PDA

View Full Version : Picture of our first boat.

ivectoryou
06-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Hi everyone.

We just picked up our first boat. We've had it out twice and are lovin' it!

2001 Matercraft Prostar 195. 120 hours.

Oh, when I back the trailer into the water, is it ok if the electrical connector to the truck remains attached and therefore submerged?

Will the trailer back up if it's not connected. I had a friend who's trailer wouldn't back up if the electrical connection wasn't hooked up properly. Does this have to do with the surge brakes?

I will post the picture later because the file was slightly too large for what is allowed here.

Dan

Chief
06-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Hi everyone.

Oh, when I back the trailer into the water, is it ok if the electrical connector to the truck remains attached and therefore submerged?

Will the trailer back up if it's not connected. I had a friend who's trailer wouldn't back up if the electrical connection wasn't hooked up properly. Does this have to do with the surge brakes?

I will post the picture later because the file was slightly too large for what is allowed here.

Dan

You should not have to back the trailer that far in the launch the boat unless you have a very level ramp.

Also if you submerge the trailers master cylinder you could be getting water into the brake fluid reservoir since that cap is not a screw on (on most) it's just a plug. The connector should be fine but may start to corrode so I would take some WD40 and spray the connector on the vehicle and boat to prevent water from standing and corrosion starting.

airdrew99
06-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone.

Dan
I leave my lights plugged in on our salt water ramp and it doesn't bother them at all. I have to back in far enough to get the electrical connector wet and the master cylinder also. Definitely spray it down with WD40.

dougl
06-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Also if you submerge the trailers master cylinder you could be getting water into the brake fluid reservoir since that cap is not a screw on (on most) it's just a plug. The connector should be fine but may start to corrode ...

Good point, as I just had my master cylinder replaced and was surprised when the mechanic popped open the cap with his fingernail.

Good luck with your new boat, we love ours. Be careful going through waves at slow speeds, the kids don't like being swamped in the bow when it's only 70 degrees out.. :rolleyes:

ivectoryou
06-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Dan

ivectoryou
06-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Good point, as I just had my master cylinder replaced and was surprised when the mechanic popped open the cap with his fingernail.

Good luck with your new boat, we love ours. Be careful going through waves at slow speeds, the kids don't like being swamped in the bow when it's only 70 degrees out.. :rolleyes:

I went slow yesterday due to some very rough water and we got a ton of splashing over the bow. Going faster seemed to beat the hell out of the boat, so I'm not sure how you avoid the spashing on your kids. Advice?

Thanks,
Dan

JohnE
06-04-2007, 09:59 PM
I went slow yesterday due to some very rough water and we got a ton of splashing over the bow. Going faster seemed to beat the hell out of the boat, so I'm not sure how you avoid the spashing on your kids. Advice?

Thanks,
Dan

Not a lot of choices. Let the kids get wet. Let the kids get bounced. Let the kids stay home. :D I'd go with the first or second option.

Congrats on the new boat, and welcome to the forum.

brianaw26
06-04-2007, 11:20 PM

Thanks,
Dan

Honestly its a ski boat.. not really made to handle really choppy water with any sort of grace. go fast enough to get the bow out of the water but not fast enough to plane out. That is the best you can do... imho

mayo93prostar
06-04-2007, 11:40 PM
it is best to unplug your lights in case your wires or lights are not sealed. the water will short the circuit and blow a fuse in your tow vehicle. but it depends on how old your trailer is to how sealed it is. you should be able to back up to the ramp with the boat slightly down the ramp and then disconnect the wire and the brakes will not engage because the boat is pulling away from the vehicle by gravity down the ramp. hope this helps. good luck with boat.

phecksel
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Lights are more likely to burn out if you don't disconnect the trailer lights. I used to lose at least one per season, until someone recommended disconnecting the connector, but that was before they added backup light override to the brakes.

wrt to water over the bow, be careful, because that water could send a kid over board, and literally under the boat. So unless you want the kid chopped up, I wouldn't recommend it. There will be a speed that is a compromise between beating the heck out of the boat, and swamping the bow. Somewhere in the 18mph range. Throws off huge rollers, so only do it when the water is already a wave mess.

Enjoy the great boat!

dougl
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
The lakes around here usually aren't too bad with huge waves (except Lake Oroville which was more like SF Bay a couple weeks ago) so the only time I've taken more then a little water over the bow is swinging around to pick up a skier/wakeboarder and catching my own wake at slow speed. Just give it a little gas to bring the bow up (and give your passengers a heads up) when approaching the wake. Of course it goes without saying to be aware of the person in the water..

ivectoryou
06-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Lights are more likely to burn out if you don't disconnect the trailer lights. I used to lose at least one per season, until someone recommended disconnecting the connector, but that was before they added backup light override to the brakes.

wrt to water over the bow, be careful, because that water could send a kid over board, and literally under the boat. So unless you want the kid chopped up, I wouldn't recommend it. There will be a speed that is a compromise between beating the heck out of the boat, and swamping the bow. Somewhere in the 18mph range. Throws off huge rollers, so only do it when the water is already a wave mess.

Enjoy the great boat!

Thanks. Just for the record, I wasn't doing anything that was causing a bunch of water to come over the bow. Just splashing. I certainly appreciate the warning about throwing a kid out. I plan on keeping my great little girl safe. I told my girlfriend that my #1 priority while out on this machine is safety. I could see how something bad could happen real quick if the driver wasn't paying attention/being super safe.

Dan

ivectoryou
06-06-2007, 03:54 AM
it is best to unplug your lights in case your wires or lights are not sealed. the water will short the circuit and blow a fuse in your tow vehicle. but it depends on how old your trailer is to how sealed it is. you should be able to back up to the ramp with the boat slightly down the ramp and then disconnect the wire and the brakes will not engage because the boat is pulling away from the vehicle by gravity down the ramp. hope this helps. good luck with boat.

That makes a ton of sense. I was wondering how I could back down the ramp with the wires disconnected because I thought the surge brakes would lock up, but with the angle of the ramp, the boat trailer would actually being pulling away from the trailer ball vs. being pushed by it. I'll give it a try.

Dan

88 PS190
06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I've pushed our 190 through 3+ foot swells

As mentioned get the bow up, and stay off plane.

Its slow as heck, and water sprays over the side.

You have to retighten mounting hardware, but you will make it.