PDA

View Full Version : 02 Xstar Power drops, key in ACC position

nmcjr
06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi All,

I just bought the boat used and it has a strange problem, when listening to the radio with the key in the ACC position, the power to the whole boat shuts off at random times (at least anything that requires the ACC position, blower still works for example). If I switch to the ON position it is fine and never happens.

Upon further testing, the power doesn't totally shut off, but drops to around 7V--not at the battery, but at the ignition. And the really strange part is that the input lead and the output lead both drop, meanwhile the main power feed under the dash is still 12+ V. Is there some sort of protection circuit built in to prevent draining the battery in the ACC position? Sometimes I also get the warning BEEP from under the dash as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

beatle78
06-02-2007, 09:36 AM
I am experiencing some similar symptoms, my radio turns on in the acc position (sometimes), but nothing is coming out of the speakers, then sometimes when I turn the key on, it works fine....

I know for a fact I have a bad ignition switch (it stuck in the start position so the engine was running with the starter engaged).

I ordered a new ignition yesterday and when I swap it out I'll let you know what I find.

I kinda makes sense if there is a problem with the ignition switch there could very well be a voltage drop across the igntion. 12V in - voltage drop in the ignition = low voltage

JimN
06-02-2007, 09:44 AM
If the battery lead to the switch drops, it's not the switch. How many wires do you have connected at the battery positive post? If there's a single orange wire, tug on it and make sure the terminal isn't coming off. If it has a small, black plastic or rubber piece about 2' from the terminal, you may have a fusible link and that may be gone, but still close enough to make occasional contact.

Also, go to the coupler for the boat harness at the rear of the motor and make sure it's tight and the pins are aligned.

beatle78
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
sorry nmcjr. My problem was the the ignition switch rotated 180 degrees and the accesorries were not getting power/ We rotated the ignition 180 degrees back and my problems were solved......

nmcjr
06-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I simply took apart all the connectors at the battery, cleaned and reassembled carefully and no problems at all today. Guess I shouldn't have put so much thought into it and just done the basics. Thanks again!!

beatle78
06-04-2007, 09:04 AM
nice, congrats!!! and welcome to the board!!!!