PDA

View Full Version : Replacing New Model Fuel Filters

kyfooter
06-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Any proven tips to changing fuel filters that attach to the bottom of the fuel pumps in the gas tank on new model boats? I changed mine last year and had no trouble changing the filter itself. However, when reassembling the in-tank fuel pump, I could not in any way reallign all the screws that hold the fuel pump to the tank. There are 12 screws or so, and I always managed to get 8-9, but the last three would not line up.

After calling a trusted MC dealer, I was told that the tanks have a tendency to change shape once the pump is removed! No, my tank was not full when I did this, but sure enough, it had to have expanded just slightly. All screws went back in their original positions, but there was no way all 12 were going in smoothly.

That being said...has anyone found a technique that works? I don't need a new filter yet, but wouldn't mind getting a few ideas for the next time.

Thanks.

JohnnyB
06-03-2007, 07:06 PM
When I did mine, the fit was not fantastic either. IIRC, I started all twelve about 1/4 way in and then went in a rotation with tightening all of them, giving preference to the ill fitting ones (get the ill fitting ones tight first). I would agree there is a bit of jackin' around required. Still was a pretty easy job.

vogelm1
06-03-2007, 08:58 PM
When I did mine, the fit was not fantastic either. IIRC, I started all twelve about 1/4 way in and then went in a rotation with tightening all of them, giving preference to the ill fitting ones (get the ill fitting ones tight first). I would agree there is a bit of jackin' around required. Still was a pretty easy job.

This is what I did as well...worked, but I felt enough resistance that after doing this a few times, I'll probably be replacing the bolts because of galled threads.

JohnnyB
06-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I re-used the same neoprene washers that were already on it. Did anybody find a good place to get new ones?

the legend
06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
First thing, you must replace the gasket and washers any time you remove the fuel pump. After you have the new filter on the pump, put all the new washers on the screws and insert them into the pump. Then slide the gasket onto the pump aligning all the holes and pushing the screws thru the gasket. Set the pump into the tank and by hand, thread all the screws into the tank. Now that all screws and started use a rachet and sink the screws, snug not tight. Using a torgue wrench, tighten all screws (in a star pattern) to 45 in lbs. reconnect all your fittings and harnesses. key up several times to prime the fuel system. run and verify no leaks. Any proven tips to changing fuel filters that attach to the bottom of the fuel pumps in the gas tank on new model boats? I changed mine last year and had no trouble changing the filter itself. However, when reassembling the in-tank fuel pump, I could not in any way reallign all the screws that hold the fuel pump to the tank. There are 12 screws or so, and I always managed to get 8-9, but the last three would not line up.

After calling a trusted MC dealer, I was told that the tanks have a tendency to change shape once the pump is removed! No, my tank was not full when I did this, but sure enough, it had to have expanded just slightly. All screws went back in their original positions, but there was no way all 12 were going in smoothly.

That being said...has anyone found a technique that works? I don't need a new filter yet, but wouldn't mind getting a few ideas for the next time.

Thanks.

vogelm1
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I re-used the same neoprene washers that were already on it. Did anybody find a good place to get new ones?

I re-used mine as well...looked like they were in fine shape and not deformed at all. Perfect world I would have replaced them, but couldn't locate any. My MC dealer couldn't even get them. They were going to try calling Fel-Pro or whomever manufactured the gaskets for the pumps, but nobody ever got back to me. I also tried the MC dealer in Madison, WI and they couldn't get them to me either. I have to run out to the dealer for some hub seals today and will ask about this again - will post something if I find out.

kyfooter
06-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I should have been more clear...I did eventually get all the screws back into their slots, but it was not as "smooth" as it should have been.

I'm not concerned about it now, but as it get changed more and more, I can see those "ill-fitting" screws becoming a problem. In my case, if the screws at 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock were stubborn, I could restart with those which might make 7 and 8 o'clock stubborn. Even starting them all 1/4 or so would still leave me with 2-3 that would not line up (at least not like they should, in my opinion).

jkski
06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Just did mine about 1 week ago and the trick I found was to use a new gasket. At first I tried to re-use the old gasket, but found the problem you are describing, so we switched to a new one, and all of the screws started with no problem.
Also, make sure that before you actually remove the pump, you mark the position it was in so that you get it back to the right spot.