PDA

View Full Version : Water Ski Handle

Tennesseeski
06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
What brand/type of handle do you all use? What diamater and how long? Straight or radius? Which type of grip? What are the pros and cons of each size and type. I want to get a new handle and don't know anything about them and would like some info and see what everyone else uses and why. Then maybe I can make a better judgement on one. I don't have any stores near me to see and feel different handles so I'm kinda shooting in the dark.

beef
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I use a 13" elliptical handle, because I like the way the front of the bar conforms to my grip. I think the diameter is 1.025 or so - I find the larger diameter is easier on the forearms. Currently using a Straightline, but have had several fail so my next handle will be the new Proline Prophecy 12".

WTRSK1R
06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Personally, I would avoid any tractor grip handle. They tear my hands up something fierce. I have a straight line B2i handle, currently with a radius grip in it. The B2i is an interchangeable handle that you can buy different grips for and swap out in about 30 seconds. I carry a straight grip in the boat because one of the guys I ski with prefers that, but never brings his own handle. I have had it for about 1.5 seasons and it gets used multiple times per week for about 7-8 months in the Wisconsin season. So far, it is holding up well. One thing I have noticed on previous handles is skiing with a wedding ring on is very hard on your hands and the handle, so I no longer do it.

Steve

east tx skier
06-01-2007, 10:53 AM
12" straight masterline; 0.940 diameter; regular smooth grip (no tractor---they hurt my hands, too).

shepherd
06-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Check out this thread: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16538&highlight=overtons

It's mostly a matter of personal preference. I've skied with many different types of handles and it really doesn't seem to make much difference what I use. I've had a Masterline rope/handle for a couple years now and it worked good. The handle is radiused with a smooth grip. It's time to replace it and I'll probably get another Masterline.

I've had one with a "tractor" grip once but it tore up my gloves pretty quick (they were cheap gloves though). And that style of grip may be harder on your hands, but it does seem to "stick" a little better.

BuoyChaser
06-01-2007, 11:19 AM
i have and love my small diameter Masterline handle!!!check them out along with a variety of others at http://www.masterlineusa.com/Masterline/Mapple-Custom

i've got small hands for my size as well as thick fingers, so the smaller diameter works great for me, and the longer 13" gives me more leverage through the wakes...

13" ML Custom Handle .888" Dia. $77

they also offer custom "engraving" your name into the rubber of the handle which is so cool!!!

Tennesseeski
06-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the input. I can see where the tractor grip would be more apt to wear your gloves and be rough on the hands. Seems masterline is the handle of choice so far. I looked at the webpage and they do appear to have a nice product.

Brent
06-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Tournament skiers seem to like Brenda's ropes & handles!

www.jlbmfg.com/

east tx skier
06-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Has she been able to get any small diameter handles lately? Last I checked (this was a while ago), she was having problems with her supplier. Either way, she makes great gear and is nice to work with.

BrianM
06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Has she been able to get any small diameter handles lately? Last I checked (this was a while ago), she was having problems with her supplier. Either way, she makes great gear and is nice to work with.

I think she finally got some of the smaller diameter handles.

I ski with her 12" Team Handle with her standard diameter eliptical. Very nice handle.

Bruce
06-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I liked my first one. A sawed off broom handle with a hole in each end to pull the rope through and tie a knot in. They just don't make 'em like they use to!

tex
06-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Just wrap the rope around your wrist. It will help with tumble turns!

Ryan
06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
For those who cite tractor grips hurting thier hands, is this with or without gloves?

BuoyChaser
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
would you use a shovel with a "tractor grip" or a "smooth grip", my point made!!!

if you can't hold on to a smooth grip, the problem is with your strength, not the handle!!!

LakePirate
06-03-2007, 11:42 PM
The tractor grip gives you the cool bruise if you hook it at your elbow.

I prefer the tractor grip myself.

The biggest thing I have ran across is diameter more than anything else. I have big hands and the smaller diameter handles destroy my hands.

Ryan
06-04-2007, 10:00 AM
would you use a shovel with a "tractor grip" or a "smooth grip", my point made!!!

if you can't hold on to a smooth grip, the problem is with your strength, not the handle!!!

So you're sayin' I need to work out huh? :D

MYMC
06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Practice with a large diameter and compete with a small. Use a 13" as it gives you a better chance at skiing back to the handle when you are behind.

If slalom is a strength sport explain why the girls run into 38 everytime? April Coble or Michelle Simpson don't look like Arnold to me!

BuoyChaser
06-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Practice with a large diameter and compete with a small. Use a 13" as it gives you a better chance at skiing back to the handle when you are behind.

If slalom is a strength sport explain why the girls run into 38 everytime? April Coble or Michelle Simpson don't look like Arnold to me!
good point that April/Michelle don't look like Arnold, but look at their weight ratio comapred to guys...they are probably 120lbs compared to our 160lbs, but they have strong CORES and PERFECT FORM to distribute the strength required across their trunk, rather than muscling it through with the arms like us guys do!!!

Ryan
06-04-2007, 12:18 PM
I haven't skied at 160lbs since I was in the 6th or 7th grade.

MYMC
06-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm right there with you.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Gee, I dont know if I was EVER 160 lbs.......even at birth....:( :o

Ryan
06-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Gee, I dont know if I was EVER 160 lbs.......even at birth....:( :o

Maybe a few years ago. You're so light and fit, I think you'd blow away in the wind. Maybe that's how you fly. :D