PDA

View Full Version : Parts for rebuild of 87 Prostar

87MCProstar
06-03-2007, 06:17 PM
hey any of you have any advise of parts that should be used to rebuild the 351 to better than stock. Like upgraded cam numbers, rockers, valves etc. Starting to do research because thinking about this in the off season. thanks
tim

WilliM1940
06-03-2007, 11:30 PM
True 351 gearhead link:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5789&KW=engine+building

Will start you off and leave you with alot of questions.

Ryan
06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Electronic ignition, and GT40p heads - are the best and cheapest two IMO. There's a ton of fun things you can do though, Cams, supercharger...the list goes on.

east tx skier
06-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Electronic ignition, and GT40p heads - are the best and cheapest two IMO. There's a ton of fun things you can do though, Cams, supercharger...the list goes on.

Add performer intake to that. Loads of torque.

TRBenj
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Are you talking a full rebuild? If so, Alan's thread linked above is very good. If youre looking for info on upgrades (ignition, heads, rockers, cams, intakes, etc) theres several good threads on Ford stuff over on CCFan as well.

If youre not experiencing any problems, I wouldnt assume you are due for a rebuild even if you have high hours. When I tore my motor down last spring, everything looked great. My motor was well maintained by the previous owners, but is closing in on 1200 hours.

If its mainly the performance youre after, the options are endless. By the time Im done dialing in my upgrades in a few weeks, I expect to have added over 100 hp and about 10 MPH to my top end. If you want to see what Ive done in person, swing by next time youre at Tyler. I have the red/black SN (the really loud one).

87MCProstar
06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Benj,
That sounds perfect. not really experience any issues but some very random vibration intermittenly, strange.

454Prostar190
06-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Gee, I wish that I could help you out but, my 82 Stars and Stripes came from the factory with a 454 Big Block Chevy. Sorry!

TRBenj
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Benj,
That sounds perfect. not really experience any issues but some very random vibration intermittenly, strange.

An inconsistent vibration is strange. Id check the prop first. You may also want to check your alignment, as well as replace your strut bushing.