PDA

View Full Version : Bantam Lake and the Bantam lake Ski club

prostarrocks190
06-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Growing up on Bantam Lake i was a neighbor of Al Tyll, and watched him and his family ski for years behind the Hydrodyne's.Does anyone know what happened to them? Is his daughter skiing professionally or did she ever? One summer (79-80?)we opened up the cottage and al had sold his house and we never keep in touch. I heard they moved to florida and now that i live in the greater tampa area i was curious about them!
He and his family were just very nice people and after i moved to Miami 15 years ago,(no lakes to ski really) and moving here(one month ago) to greater Tampa area and going out on all the fresh water lakes it brought back alot of memories! PS. Just bought my first Mastercraft (used) from Jim at BAWS and so looking forward to driving it,skiing behind..etc..
Ps..BTW..JIm at BAWS is one of the most honest,trustworthy,nicest guys in the boating business i had the fortunate pleasure of meeting!

milkmania
06-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Growing up on Bantam Lake i was a neighbor of Al Tyll, and watched him and his family ski for years behind the Hydrodyne's.Does anyone know what happened to them? Is his daughter skiing professionally or did she ever? One summer (79-80?)we opened up the cottage and al had sold his house and we never keep in touch. I heard they moved to florida and now that i live in the greater tampa area i was curious about them!
He and his family were just very nice people and after i moved to Miami 15 years ago,(no lakes to ski really) and moving here(one month ago) to greater Tampa area and going out on all the fresh water lakes it brought back alot of memories! PS. Just bought my first Mastercraft (used) from Jim at BAWS and so looking forward to driving it,skiing behind..etc..
Ps..BTW..JIm at BAWS is one of the most honest,trustworthy,nicest guys in the boating business i had the fortunate pleasure of meeting!
try switchboard.com

I tried "tyll" & "Florida" in the person search fields.... came up with 10 names

here: http://www.switchboard.com/swbd.main/dir/6_0/wpresults.htm?%20sr=&mem=1&vl=&qv=&ypcobrand=1&inputwhat_dirty=1&nm=tyll&inputwhere_dirty=1&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=Search&LO=state+of+florida

also found a biography

Al and his wife, the former Christine Baltzer, lived with their daughter, Tracey, on Bantam Lake in Connecticut. Their home became the focal point for the Bantam Lake Water Ski Club, and many of the Eastern Region tournament skiers trained on their ski course. Al, meanwhile, served as president of the Connecticut Water Ski Association, as a member of the Eastern Region Council and as a member of the AWSA Rules Committee.
The Tyll's were divorced in 1983 and Al later moved to Boynton Beach, Florida, where he remained active in investment management. He was one of the first to receive the American Water Ski Educational Foundation's Award of Distinction in 1991.
http://www.waterskihalloffame.com/pages/Bios/Al%20Tyll.htm

sounds like the guy

pflcjl
06-04-2007, 07:57 AM
I live on Bantam Lake and have been a member of the Bantam Lake Ski Club for 25 years. Al Tyll had left the lake before then. His legend still lives on at the lake. He was recently inducted into the Litchfield, CT sports hall of fame. For a while, Correct Craft offered a signature boat called the "Al Tyll Skier".

The Bantam Lake Ski Club is the oldest and longest continuously running ski club in CT. It is still very active with over 50 family memberships, a large clubhouse, waterfront and dock area, slalom course and a new Beeman's jump that was acquired completely by donations from the lake community ($26K!). Lot's of old timers with lots of fond memories were more than willing to donate.

The Ski Club will be celebrating its 50th anniversary next year and we are trying to see if Al Tyll will return for the festivites. We are trying to raise money for a fireworks display on the lake and other events! We also put on a 2 day ski show each year.

prostarrocks190
06-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Al lived on Deer island the first house on the left as you come in,he built it,then he left and came back,he lived right next door to us on deer island,he moved like 7-8 houses down. Yes i remember the "the show" ever summer in August.My grandparents bought our cottage in the '50's and we enjoyd until 1989! Ps. is the lake still full of weeds in the south bay? I remember the first dredging project! Didn't Al aways drive a stern powered hydrodyne and ever year he had a new one,now this is in the 70's i'm talking about,some of his 'dyne's were still around there as of a few years ago!Do you know if his daughter ever went into pro skiing?

pflcjl
06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Lake quality has improved dramatically. They have been controlling invasive weeds by treatment each year. Sewers on the west shore and deer island have also helped out alot. South bay is still shallow even after the dredging project. Real estate prices are out of sight. Don't know about his daughter..sorry

mpm32
06-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Does anyone at the ski club or does the ski club offer lessons in the course? I freeski on Zoar and would like to try skiing the course.

TRBenj
06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Does anyone at the ski club or does the ski club offer lessons in the course? I freeski on Zoar and would like to try skiing the course.

Does Zoar have a course? I havent been there in almost 15 years, but I know it used to.

mpm32
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
It does but it's privately owned. And he pulls the 2, 4, and 6 buoys when he's not using the course. And he's never out when we're on the lake to talk to him.

There's a jump too further up towards the Lillinonah end.