PDA

View Full Version : Help...boat leak

krtrcr
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
OK, I searched and searched because I am afraid all you experienced guys will make fun of me, but I could not find an answer so here it goes...

I stored my boat in a slip and it took on a lot of water...I mean a lot of water (into the passenger compartment). So I pulled the boat out and dried it out with the intent of putting it back in the water and looking for the leak point.

I was working on it today, when I realized the center ballest bag was not emptying even though it sounds like the pump was working. On top of that there was quite a bit of water outside of the ballast bag, so I decided to pull the bag and look around. I disconnected the three hoses, and let the water flow into the compartment. Well I soon realize that there is a significant drip out of the bottom of the boat. It is dripping from around the outside of round black plastic peice with a little spinning wheel in it that is on the bottom of the boat. I don't know what this thing is, which is my first question. (my guess is that it is either a speedometer wheel, or the infeed for the ballast system). Second, I tried to gently pry the piece off and it did not want to come off. Before I used too much force I thought I would look on the website, which is why I am here. So here are my 3 questions:

1 What is this round black plastic piece with the little spinning wheel in it?

2 Is it possible that this is my leak point?

3 How do I replace it?

Thanks for your help
Russ

dmayer84
05-31-2007, 10:29 PM
It is the paddlewheel for the speedo an PP. If you go into the boat there is a ring around it that can be tightened to clamp it down. You can also get a new paddlewheel from your dealer.

WTRSK1R
05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
If you bought the boat new, it should have come with a "plug" that can be installed in place of the speedometer pickup. The pickup is removable from inside the boat, and has an o-ring around the outside of it to seal. I would try just pulling it out and see if the o-ring is still there, and in tact.

If you have the plug, you can pull the pickup out, and plug the hole. You will not have a speedometer, but you will be able to see if it fixes the leak.

Good Luck.

Steve

Leroy
05-31-2007, 11:46 PM
Russ; YOu did your homework well! The perfect pass wheel could have done it and should be an easy fix. If it is the drive shaft seal it is also pretty easy fix and you should be able to see when you drop it back in the water. Depending on which boat it could be couple of other things.

Couple of comments:
You should have the bilge on auto.
It could be the drive shaft seal.
Are you leaving the boat in the water all the time?
If it really came up on the passenger floor you need to lube the starter moter and look at the oil in engine and tranny.

beatle78
06-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Do you just use marine grease to lube the starter motor?

I'm assuming you mean lube the starter motor gear?

krtrcr
06-04-2007, 11:44 AM
First off,you guys rock! What did we all do for answers before the internet??? It was for sure the perfect pass that was leaking. I bought the boat used and the guy I bought it from told me that he had installed the Perfect Pass himself. When we took it apart we saw that he used nothing to seal the base unit to the bottom of the boat. No wonder the freakin thing was leaking. Cleaned it up and sealed it, and not a drip of water inside. So much anxiety about having a leak in the boat solved in about 15 minutes of work. Thanks for the tip on the starter motor. Is there a special kind of grease that you recommend??

Anyway thanks again for the quick responses, I really appreciate it.
Russ

beatle78
06-04-2007, 11:59 AM
krtcr, I agree there must be like 500 years of combined experience on this board.

I couldn't live without it!!!

Thanks MC Fanatics/Experts/Lunatics :)