PDA

View Full Version : 89 Tristar tranny fluid question

CHAR250R
06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Completely drained it and refilled it withe the 2 quarts the manual says my model takes. I put the boat in gear and it squealed a little, so I put it back in neutral. How much fluid does the tranny cooler take? I don't want to over fill it. Removing extra fluid is not an easy task. Thanks.:D

etduc
06-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Completely drained it and refilled it withe the 2 quarts the manual says my model takes. I put the boat in gear and it squealed a little, so I put it back in neutral. How much fluid does the tranny cooler take? I don't want to over fill it. Removing extra fluid is not an easy task. Thanks.:D

Could the squeal you hear, be your drive shaft turning in a dry support strut? (Spray some Pam cooking spray or WD-40 on the shaft, above the
strut.) Also, dry shaft packing string, will squeal alittle, till it get properly
soak. If you tranny dip stick shows correct level, you're probably ok.

88 PS190
06-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Could the squeal you hear, be your drive shaft turning in a dry support strut?

Many use this as a prank on new boat owners, they slip into gear and squeels like anything.

If you do the pam/spray them with water and try it there would be no squeal.

FYI

level is to be checked hot just after turning it off, so bring the boat up to normal operating temp. (pull a skier) then pop the hatch and check the level.

Once you have it on the line in that condition let it cool, pull the stick, and scratch it with an awl or something sharp so you have a mark, this is the cold level mark, I do not know why the factory never implemented one.

CHAR250R
06-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Dry shaft support and or packing sounds logical. I'll have to get it wet. The boat is still on the trailer, so it won't be pulling anyone today. It was running on the garden hose. I still want to know how much fluid the cooler and it's hoses need.

Jesus_Freak
06-03-2007, 04:12 AM
....Once you have it on the line in that condition let it cool, pull the stick, and scratch it with an awl or something sharp so you have a mark, this is the cold level mark...

Excellent idea. Possibly it has been posted before, but havent seen it. Will do.

88 PS190
06-03-2007, 04:25 AM
props go to the 1988 mastercraft prostar operating manual where it mentions that.

Its just something they said to do but didn't pay someone to implement.

CHAR250R
06-03-2007, 07:25 PM
That info is in my manual, also. I want to know the exact capacity from a dry to a full. The squeak was the dry support strut. I gave it a shot of tephlon. It's in the water now, and no sqeaks.