PDA

View Full Version : Oil Hub plastic cover craked all around.... AGAIN!!!

MCX2RYD
06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Hey gents,

Well I have an 06 X2. Last year I had about 2000 Miles on the trailer and 3 of my hub covers cracked and leaked oil... funny enough on the trip to the dealer. They replaced them no problem.

Yesterday washing the boat seen milky residue one of the hubs again. Right side rear. Pulled the wheel off and found that the plastic hub was craked all around and oil pretty much empty.

Is there anything I can do to get me to the lake? Approx 20 miles away. The plastic hub is completely off and bearings etc exposed. Dealer is closed now and will need a new part... Its the nicest weekend of the year so far and supposed to be in the high 90's up here in Canada. Fort McMurray AB!

One sad MC owner.......

trickskier
06-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey gents,

Well I have an 06 X2. Last year I had about 2000 Miles on the trailer and 3 of my hub covers cracked and leaked oil... funny enough on the trip to the dealer. They replaced them no problem.

Yesterday washing the boat seen milky residue one of the hubs again. Right side rear. Pulled the wheel off and found that the plastic hub was craked all around and oil pretty much empty.

Is there anything I can do to get me to the lake? Approx 20 miles away. The plastic hub is completely off and bearings etc exposed. Dealer is closed now and will need a new part... Its the nicest weekend of the year so far and supposed to be in the high 90's up here in Canada. Fort McMurray AB!

One sad MC owner.......

I have one in my tool box...............Unfortunately, I would not be able to get it to you in time...........Best of luck on a PATCH!!!

MCX2RYD
06-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Well I patched her up and made it to the lake. It was to nice out to not be able to get out there. Packed some grease into the bearing taped her up with some plumbers tape and duck tape throught the cap over it and taped that on. It looks wonderful..... well maybe it doesnt but it got me to the lake and the bearing wasnt even hot!!!!!

Now I just have to wait for the parts to replace everything..

mpm32
06-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I just ran across this post on another board. Might be of some interest to those concerned about water intrusion;

I had the same issue with my new Ram Lin Trailer. I had the boat in the water 3 times and the oil hub was whitish (water in the hub). Ram Lin stated that this is normal and that they contacted Ranger boats who also use the same system. They indicated that Ranger did a 50k test with 50/50 oil water mix and the system showed now wear. After that they did a 100% water test. I figure I will just change out the 90wt oil every year when I winterize. Boatmate trailers use a similar oil bath system, but the difference is that theirs uses a positive pressure system. The pressure occurs when the trailer hub spins with about 3-5psi. My friends boatmate trailer has had NO water in the hubs at all.

bwhittredge
06-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a 2006 X-2 and I had it in the driveway ready to go for tomorrow morning. Noticed oil leaking out of the hub when I was mowing the lawn tonight. I pulled the wheel and the clear hub was cracked all the way around. The threaded end of the clear plastic hub is still in the axle. How did you get the threaded end piece out? There is nothing left for me to get ahold of so I can screw it out.

Just curious... how long did it take you to get parts? I'm still covered under warranty but my dealer is 3 hours away. I am hoping they have parts in stock. Considering it is Saturday night, it will be Monday until I can even order the parts. Then I have to figure out how to get the threaded end out before the new cap goes on.

Thanks!

MCX2RYD
06-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Well its been about 2 weeks and they just got them in. Ordered 3 new plastic covers and a set of bearing for the one that I greased up to get me to and from the lake approx 30mins away.

What I did to get the threaded plastic piece out was jam a screwdriver in there and PRY it until it broke out. It is a soft plastic and didnt crack to easily. Didnt damage nothing doin it and was fairly simple. Going to put the new parts in this week as I am leaving for a 2 week trip this weekend travelling approx. 2000+ miles.

Hope this helps

wtrjock
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
I had this happen on my 2005 X10 on both passenger side hubs. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the broken plastic covers with aluminum ones. He also gave me 2 aluminum covers for the other side. I looked at all the 2007 boats in the showroom and they all had aluminum covers on the hubs. Seems like this is a problem that Mastercraft Corp solved with the aluminum vs. plastic hub covers.

Is your dealer installing plastic covers? I can take a picture of the aluminum ones tonight if you would like.

My passenger hubs still look a little milky, so I think the seals are blown. I am still under extended warranty, so I am going to take the boat in again and have them replace the seals.

bkblaida
07-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I recently converted our 97 prostar 205 to an oil bath system. The after market kit uses stainless steel hubs with a lexan lense and a pressure equalizer so you cannot suck water into the hub unless you blow a seal. So far, 1,500 miles and several launchings and the oil is water free. From what I am reading, the aluminum or the stainless hub is the key.