back so much here.

I dont know. All I know is I am pretty concerned about Milk and hope all is well. I dont like the silence from him not posting here......:(

Workin' 4 Toys
06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
UMP, I think we all saw this getting ugly after the first post.....:noface:

bigmac
06-05-2007, 12:27 AM
never mind

fintek9
06-05-2007, 12:31 AM
You know, something like this is concerning, specially with no feedback.
let's just hope that doing the right thing did'nt backfire.(no pun)

fintek9
06-05-2007, 12:46 AM
but you know, UMP is right in were he's at. small UP or other little towns got different ways. he's about an hour from were I grew up,
this is no s##t, my uncle was town constable, fire chief, and mayor to boot back in the older days, handshake is a handshake, your word
meant as much or more then a piece of paper.. I teach my kids that same theory, you look someone in the eye, as your shaking there hand, and you tell the truth... If I was to go down for the truth, Im moving back home.....

dmayer84
06-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I got a message from Brian last night, he's doin ok, he said that he went away campin, should be back in a few days.

06-05-2007, 08:22 AM
I got a message from Brian last night, he's doin ok, he said that he went away campin, should be back in a few days.
Whew! at least he is OK! I was worried there. Hopefully all will work out. I am just glad something bad didnt happen. Thanks for posting that dmayer!!!:)

fintek9
06-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Aman to that!!

bigmac
06-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I realize that the world is a different place in da UP and you dont have to watch your back so much here.

but you know, UMP is right in were he's at. small UP or other little towns got different ways. he's about an hour from were I grew up,
this is no s##t, my uncle was town constable, fire chief, and mayor to boot back in the older days, handshake is a handshake, your word
mant as much or more then a piece of paper..

Please. UMP lives in an area big enough to have a car dealership. I live in a town of 500 that isn't even big enough for a grocery store. Our little police force is the chief and 2 part time guys. It doesn't get any more Mayberry than here. If I found a gun on the street, sure I'd take it to Harry (Chief), whom I've known well for 20 years. But we're not talking about finding a gun on the street. If I found a $2500 piece with an unknown history that my son had stashed, I might call the county Public Defender, a close friend, for advice but I can guarantee he'd tell me to call an attorney before turning the thing in.

This is all likely very innocent, with likely prompt and benign resolution no matter how it's dealt with, but I've seen situations more innocent than this go sideways because of the obligatory legal process. I'm sayin' that if I were in Milk's situation, my relationship with Harry, and the County Attorney, and the Sheriff (all close friends for years in my role as both Assistant Coroner and SWAT team operator) would get me some rhythm, but make no mistake - the constraints those guys are under means that even in our little UP-like utopia, it would be a cumbersome and difficult process, and vastly simplified by working through an attorney.

pq2
06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Im glad hes ok, lets just wait until he comes back. Im sure he will manage this situation the best for his kid. Good luck Milk!!!

milkmania
06-06-2007, 12:34 AM
guys,

this woman has gone completely insane!

the next day I tried to talk to her about the gun.... she freakin' took his side and said I was over reacting:mad:

also asked her if I was over reacting abut all the street & highway signs in my storage building

16 of them:rolleyes:

she said I was just trying to find stuff to pick fights about!

told her fine, I'm out!

passed the dishnetwork, windstream phone, & cinglar account numbers, usernames, and passwords to her, told her they were all paid up, and there they are,and if she wanted tokeep them going.... pay them, otherwise my name was off them....I'm hittin' the road:mad:

packed up the camper, grabbed my laundry and headed out.
haven't missed one of my children'sbaseball & softball games yet...
she asked me where I was staying, at the game tonight...... told her F off!

currently on the front porch of the RVcamp resort's porch using their DSL....
so I'll check in from time to time

thanks for asking and concern:)

friggin' soap opera, I tell ya

Farmer Ted
06-06-2007, 12:37 AM
guys,

the next day I tried to talk to her about the gun.... she freakin' took his side and said I was over reacting:mad:

also asked her if I was over reacting abut all the street & highway signs in my storage building

16 of them:rolleyes:

told her fine, I'm out!

passed the dishnetwork, windstream phone, & cinglar account numbers, usernames, and passwords to her, told her they were all paid up, and there they are,and if she wanted tokeep them going.... pay them, otherwise my name was off them....I'm hittin' the road:mad:

Might be a good idea to get a new lock at the storage building

be strong brudda!

milkmania
06-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Might be a good idea to get a new lock at the storage building

be strong brudda!

sad thing, it's my storage building on my property:(

my 9 and 11 year old CHILDREN go in there!

milkmania
06-06-2007, 12:56 AM
skeeters are eating me up.....

ttyl

TMCNo1
06-06-2007, 06:29 AM
skeeters are eating me up.....

ttyl

Brian, glad to see your back on and OK!

fintek9
06-06-2007, 08:03 AM
been in the "days of our live's" thing also Brian, stay strong bro, stay strong.....it sucks!.... just change the channel if you want to..

Workin' 4 Toys
06-06-2007, 08:52 AM
guys,

I think they drag them aside in school and give them lessons.....ALL of 'em....

I think you need to relax a bit, I prescribe a test drive....:D
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/c6/2006/images/z06.jpg

06-06-2007, 09:17 AM
I think they drag them aside in school and give them lessons.....ALL of 'em....

I think you need to relax a bit, I prescribe a test drive....:D

Dr. UMP seconds that motion. I also prescribe hookers, lots of them. they always help out in times of need. :cool: aint nuthin like a good hooker to cheer you up. They are even better than coffee!

I am glad your OK milk. You need to take care of yourself. Please stay in touch here when you can.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Dr. UMP seconds that motion.
Don't they have 0% interest for 60 months this time of year......;) That payments gotta be like $40.00 a month or something like..:rolleyes: .That would probably be easily made up in fuel savings over the course of the loan vs that truck he drives, don' 'cha think ump...

06-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Don't they have 0% interest for 60 months this time of year......That payments gotta be like $40.00 a month or something like..:rolleyes: .That would probably be easily made up in fuel savings over the course of the loan vs that truck he drives, don' 'cha think ump...
Oh I dont follow those sports cars incentives, I just pay attention to 3/4 ton diesel crew cabs, cause thats all that really matters anyway. ;) :D

Maristar210
06-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Oh I dont follow those sports cars incentives, I just pay attention to 3/4 ton diesel crew cabs, cause thats all that really matters anyway. ;) :D

Tru Dat

Where the hell is Storm8675309 at anyways?

06-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Tru Dat

Where the hell is Storm8675309 at anyways?
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme maybe he's at Jenny's house :uglyhamme

trickskier
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Glad to see you back Brian...............Hope everything works out for you........BE STRONG!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
A true salesman you will never be grasshopper......

River Rat
06-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Please. UMP lives in an area big enough to have a car dealership. I live in a town of 500 that isn't even big enough for a grocery store. Our little police force is the chief and 2 part time guys. It doesn't get any more Mayberry than here. If I found a gun on the street, sure I'd take it to Harry (Chief), whom I've known well for 20 years. But we're not talking about finding a gun on the street. If I found a $2500 piece with an unknown history that my son had stashed, I might call the county Public Defender, a close friend, for advice but I can guarantee he'd tell me to call an attorney before turning the thing in.

This is all likely very innocent, with likely prompt and benign resolution no matter how it's dealt with, but I've seen situations more innocent than this go sideways because of the obligatory legal process. I'm sayin' that if I were in Milk's situation, my relationship with Harry, and the County Attorney, and the Sheriff (all close friends for years in my role as both Assistant Coroner and SWAT team operator) would get me some rhythm, but make no mistake - the constraints those guys are under means that even in our little UP-like utopia, it would be a cumbersome and difficult process, and vastly simplified by working through an attorney.

You live in a town that doesn’t have a grocery store but it has a morgue AND swat team:confused: :uglyhamme

Sodar
06-06-2007, 02:40 PM
guys,

the next day I tried to talk to her about the gun.... she freakin' took his side and said I was over reacting

16 of them

told her fine, I'm out!

I don't know where to be happy for ya Milk, or feel bad for ya!! :D I genuinely wish you all the best!! :)

uawaterskier
06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
so....whats the story on the gun? Ill buy it for 50 bucks if its legit

Hoosier Bob
06-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Hey Brian! I know you like camping better anyway. I also know your kids are your life! The ***** just helped you with the transaction. Your son from what we have spoken in the past is your pride and joy. Camp with him and find out what is in his head. Remember what you have gone through over the last few years has been ten times harder on him. No excuses he just may miss his dad. Boys are different than girls. I know as I have both. I beat the boy and empathize with the girls. Not right just life. I want the boy to control and dominate! This will most likely lead me to a very similar circumstance. It is difficult Brian but knowing you I am confident you will handle it respectfully and legally. Get pissed and take time for reason. Then go get your son!!:o