PDA

View Full Version : S&S trailer- Dumb question of the day

74stars
06-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Hey all, Dumb question- where was the VIN plate for the old school (pre-83/84-ish) trailers located? Please tell me it was not pop riveted on one of the fenders as I suspect.... Mine is back from the sandblaster and is about ready for paint- However I have not been able to find the VIN (fenders diappeared 25+ years ago) Now in Kansas you only have to register the trailer if it's total gvw exceeds 2000lbs- mine has never been titled or registered but, knowing my luck, it's darn close if not over 2000lbs- and as soon as the boat and trailer are done I would most likley get popped. I was told by the highway patrol (well, first off "that guy should have never sold you the trailer with out the VIN....right) that the only way to get a new VIN # assigned is to get an attorney and file for a new one in court after listing the trailer in the paper for two weeks to prove no one else claims ownership, blah- blah- blah. expect to spend more than $500.00 all-told. This is all in an attempt to become legal. Anyone have an old vin plate they dont need....just kidding?!. PS I have a newfound hatred for fiberglass dust. Going on three weeks of sinus infection- cant' imagine why.... I need to post some more pics- I just put the last skim coat on the bottom and it should **finally**be ready to shoot the new gel soon. I can't wait to get it back on the water. Thanks for any info you may have on this!!

Monte
06-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey all, Dumb question- where was the VIN plate for the old school (pre-83/84-ish) trailers located? Please tell me it was not pop riveted on one of the fenders as I suspect.... Mine is back from the sandblaster and is about ready for paint- However I have not been able to find the VIN (fenders diappeared 25+ years ago) Now in Kansas you only have to register the trailer if it's total gvw exceeds 2000lbs- mine has never been titled or registered but, knowing my luck, it's darn close if not over 2000lbs- and as soon as the boat and trailer are done I would most likley get popped. I was told by the highway patrol (well, first off "that guy should have never sold you the trailer with out the VIN....right) that the only way to get a new VIN # assigned is to get an attorney and file for a new one in court after listing the trailer in the paper for two weeks to prove no one else claims ownership, blah- blah- blah. expect to spend more than $500.00 all-told. This is all in an attempt to become legal. Anyone have an old vin plate they dont need....just kidding?!. PS I have a newfound hatred for fiberglass dust. Going on three weeks of sinus infection- cant' imagine why.... I need to post some more pics- I just put the last skim coat on the bottom and it should **finally**be ready to shoot the new gel soon. I can't wait to get it back on the water. Thanks for any info you may have on this!!

No idea where it is/was. Could you call it a "custom" homemade trailer? (surely DMV won't second guess you) and make up your own serial#??..

jraben8
06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
My best guess is right around the trailer jack.

cbryan70
06-01-2007, 01:23 PM
I have a 78 and i beleive it is on the left fender.....

cbryan70
Junk yard....trailer.....new vin number..... problem solved

pram
Here in BC we have what is called a U-Built Trailer. All that they care about is that the taxes were paid on all the raw materials used and that it has lights. Give that a shot.

DemolitionMan
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
The Georgia department of transportation said a boat that old doesnt have a vin on the trailer so they gave me a new one.

cbryan70
06-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Haha my boat is to old for my insurance company to insure it had to go with boatUS how nuts is that!

ski_king
06-01-2007, 01:49 PM
My 82 has a silver/grey VIN sticker about 2-3 feet back from the tounge on the left hand side. All the markings disappeared from it after a few years including serial number, etc.
There may be a serial number marked somewhere else on the frame, but I never noticed it.

pram
06-01-2007, 01:53 PM
The Georgia department of transportation said a boat that old doesnt have a vin on the trailer so they gave me a new one.

You should register his boat trailer for him in Georgia then sell it to him with a new vin number and registration. 30-40 bucks and all is done

Did they need to see the trailer? If not fly at it nothing to loose and only a couple of minutes of work

74stars
06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
This is great- keep the ideas coming!

DemolitionMan
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
They didnt ask to see any thing but a bill of sale my trailer tag is 12.00 per year. My boat insurance is 220.00 a year. My boat registration is 30.00 every 3 years.

justinglow
06-01-2007, 09:48 PM
In Texas you can just call it a homemade trailer and tell them how much it weighs and how much it's going to carry. Pay the taxes and they give you a plate for the trailer. I had to this on a couple earlier boats I owned.

73SS
06-07-2007, 01:45 PM
No VIN on my factory original 73 trailer. It is the most homemade looking thing you could imagine. My trailer registration says homemade.

TMCNo1
06-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Do you have any paperwork, bill of sale, CO, Insurance Info, anything with the original VIN, then after sandblasting, stamp the VIN on the tongue on the port side trailer rail berfore priming/painting or powdercoating.

74stars
06-08-2007, 05:06 PM
73SS- Your right, mine looks handmade as well-almost like it was a prototype of the later (78 &up) trailers. TMC#1- I wish I did- I would just stamp it like you said. Anyone know how many digits and what kid of sequence was used?