PDA

View Full Version : boat leans to one side

Eastbayboarder
06-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I beached my 89 prostar 190 on A sandbar last year. It rand rough after so I took it in, had A full tune-up, had the shaft checked and the prop checked. They said everything is fine. My first time out this year it ran rough like the prop is tweaked, but what concerns me is the lean..... on turns right the steering wheel is easy to turn but the boat leans so far i'm almost putting it in the water. on left turns the steering is so hard I almost have to use two hands and I get no where near the lean I do to the right. Boat shop thinks I'm water logged inside the boat... I don't buy it, I've never taken on that much water. Any help would be appreciated and i'm sorry this is so long, it's my first post here.. thanks

Danimal
06-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Could one of the tracking fins be bent?

jraben8
06-01-2007, 12:47 PM
I had an '87 that performed the same way (but it hadn't hit anything that I knew about.) Turns out that I forced grease into the zerk for the rudder and it made a world of difference. Just a thought...

Eastbayboarder
06-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Could one of the tracking fins be bent?
the center one is definitely off center

Eastbayboarder
06-01-2007, 01:17 PM
so it was leaning hard to one side as well as hard to steer? I will definitely check that . thanks.

mpm32
06-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I have read that the fins are not supposed to be aligned straight down the middle. They need to have some set like a handsaw.

hester
06-01-2007, 01:25 PM
My PS 190 acts like that a little when turning but I think it is due to the offset rudder in relation to the prop/shaft. From what I've read on another post that is standard for some of the older boats. A bent fin could magnify this natural occurrence.

It also leans a little to the right on straight always but I think that is a problem with my diet and not the boat! :D

JimN
06-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Eastbayboarder- How long did the motor run after it beached? Was the sand covering the whole bottom of the hull or the area around the raw water pickup fitting? Sounds likely that a bunch of sand was sucked into the motor and settled in the block's water jacket and exhaust manifold on that side. remove the impeller and look for small grooves in the housing as well as excessive wear in the impeller. Pull the block drain plug on the low side and see if there's sand caked on the hole. If water gushes out, it may be OK. If no water comes out or it dribbles out slowly, it will need to be cleared out.

If the speedo ballasts have never been cleared during winterization, they may have cracked and leaked into the hull where there may not be a drain hole. East bay, where? It shows West as your location and that doesn't tell anything. Is the boat ever stored in a cold place?

Eastbayboarder
06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm 30 minutes east of San Francisco. It rarely freezes here. The boat was buried up to the swim deck in the sand but didnt run for more than A second once I hit. The shop put a new impeller in so I don't know what it looked like. I will pull the drain plug and check for sand. How do I clear the speedo ballasts? Never personally done it. Had the boat for 6 years and still learning. Only 270 hours on the boat. fyi. Thanks again, Mike.

tex
06-03-2007, 12:43 PM
My old Ski Supreme leaned to the driver's side. I was baffled too until one of my friends pointed out that I was fat!

JimN
06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
If the boat will never be cold enough to freeze, don't bother clearing the ballasts unless they stop working properly. Low pressure compressed air is involved, or some kind of pump.

victorff
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Put the ice chest on the other side!!!

tuffenuff
06-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Eastbayboarder, I tend to support JimN's theory. My friend filled his block 2 years ago. Didn't lean, but threw a much better wake, and heated up on him! If I didn't have a raw water screen and closed cooling system, my boat would have been in the same situation last weekend. I got lucky.
P.S. I'm in Antioch, what city east of San Fran are you in? Did the Delta due this to you?