PDA

View Full Version : First Tow for Stranded Boater

hester
06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Cheesy post but I thought Id share.

Wakeskating about 8:15 last night we ran across a broken down 19 bayliner (no comment) with 10 on board. With the rope hooked up I looked back and said hold on Im gonna keeper at around 30mph. Before I told them I was kidding their eyes were all like golf balls.

Not to my surprise the MC towed like a champ the half mile back to their ramp. So now it is 8:40pm and my truck was at a ramp that closes at 9:00pm. So back in the cove Im looking out at a mile of glass across the lake back to my ramp. There was only one thing I had not done yet and that was a WOT hole shot. Well you know how this story endsears pinned to my head, eyes watering and made it out with time to spare.

The funny thing is right when we unhooked their boat the dad asked if we were going to be there all weekend. We all laughed and agreed to keep an eye out for them.

dpolen
06-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Good Karma on your part! Hopefully that guy will pay it forward someday as you did for him.

Jesus_Freak
06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Cheesy post but I thought Id share.

Wakeskating about 8:15 last night we ran across a broken down 19 bayliner (no comment) with 10 on board. With the rope hooked up I looked back and said hold on Im gonna keeper at around 30mph. Before I told them I was kidding their eyes were all like golf balls.

Not to my surprise the MC towed like a champ the half mile back to their ramp. ..

I had to tow a new Bayliner (just 3 hours on it, also no comment) a few weeks ago. The PS 205 did the trick. I stayed real slow, but dont have much experience with this. How fast did you end up going, really?

hester
06-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I played with the throttle a little to find the sweet spot so we could make decent time without raising our bow much. We seem to make good time and be comfortable around 1300rpm.

Ive towed a bunch in our 31 CC (twin 225s) and the MC did really well being low and having plenty of torque.

With the big boat I've pulled smaller boats up on plane which is not usually safe unless the conditions are perfect. And obviously the number one problem with towing is stopping the vessel in tow. We use the longest possible rope so there is plenty of room for error.

milkmania
06-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I've pulled numerous downed boats with my 91 PS190.....

never felt uncomfortable:twocents:

heck, it's easier to tow them than to pull the bench and get to the battery to jump start them (before I started carrying my jump stsrt pack)

pram
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I've pulled a few boats with my MC. I believe in Karma.

jraben8
06-01-2007, 02:28 PM
I haven't accepted money for towing but I do ask them to stop for me if I'm in trouble....

tex
06-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I had a guy in a Boston Wailer tow me in back in my Supreme days. He took one beer for the ride and as he turned to drive off I noticed a Parrothead sticker on his boat. I belive in Parrothead Karma.

chudson
06-01-2007, 03:01 PM
"Good job hester", that jesture will come back to help you some day I'm sure of it!!! My son was at the ramp waiting to loadup one evening a couple of years back when the DNR guys came running up and asked Dan to help them catch a smoker that had been buzzing through the 5mph areas (they had just trailered their boat) and Dan said sure. He helped them nail the smoker and from then on the DNR guys always wave as we pass on the lake, our boat kinda stands out anyway. But it's always a good thing to be in good with the DNR boys.:cool:
Also I belive in Parrothead Karma too.:cool: :cool:

cmack
06-01-2007, 03:26 PM
WE also got a chance to tow someone in about two weeks ago. The engine was just out of break in with 15 hours. So we went real slow, never got over 10mph. I know she could do more but did not want to push it.
It was wierd because bot boats were just floating, we were not close at all but could see a flury of activity and came over to see if they were ok. I think it was a Starcraft - idonno, 6-8 people and the engine just would not turnover. It was not new but they said "they only have 18hrs on it".
It took forever to tow it back. He offered gas $$ but did not take it. He said next time he sees us out there he will buy us dinner. I can't resist free food!!

fintek9
06-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm pulling someone it seems like twice a month, when I see a engine compartment open my family knows whats next!! OK, to weeks ago,
mind you we are on a lake you can see all sides, I'm out with my kids and there friends, we stop for a while and lord and behold DEAD BATTERY, my lids open.... do you think someone would go out of their
way to see whats up???? heck no.... I have to call my nieghbor and get him out on his pontoon to give me a jump......but you know what.. the next lid I see open.... I'M THERE.

CaptCurt72
06-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Here is a 38' Stryker with twin 502's that was in need of a pull.

I would rather be in the front boat anyday.

Chicago190
06-01-2007, 06:35 PM
2 years ago on the 4th of July my old boat died in the beginning of a channel between 2 lakes and we were unable to get it restarted. About 30 people passed without stopping until finally someone pulled up for the 5 min tow to the nearest marina that we could take it out at. Sure enough, the man who stopped to help us was the salesman at the Mastercraft dealer which I had purchased and stored the boat at for the last 8 years (non-MC BTW, he still stopped to help). And last month when I was ready to upgrade to a MC the person who I bought the boat from was the same person who had towed us out. So moral of the story is that good Karma really does come back to you, in this case in the form of a sales commission.

atlfootr
06-01-2007, 06:39 PM
I haven't accepted money for towing but I do ask them to stop for me, if I'm in trouble....I'm sure the odds for that ever happing would be more in their favor than yours, and at what gas prices are today I'd say SHOW me THE Money $$$

trickskier
06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I've never accepted MONEY to pull someone in...............However, I've NEVER refused a BUDWEISER!!!

phecksel
06-01-2007, 10:52 PM
On the 4th of july weekend, we typically don't even go on the water. Few hundred yards from the launch site. Sit and watch boat, after boat, after boat get towed back. I've towed so many boats, now only do if there's children on board or I happen to be in a really charitable mood.

Leroy
06-02-2007, 02:24 AM
I towed one beat up I/O two years ago about 4 miles. I made sure to use his rope and doubled it for strength. I was very worried about snapping the rope.

6ballsisall
06-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Only had to tow in a few boats myself but happy to stop and help someone in distress. I had to be towed in a few times w/ my 86' while she was still in the rehab process so I COMPLETELY believe in boat tow Karma. ;)

Jesus_Freak
06-02-2007, 02:33 AM
I played with the throttle a little to find the sweet spot so we could make decent time without raising our bow much. We seem to make good time and be comfortable around 1300rpm.....

Exactly what we did. Seemed OK, but again my first experience with it.

When we finished, they clearly understand I wasnt wanting any money, so they threw some loose bills in the boat as they pushed off. I thought that was classy.

WTRSK1R
06-02-2007, 10:33 AM
A couple of years ago, a friend and I were out skiing early in the morining on a Sunday. We were doing our thing, and I was driving and I saw this boat in the middle of the lake with people swimming. I did not think too much about it since it was a really nice morning, and pulled my friend while his son spotted. Now it was my turn, I jump in the water, and my friend pulls me up, and as we go back past the boat with all the people swimming my friend realized they had ropes and were swimming the boat back into shore. I still did not even notice until my friend dropped the throttle and came back to pick me up. I was sort of confused why he quit pulling me, but figured something must be up. After I was back in the boat, we puttered over and sure enough they were dead. It would have been a really long swim, but we towed them back in.

For me, I have been towed in once because of a dead battery.