PDA

View Full Version : P/N for Holley Carb on 1988 Prostar 190 w/351

djpruitt
05-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I am trying to find a good source where I can order a new replacement carb for a 1998 Prostar 190 with the 351 engine and am wondering approximately how much a new carb costs compared to a rebuilt one. I have seen other threads reference a model 4160 but how can I tell if that is the correct carb model for my boat? Also, do you need a mechanic to install and fine tune or should it work well just as a bolt-on replacement? The boat has 370 hours original and has only been cranked a few times each year for the past 6 years spending most of the time in my driveway. I don't want to get into trying to rebuild the carb since I am sure many of the parts are gummed up and I don't have the expertise to do this. I am sure the carb is the problem b/c after running wide open and backing off the throttle the back barrels keep dumping fuel to the point where it is sitting in the the rear barrells. Even after the boat is off you can still see fuel dripping into the rear bowls/barrels/whatever they are called. Thank You.

TMCNo1
05-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Check here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1115

ProStar Slalom
05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
4160 is the way to go. I put a new 4160 on my '87 in January. Just bolted it on with a new gasket, and good to go. Runs great, with no adjustments required. Available at skidim.com, or you can probably search around a bit and save about $50. I paid around $425, if I remember right.

WilliM1940
05-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Discount Inboard Marine is a good supplier and will get you the proper marine carb. However, they also sell renew kits and other associated items for this unit. Doing a carb renew for your unit is not difficult, you don't have to understand every little nuance of its operation for a successful outcome. With so few hours on the boat, it would be a shame to just chuck a unit for the sake of a few gasket replacements and a good soaking in carb cleaner. I would recommend getting a catalog for the above company, the renew kit, bowl screws, and a Holley rebuild manual. Set you back 70 bucks? Or buy a new unit for 500? They become less mysterious with a rebuild.

Hunterb
05-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Before you go spend $500.00 on a new carb I'd suggest, as the above poster did, that you take a shot at 'refreshing' your current one. It's not that likely that the carb is shot, it probably just needs new gaskets and an adjusting. Here's a short article that walks you through the rebuild process. It's not that hard and the kits are cheap, less than
1/10th the cost of a new unit.

Good luck

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/1999/12/holley/index.php

Bruce

prostarrocks190
05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/IND4/Fuel+System+for+Indmar

check this link out also,the have all indmar parts instock and they are cheaper then skidim!!!!!!!!

djpruitt
06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the link, I am considering attempting the rebuild although one of the steps mentions using some locktite on the 8 screws connecting the base plate to the body so they don't vibrate loose and fall in the engine. Is this anything to worry about, can I screw up the engine if the rebuild is not perfect? 2nd question: Holley says my carb is discontinued (E8JL 9510-CA LIST 50463) and the replacement would be the universal marine calibrated 4160 (p/n 0-80551) which apparently has a side entry fuel inlet. My current carb has the 45-degree fuel inlet. If I replace my carb with the universal do I just need to order a new flexible fuel line or 90-degree adapter?

alp
06-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Call Ski Dim. Replaced our carb this spring. They were very helpful. Rambo Marine may have the fuel line if you need one.

Hunterb
06-18-2007, 02:58 PM
The danger of your engine inhaling a screw is pretty minimal. You'll see what they are talking about when you take the carb apart, if that's the route you choose. They are really quite simple to work on. When you put those particular screws back in just put a dab of lock-tite on them and make sure they are tight and you will have no problem. As for the fuel line, I'm not sure what you would need. It's not a huge expense to have a flexible line made up if you need it.

Bruce

85S&S_Keuka
06-20-2007, 08:13 AM
The 4160 that skidim sells is calibrated for ski boats, and has the 45 degree fuel inlet. It is a simple bolt on replacement.

djpruitt
06-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks to all for the replies and info. After considering this carb was rebuilt 10 years ago and it has only been cranked a couple of times a year for the past 6 years I decided to skip trying to rebuild the carb, especially after finding out they had a problem with some parts in the rebuild kits and had to pull stock and the current kits are back ordered. I placed an order through SKIDIM on Monday for the new carb after being told it was in stock but as it turns out they did not have any and I finally found out on Thursday that Holley is not shipping them the new carbs until July 2nd!!! After 6 years of not using the boat I suddenly am in a mode where I have to have it ready NOW. Skidim was very helpful and even called another vendor and found the part for me. I ordered a new universal 4160 with the marine calibration from Summitt Racing yesterday, received it today, and installed it this afternoon. Took it out for a few laps and it runs great with the only exception being that I am not getting quite enough top end speed. With full throttle it goes to 39,40,and eventually 4100 rpm and seems to stop there with speed aroudn 40. I am hoping to get back up to around 42-45mph. Any ideas what may need to be adjusted? The only problem I had with the carb install was the throttle linkage. It has a small rectangular plate with one screw and one small bump out which attaches to the built-in plate on the carb. To get the plate to fit I had to move the clamp on the throttle cable back to the 2nd set of screw holes toward the rear of the boat. In neutral the throttle backs off all the way to a stop and at full throttle it seems to be wide open. So what other adjustments are there? Idle in neutral is at 1.0 and in gear is around 6-8. I'll try to post some pics in the morning. Thanks.