PDA

View Full Version : Wake surfing

River Rat
02-07-2005, 08:06 AM
I have a friend who is a big surfer. I was wondering what it takes to surf behind a boat. I have a good wake what I need to know is how fast do I go and if you can do this on a regulator surf board?

DanC
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
9-10 mph, adjust to maximize the wake without washing it out with foam. Load as much weight in the back as you are comfortable with and load to one side. A regualar surfboard will work, skim boards will also work.

Cary K.
02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
We load my '01 XStar(X-2) with front and applicable side KGB, plus another 550 sac in the same locker. Set PP on 9.8-10.1 and ride all day. Regular boards work great, but are really hard to spin. Just in case, regular riders on left side of boat, goofy on right (driver side). Also keep all people on that same side. Sometimes we will throw another 550 half full on the side in the bow.

River Rat
02-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is it better to use a small board or longer one. I'll have to try this out as soon as soon as the sun comes out. Haven't seen it in 2 weeks!!

DanC
02-07-2005, 08:11 PM
A longer board works better for learning, stability, holding speed, etc. But a longer board will have the problem of burying the nose. Most regular surf boards are too flat for wake surfing.

Our kids spent their first few times wakesurfing on a 6 foot soft top. It was ok to play around with to figure out the dynamics of wake surfing but it was pretty limiting compared to an Inland Surfer, Hyperlyte or Phase 5 wake surf board.

Cary K.
02-07-2005, 08:58 PM
DanC is right; though we have been riding a 9'2" longboard lately and having a blast. Hang 5s/10s walking around on it, varials. We usually ride a HL Broadcast (able to do more tech stuff)

shepherd
01-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Can someone go through the steps on how the wake surfer starts out? Is it like a kneeboard where you start out laying down on the board then pop up on your knees and eventually on your feet?

Kevin&Annie
01-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Can someone go through the steps on how the wake surfer starts out? Is it like a kneeboard where you start out laying down on the board then pop up on your knees and eventually on your feet?
Shep,
We start more like a wakeboard. Just rest your heels on the board and press down on them when you feel the boat start to pull. We've also done some dry starts by putting the nose of the board on the platform.

Annie

JohnE
01-13-2009, 06:27 PM

Skidog's giving a clinic May 1 @ 2:00.................Don't miss it.

And I'm volunteering Knox to help him.

shepherd
01-13-2009, 06:30 PM

So I heard, and I hope to be there!

I'm trying to get my surfing buddy to try waterskiing. The easiest way to get him out there is to tell him he can bring his surfboard. We want to figure this thing out before May.

shepherd
01-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Shep,
We start more like a wakeboard. Just rest your heels on the board and press down on them when you feel the boat start to pull. We've also done some dry starts by putting the nose of the board on the platform.

Annie

Thanks Annie! On the dry starts: Do you start out at 0 speed with the board already on the transom and the surfer already on the board and then go, or do you put the board out there while the boat is already moving and the surfer steps out onto it? (stupid question?)

wakeX2wake
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
our dry starts usually starts w/ the boat idling high around 5 mph and you just slide the board off and increase the speed as you do... kind of like a moving dock start on a ski or wakeboard... you'll want to do many many deep water starts first and get really comfortable riding the surfer first... clear and present danger of slamming face on the platform... seen it get really close before and it's not cool at all

Kevin&Annie
01-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks Annie! On the dry starts: Do you start out at 0 speed with the board already on the transom and the surfer already on the board and then go, or do you put the board out there while the boat is already moving and the surfer steps out onto it? (stupid question?)
For dry starts, we start at 0 speed with the nose of the board on the platform and the rider standing on the nose and holding on to whoever happens to be balast. As the boat picks up speed, the rider shifts their weight back until to nose of the board is off the platform. We do dry stops too, by easing the nose back on the platform and stepping off.

jgarner
01-14-2009, 07:38 AM
I am also interested in trying surfing this summer off of our X-2. What is a decent board for beginners that also allows for progression from some riders. I was looking at the CWB Ride, but not sure if that would be a board for everyone. Can anyone give me some further input?

JohnE
01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
So I heard, and I hope to be there!

I'm trying to get my surfing buddy to try waterskiing. The easiest way to get him out there is to tell him he can bring his surfboard. We want to figure this thing out before May.

The water isn't warm enough here for me to worry about it before May.:mad:

KnoxX2
01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
John I have everything you need to learn how to surf at CSM!!!

JohnE
01-14-2009, 09:07 AM
John I have everything you need to learn how to surf at CSM!!!

Including Corona Lights?:D

Monte
01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Including Corona Lights?:D

Including the Corona Lights:cool:

KnoxX2
01-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Including the Corona Lights:cool:

You read my mind!!!!:D

VOLFAN
01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a feeling there is going to be a lot more surfing going on at CSM this year.

KnoxX2
01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes and so will be at Night!!!!!!!!

We did that at MM this last year and that was alot of fun........

JohnE
01-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Look out for idiots doing power turns at night, too.

JohnE
01-14-2009, 10:28 AM
I have a feeling there is going to be a lot more surfing going on at CSM this year.

Looks that way.:cool:

KnoxX2
01-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Look out for idiots doing power turns at night, too.

I think they will be with us in the X2 ........ so we will be ok!!!!!:rolleyes::D

Monte
01-14-2009, 10:41 AM
I think they will be with us in the X2 ........ so we will be ok!!!!!:rolleyes:

Are you saying that your night time power turn skills are that much more superior:rolleyes: Them may be fighting words Knox.. My money is on Monica to win that fight:rolleyes: Just so you know:cool:

KnoxX2
01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
No I am not saying that .................... I was saying that the ones with the skills (Monica) will be in the boat with us.

Nice try S%*! Starter

Monte
01-14-2009, 11:02 AM
No I am not saying that .................... I was saying that the ones with the skills (Monica) will be in the boat with us.

Nice try S%*! Starter

Was that a ducking sidestep:rolleyes::D

KnoxX2
01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
I know who not to mess with around here.

VOLFAN
01-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Monte you just have to watch out for the hot tub cover. It will sucker punch ya.

TMCNo1
01-14-2009, 11:30 AM

JohnE will have to surf after the Friday night Southern seafood dinner and he won't have to even wear a ski vest, grease floats!

Monte
01-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Monte you just have to watch out for the hot tub cover. It will sucker punch ya.

Check that.. It was a sucker punch at that:rolleyes: All in all, My head did not have a good weekend:o

KnoxX2
01-14-2009, 04:01 PM
If you wouldn't fall out of the front of the boat. You wouldn't have that problem

SkiDog
01-14-2009, 06:19 PM

At least by 2:00, i'll have had a few beers by then! Gonna need em to put up with all ya'll!
Damn, no smilies !!!!!!!!!!!!!

SkiDog
01-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Check that.. It was a sucker punch at that:rolleyes: All in all, My head did not have a good weekend:o

You talking about MM4 or CSM? You looked a lil worse for wear @ Mag!

JohnE
01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
You talking about MM4 or CSM? You looked a lil worse for wear @ Mag!

It's fuzzy, but I vaguely remember Monte getting cracked in the head at CSM.