PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Button draining battery

GarethC
06-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi there, just had my first weekend in my new purchase, a 1989 mastercraft and realised I have just left it up at the loch with the ignition battery pressed in. Does anyone know if this will drain the battery, and how long it would take to drain it, because I could always hike back up there and switch the button off ?

Thanks for any advice !

JohnnyB
06-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm not sure I understand....are you saying you left the key-switch in the accessory position? I'm not sure what is meant by "ignition battery pressed in"....please clarify.

Remember that the stuffing box does leak gradually while the boat is sitting in the water and the bilge pump should be left in auto. Also, if the battery drains down, the bilge pump won't work....depending on the rate of drip from the stuff-box, you could have lots of water in the bilge in a week.

GarethC
06-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi, don't think i explained very well...

In order to start the boat you have the key in the ignition and also an ignition button on the dashboard. It's just this ignition button on the dashboard we have left on (we have taken the key out), so am unsure how quickly if at all this being left on will drain the battery. As I wouldn't like to go up next time and the battery be dead.

Cheers Gareth

TMCNo1
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi, don't think i explained very well...

In order to start the boat you have the key in the ignition and also an ignition button on the dashboard. It's just this ignition button on the dashboard we have left on (we have taken the key out), so am unsure how quickly if at all this being left on will drain the battery. As I wouldn't like to go up next time and the battery be dead.

Cheers Gareth

You will have to post a picture or something to show us what "ignition button" you are refering to. Here in the US you insert the key into the ignition switch, turn it right to crank/run or left for switched accessory mode, there are no other ignition buttons to push on the dash, unless you are refering the the neutral button on the throttle control on your right that eliminates the throttle from engaging the cables into gear till you push it in.

Hunterb
06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Are you referring to the 'kill switch'? it is a button kind of thing that needs to be 'in' for the starter to work. If you are then you are fine as it will not drain the battery. If there is some other ignition button on your boat then I'm afraid I don't know what it is and, as posted above, a picture would help a lot.

There may be a language problem here as well. The vast majority of posters on this site are American and while, for those of us in the colonies, communication works well most of the time, they tend to use far to few 'U's and rarely refer to the monarchy :)

Just kidding. Do us a favour and clearly indicate what button you're talking about, include the colour etc. and someone in the neighbourhood will have a sensible answer.

Bruce

Kerry Sloaner
06-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I hate to say it but that is not a MasterCraft, that is a Correct Craft and leaving the ignition breaker on will kill your battery over the week.

TMCNo1
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Looks like we been SKUNKED! Profile and picture sure splains everything I need to know, Nevermind!

beatle78
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
hahaha, that's funny.... sorry to make fun of you GarethC.

I would holf on to that MC Pro Ait Nautique. I bet it's 1 of a kind hahahahaha