PDA

View Full Version : Satilite Autotrac Steering on the John Deere

chudson
05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
I just wanted to share an experience I had during planting a couple of weeks ago. John Deere offers Autotrac (Satilite Guided Steering) on their tractors and I were asked to try it and I told him sure. So he put the Autotrac on which amounts to a satilite reciever mounted on top the cab of the tractor, a computer monitor mounted in the cab, and replaced the steering wheel with one that has a gearbox attached to steer the tractor. We went to the field to start planting and went to the side of the field I wanted to start on and got positioned to go through the field. We programed into the monitor our position in the field and the planter width and made a pass through the field planting then programed our position into the monitor where we were at the other end of the field. It was set, as I turned the tractor to make another pass I just swiped an electronic switch on the side if the steering wheel and the Autotrac took over. With no hands on the wheel the tractor steered itself back into position to make the next pass at the exact place it should be next to where I had just come through, I dropped the planter into the ground and made a perfectly straight pass back through the field to the other end. On the planter are marker arms that I extend out hydraulically from the tractor to make a mark in the field that I follow with each round I make and I never had to use them again. It was a very neat experience to plant the next four days and never had to steer except on the ends to turn and I was assured by the salesman that was being worked on too. A real neat experience over all and I just wondered how Autotrac Steering would be on a boat going through a slalom course?

This is me planting for a project for my church a couple of years ago!!!

djhuff
05-31-2007, 09:13 AM
It's amazing how GPS is changing our lives. There is a guy around here with a Hydroax (bush hog that has been on HGH for a decade) that has a screen in it that allows you to clear only what you are supposed to, without having a surveyor stake out the whole project. Just download the site plan autocad file, and it does the rest. You stillhave to steer, but it becomes like playing a video game.

Willski
05-31-2007, 09:59 AM
That is really cool chudson. I heard that was being done. My company is using similar technology on mining dump trucks. Driverless!! There are some running in Chile right now. They do amazingly well, even backing up under a mining shovel and dumping where they are asked to!

Datdude
05-31-2007, 02:27 PM
I was waiting to hear that things went horribly wrong. Sounds like a pretty sweet tool to have. What are they getting for something like that.....if you don't mind sharing?

chudson
05-31-2007, 03:49 PM
There are three options: I used the first one and checked several times and it was right on every time!

1. AutoTrac SF1
Tillage, Pull-Behind Sprayer, Air Seeding
+/- 13-in( 6.5" either side of the line)............$10,000 + $400.00 yearly Sat. linkup charge.

2. AutoTrac SF2
Planting, Self-Propelled Sprayer, Broad-Acre Harvesting
+/- 4-in( 2" either side of the line).............$14,000.00 + $400.00 yearly Sat. linkup charge.

3. AutoTrac RTK
Bedding, Strip Till, Drip Tape Irrigation
Repeatability Sub-Inch Repeatable
( Pretty much dead on accurate)............$17,000.00 + $400.00 yearly Sat. linkup charge.

Datdude
06-01-2007, 12:51 PM
There are three options: I used the first one and checked several times and it was right on every time!

1. AutoTrac SF1
Tillage, Pull-Behind Sprayer, Air Seeding
+/- 13-in( 6.5" either side of the line)............$10,000 + $400.00 yearly Sat. linkup charge.

2. AutoTrac SF2
Planting, Self-Propelled Sprayer, Broad-Acre Harvesting
+/- 4-in( 2" either side of the line).............$14,000.00 + $400.00 yearly Sat. linkup charge.

3. AutoTrac RTK
Bedding, Strip Till, Drip Tape Irrigation
Repeatability Sub-Inch Repeatable
( Pretty much dead on accurate)............$17,000.00 + $400.00 yearly Sat. linkup charge.

That is not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. Besides the "cool factor" is it worth it?

6ballsisall
06-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Is there a benefit other than the farmer can go to sleep on the tractor?

chudson
06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
That is not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. Besides the "cool factor" is it worth it?

No not for me, almost everything that it would work great for we hire done!

Is there a benefit other than the farmer can go to sleep on the tractor?

Accuracy more than anything in fertilizer spreading (no overlapping), chemical spraying (perfect overlap), and in planting perfectly straight year after year to minimize soil compaction. And trust me if you fall asleep with this you would probably be the one to fall asleep driving without it. But like I said before I wonder how Autotrac Steering would be on a boat going through a slalom course?

Datdude
06-01-2007, 04:57 PM
No not for me, almost everything that it would work great for we hire done!

Accuracy more than anything in fertilizer spreading (no overlapping), chemical spraying (perfect overlap), and in planting perfectly straight year after year to minimize soil compaction. And trust me if you fall asleep with this you would probably be the one to fall asleep driving without it. But like I said before I wonder how Autotrac Steering would be on a boat going through a slalom course?

when I was in the golf business about 5 years ago they were working on a similar system for the chemical sprayers, which I am sure are available now. Avoiding overlap with chemicals can be tough, even with foam markers and dye.

Stupid question......how does planting a perfectly straight row of crops minimize soil compaction? Is it because you are driving over exactly the same spot year after year?

chudson
06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
when I was in the golf business about 5 years ago they were working on a similar system for the chemical sprayers, which I am sure are available now. Avoiding overlap with chemicals can be tough, even with foam markers and dye.

Stupid question......how does planting a perfectly straight row of crops minimize soil compaction? Is it because you are driving over exactly the same spot year after year?

Yep Driving in the same spot through the field keeps compaction in the same area throuhout the field instead of all over .

Willski
06-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I think we need it on our boats to minimize water compaction.