PDA

View Full Version : Audio System Install Tips

uncleboo
06-02-2007, 02:51 AM
I just purchased a new audio system for my PS190 and was wondering if anyone had tips or advice on the install. I got a new Sony head unit with the plug in for the ipod, Polk 6x9's and amp, Polk 12 in a sealed box and amp.

87MC owner
06-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I also just bought a new Sony CDX-HS70MW but the face is too large to mount where the old radio was on the dash. I am thinking about mounting it under the observers' seat and placing a blank plate over the old hole. Did you get a good deal on the Polks?

djpruitt
06-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I am about to purchase a new radio and want to install it either below the mirror or in the kick panel under the passenger seat. Did you have many problems with your install under the radio from water damage from those occasional times the bow dips and water comes over the windshield? I measured today and there is enough room under the mirror for the unit but not enough room for the marine casing/cover.

trunderw
06-22-2007, 11:01 PM
lol, I just bought that too for my 87 prostar. I don't think the cover will fit under the mirror either. I'd like to see where you guys end up putting it...

93 Prostar 205
06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Apparently 36 mph was too fast for the Kenwood in my 93 prostar 205. I had a KRC-340 which is a removeable unit and the plastic housing just shattered and it is basically junk. The sterio is fine but the housing is junk.

Did anyone purchase a marine system and where did you purchase it? I will probably purchase a new system, but want it to fit into my console but also want superior quality.

Can anyone give me some direction where to look?

Thanks.

JBaker
06-27-2007, 01:04 PM
West Marine has the new Clarion CMD5. I am a huge fan of Clarion electronics-they are the highest quality IMHO. I prefer to buy my stuff from an authorized dealer so I have a warranty, but if that is not important, there is always eBay!

I saw that new sony marine unit not too long ago. That must be the thickest face I have ever seen on a radio, it has to stick out over an inch. It is just enormous! I can't imagine many factory locations which that unit would fit in. My buddy mounted his on the side of his dash/locker and now aside from people banging there knees on it, swimsuits and everything else get caught on it.