PDA

View Full Version : Baffled.....Please help!!

heychance95
06-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Hello fellow Team Talkers!! I am hoping that someone here has encountered the same problem I am having and can offer some insight. Here is the dilema. Over the winter I purchased a new raw water pump and impeller for my 85 mastercraft. I put the boat in the water last weekend and headed down the lake and it soon ran hot. I eventually made it back to the trailer and pulled the boat out and went to my mechanics house. We started trouble shooting. The conclusion was the raw water pump wasn't pumping. We tried every possible way to get this pump to work.....no dice. I took the pump back to the pcm dealer I purchased it from. They said the pump couldn't not work and handed me another new impeller and sent me on my way. I installed to new impeller yesterday and still no luck. So to make a long story boring I was wondering if anyone here had encountered the same problem and what the solution was. The water pump on the front of the engine works great. The hose running from the raw water pump to the pick up at the rear of the boat is clear and does not collaspe when the pump is turning. Thermostat is new and works great. Thank you in advance for taking your time to read this and offering any advice!

Scott

erkoehler
06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Is your trans cooler clear of all debris?

Jim@BAWS
06-03-2007, 12:53 PM
You have installed the pump 180 DEG OUT. Flip the pump
180 DEG. It is VERY VERY Easy to install a PCM pump backwards/wrong

Call me with questions

Jim@BAWS (813) 996 2297

tph
06-03-2007, 12:54 PM
It's very easy to unintentionally install those pumps upside down.

ski_king
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
You have installed the pump 180 DEG OUT. Flip the pump
180 DEG. It is VERY VERY Easy to install a PCM pump backwards/wrong

Call me with questions

Jim@BAWS (813) 996 2297
Been there, done that once long ago.

The PCM dealer you mentioned probobly services more reverse running engines where the pump is put together 180 deg.

ski_king
06-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Check out this link: http://aquaskier.com/articles/impeller_replacement.htm
PCM Pump is on the bottonm of the page.
Read the note after Step 2

I am not sure if photos show the correct mounting for pumps on a RH engine of LH.

mitch
06-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Is your trans cooler clear of all debris?

That's what I'm thinking........

airdrew99
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
You might try to pull both hoses off the raw water pump and crank the engine over to see if the pump is providing any suction. It should be real obvious to which is the inlet and outlet (suction and pressure). I usually try to lubricate the impeller with a little dishwashing soap when I turn the engine over with no water going through it. Also if you have messed with the thermostat, there is a possibility that it was installed upside down. Good luck.

heychance95
06-25-2007, 08:27 AM
hey folks, thought i would send out a quick update! the pump problem is solved. when i purchased a new pump i was given a "major repair kit". this is only the front part of the pump. i exchanged that for the "pump assembly" which did the trick. i must say, i am really excited that the problem is solved. i hopped on the lake yesterday for the first time this season and the boat stalled out. it was spitting and sputtering like it had a hard time getting gas, so the outing was very short lived. i am about to drop the boat off to have that problem solved. hopefully next weekend will be better. big thanks to Jim@BAWS for all of the help with the pump situation.