PDA

View Full Version : Air Pump for Toobs

dpolen
05-31-2007, 05:12 PM
I just bought a couple towables for my little girl today, so she can have as much fun on the lake as I do. I know its a mortal sin to pull a toob behind a MC, but so be it. What are good air pumps that are a good bang for the buck?

Here's one of the things I bought...it looked like a lot of fun when I saw it at the boat show. I don't know who's more excited, my daughter or me.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fiji_Island_With_Slide&r=view&i=12798&aID=

Toober Tom
05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Welcome to the dark side! Nothing to be ashamed about when ou toob behind a MasterCraft.

Don't go too cheap on a pump. I picked up one for $10 at Wal Mart and it died before I got the first toob filed up.

Right now I use my 5 HP Craftsman compressor. It will fill m up fast.

Kaser
05-31-2007, 05:23 PM
I have a cheap cigerette lighter powered air pump it takes a little bit longer but it hasn't failed me in the 2 summers that i've had it. *this will be the third*

pulling your daughter behind a MC just means that you like to have style while still allowing your little girl to have fun :) No harm done in that.

ProTour X9
05-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Very bold of you dpolen, I use this (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Magic_Air_12V_Inflator/Deflator_for_Towable_Tubes&r=view&i=19433&aID=) to fill up the water trampoline or this (http://www.anythingxtreme.com/OBrien-2007-Screamer-Tube-P12645C3574.aspx?UserID=15237116&SessionID=6h6JtuhzWQ3UoM9g7Ayg)

TMCNo1
05-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Do it the "Old Fashioned" way,

trickskier
05-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey #1,
Does that thing still actually work??? And why isn't it polished??? Looks like you could get some splinters in your hand from that wooden handle!!! :D

trickskier
05-31-2007, 05:54 PM
All kidding aside, this is what I keep on my boat.

dpolen
05-31-2007, 06:11 PM

Yikes...that would take forever. A classic tool, but I don't know if that one is going to cut the cake for the amount of air I'm going to have to put in these "toys".;)

dpolen
05-31-2007, 06:30 PM
All kidding aside, this is what I keep on my boat.

Does that put air in pretty quick? thinking for use for larger toys...

robisjo
05-31-2007, 06:36 PM
I bought a cheap one at WalMart for under $20 four years ago and its still going strong.

Doug G
05-31-2007, 06:41 PM
We carry this one. Not only inflates but also deflates.

Magic-Air 12V Inflator/Deflator for Towable Tubes Pumps 20 cu. ft. per minute.

Bruce
05-31-2007, 06:55 PM
What is scary is that I remember those! Be sure and oil the leather washer!

duckguy
05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
2007 you can get one as an option

butter
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
I use this cordless device...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=895608

Really nice not to have to deal with the cord and cig adapter, etc...

(Watch out for the mastercraft police, when pulling that tube;) )

TMCNo1
05-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey #1,
Does that thing still actually work??? And why isn't it polished??? Looks like you could get some splinters in your hand from that wooden handle!!!

I borrowed it off Fleebay!
You know me well, I would have painted it, polished it, teak oiled the handle and modified it to pump 700psi per pump!:eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :D

trickskier
05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Does that put air in pretty quick? thinking for use for larger toys...
Yes, it's double action, so it's putting air in on both the down & up stroke................:D

milkmania
05-31-2007, 10:40 PM
I use this one.....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694688

sucks & blows

fortheboyz
05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Mortal Sin...what? Our kids love it...that's all that matters!

We bought a pump from Costco, 6 years ago and still going strong...too bad they don't sell them anymore.

That Magic-Air looks inviting!

trickskier
05-31-2007, 10:42 PM
I borrowed it off Fleebay!
You know me well, I would have painted it, polished it, teak oiled the handle and modified it to pump 700psi per pump!:cool: :rolleyes: :D
Now wait a minute......................If you put Teak Oil on the handle, wouldn't that make it SLIPPERY??? :rolleyes:

JDK
05-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Mortal Sin...what? Our kids love it...that's all that matters!

We bought a pump from Costco, 6 years ago and still going strong...too bad they don't sell them anymore.

That Magic-Air looks inviting!

I've got that same tube and can fill it in about 30 seconds with my Sears shop vac........just hook the hose up to the 'blow' side. I've also got a 12 ft. water tramp. and can air it up in about 2 mins. with the vac.
I used to use a compressor, but this is way easier and quicker. I think I'm going to try my elect. leaf blower next time.

WTRSK1R
05-31-2007, 11:52 PM
I have a small Coleman battery powered pump that takes 4 D cell batteries. It works great to blow up our very large tube. We have a 2 person tube that is almost 7 feet in diameter. I have had as many as 4 kids on it, and it tows great since it just big and flat. Anyway, it will blow up the tube in about 5 minutes. We use it almost every weekend, and a set of batteries will last all summer. The tube is alway deflated and in a duffle bag until we are ready to tow it so that it does not get in the way when launching. We deflate it and put it back in the duffel bag before loading the boat. It is available at Target and Walmart among other places.

Leroy
06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I bought the cheapest thing at Walmart on sale, ~$10 and have used it since 2001.

I'm incredibly impressed the batteries last that long!

We use it almost every weekend, and a set of batteries will last all summer.

TMCNo1
06-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Now wait a minute......................If you put Teak Oil on the handle, wouldn't that make it SLIPPERY??? :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I don't walk on my Fleebay bike pump! Just use it for my blow-up girlfriends! Tie a rope around her neck, tow her behind the boat and boy, what a ride!:rolleyes: :cool: :D

djhuff
06-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I've got the cheap wal mart cig lighter one. It works GREAT, and deflates too.

PaulW
06-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Good times for the family on the toobing. We ski, wakeboard and toob when the lake gets rough or were to tired to do anything else. To bad the kids can't drive and you sit in that big toob with your wife sipping a cool one

etakk7
06-01-2007, 11:27 AM
that yellow air head on the first page is what I have as well. I pumps in both directions so it is pretty fast. I never pump tubes up from completely flat with it, I only put more in when necessary. I recommend a good tank air compressor in the garage, take them to the lake filled, then tube first, deflate, and do the other sports.

dpolen
06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Good times for the family on the toobing. We ski, wakeboard and toob when the lake gets rough or were to tired to do anything else. To bad the kids can't drive and you sit in that big toob with your wife sipping a cool one

Paul...If only life were that simple!!!

dpolen
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm going to have to inflate/deflate each time we go to the boat. I like the concept of the rechargeable one and the ones that inflate/deflate...but I know I will catch major flack when the batteries run out some nice afternoon on the lake. I do appreciate everyone sharing their two cents on this. As one you guys put it...at least I'll be pulling a pretty cool kid in a new tube behind an even cooler dad in a sweet MC. I'll get some pics up as soon as the toys arrive. Bought a Rave Hydro racer last night on Ebay...supposed to be one of the safer toobs for the little kids (my daughter is only 2).

hokiecharlie
06-01-2007, 04:34 PM
A dad will do anything for his little girl-even pull her on a tube behind a MC. Make the most of this time. I have 4 daughters--24, 22, 20, and 16. I can almost remember the days when all they wanted to do was be with their dad--not boyfriends.

endl
06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
I got one of the real small craftsman plastic canister vacums for christmas to keep in my dock box at the boat lift. I use it to clean and vacum the boat. I figured out the other day you can place the hose in the outlet side and it fits "with a little help" tightly over a fill valve on airhead tubes and fills them up real fast. Downside you have to have AC. Works very well.

stevenm2
06-02-2007, 05:42 AM
we use a 12volt pump (a cheapy) and finish the process with a foot pump. It really helps to get more air in them to make them "perform" properly. I wonder if the magic-air is worth the money?

Doug G
06-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Welcome to the dark side! Nothing to be ashamed about when ou toob behind a MasterCraft.

Don't go too cheap on a pump. I picked up one for $10 at Wal Mart and it died before I got the first toob filed up.

Right now I use my 5 HP Craftsman compressor. It will fill m up fast.

Hey Toober I thought the TubeStar had a compressor and fill hose as an option built on to the bote. You didn't get that? I'm shocked, that's like having an X-star without ballast ;)