PDA

View Full Version : maristar 240 hard to dock

dropfin
05-30-2007, 09:21 PM
just got a maristar 240 and noticed it is very hard to dock compared to other inboards i've owned/driven... has anyone else had this problem? ]

JKTX21
05-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Plenty of people have had problems trying to dock their inboards. The trick is to use the right-ward pull the boat has, while in reverse. The reason your boat will pull to the right while in reverse is because of the rotation of the prop.

I am def. not a precision backer in my boat, but I can dock it with ease. I usually pull up to the dock at about a 45 degree angle with the starboard side facing the dock. As I get closer, I apply reverse until the back of the boat swings towards the dock. May be a little different in your bigger boat...

88 PS190
05-30-2007, 10:33 PM
yep controlling momentum and using it is key.

I approach so I can get the back swinging, and reverse it over.

never ever set up to back left.

Matt L.
05-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Bow Rider or SC???

I've had a 240SC for 6 years and love it. You have to get used to the slow speed maneuvering of a true inboard boat. In reverse you won't get much direction control just back and right. That also causes the bow to swing left a bit. Go out in the open and practice dock approaches. I've gotten to where I can pivot mine in place using careful forward and reverse throttle and rudder play.

If I can, I like to approach docks moving left to right while playing throttle and rudder to even out the approach. I like to be sliding slowly and very slightly nose first at the dock. As I close in I use the reverse to pull the rear of the boat to the dock. That brings the boat to a perfect parallel position relative to the dock and I'm virtually motionless.

I hope that helps a bit. It is kind of hard to describe.

Pics????

Later,

Matt