PDA

View Full Version : 1984 stars and stripes... a little dull

Kaser
05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
My dad has owned this boat since before I was born, *i was born in 87* and it has pulled me, and all of my friends through anything we could dish at it, and it always wins...

this last week was the first time I have ever really looked at the boat, and it's conditions and notice they weren't that great.

the red seems to be really faded on the top of the boat, as well as on the back.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6031/peeectures003bu0.jpg
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6858/peeectures002au4.jpg

as you can see, where the star's corner is peeled off the true red shines through.

so while my dad is living out in las vegas, I want to restore the boat as much as i can while he's gone so when he comes back, he'll be suprised.

will a simple buffer + wax do the trick here? or is there more involved in bringing out the red again?

DemolitionMan
05-30-2007, 08:25 PM
What Im going to tell you is a tempory fix. Take pledge and spray it on the boat and rub it in. It will last about a month.

DemolitionMan
05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
On that teak deck sand it down and put some teak oil on it or some minwax polyurethane.

Kaser
05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Just use a normal polishing cloth with pledge??

shepherd
05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
A buffer and some rubbing compound, followed by a good wax, should probably help. Make sure you use a high speed circular buffer, not one of those orbital ones. And don't waste your time trying to hand buff it. For the platform, you shouldn't have to sand. Just use one of those 3-step (cleaner, brightener, and oil) teak products they sell at Boater's World, West Marine, etc.

You should be able to do all this in one weekend. You - and your dad - will probably be amazed at the results. Please post pics of the finished product.

And good luck.

DemolitionMan
05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Yes thats fine. If you need any help just let me know.

Kaser
05-30-2007, 08:40 PM
What exactly is "rubbing compound"

I got the wax part down pat. My dad owns a 88 convertable corvette and i polish that boy up for him all the time before he goes out on dates. ;)

My blazer is due for a wax job as well... but that'll wait till after the boats done.

is this a good kit?
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176130243.htm?bct=t13046503%3Bcimaintenance-boat%3Bciteak-wood%3Bciteak-oil-cleaners

TMCNo1
05-30-2007, 08:45 PM
What exactly is "rubbing compound"I got the wax part down pat. My dad owns a 88 convertable corvette and i polish that boy up for him all the time before he goes out on dates. ;)

My blazer is due for a wax job as well... but that'll wait till after the boats done.

is this a good kit?
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/176130243.htm?bct=t13046503%3Bcimaintenance-boat%3Bciteak-wood%3Bciteak-oil-cleaners

My wife just read this and she said, it was something you use during foreplay!:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Kaser
05-30-2007, 08:47 PM
hahaha... so whats rubbing compound in not so much of a sexual way, but more in a polishing your boat way.... ?? :P

TMCNo1
05-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Rubbing compound, polishing compound, cutting compound, etc is used to polish out the sanding marks on most finishes after it has been wet sanded with 600 up to and including 2000 MicroFine sandpaper. Then it's usually glazed (like Meguiar's #H-7 Seal and Reseal glaze) to remove buffer swirls, then waxed.

Kaser
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Yikes. Gotta delay it a little bit. My dad *just* called me and told me in an hour I have to drive to southbend and pick him up from the airport...

good thing i didn't start prettyin up the boat yesterday i would have been caught red handed. :P

so anyway, this will allow me to plan out exactly what i need to do, buy everything and then knock it all out in one weekend. so maybe it's better.

Anybody have an opinion on that kit that I posted earlier?? for the decK?

TMCNo1
05-31-2007, 12:11 PM
Yikes. Gotta delay it a little bit. My dad *just* called me and told me in an hour I have to drive to southbend and pick him up from the airport...

good thing i didn't start prettyin up the boat yesterday i would have been caught red handed. :P

so anyway, this will allow me to plan out exactly what i need to do, buy everything and then knock it all out in one weekend. so maybe it's better.

Anybody have an opinion on that kit that I posted earlier?? for the decK?

Use the teak kit you posted!

Kaser
05-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Does anybody have any idea where to buy a new stars and stripes decal set??? I'm going to do those too. :)

TMCNo1
05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Does anybody have any idea where to buy a new stars and stripes decal set??? I'm going to do those too. :)

Try the "Advanced Search" feature and there are many resorces in those threads.

Monte
05-31-2007, 04:51 PM

Erkholer has the ability to make em;)

Kaser
05-31-2007, 07:17 PM
Erkholer has the ability to make em;)
Who is erkholer ? :P

Will check out the search.

6ballsisall
05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Who is erkholer ? :P

Will check out the search.

It won't take long to find him. erkoehler

Just make a post saying you want to buy a boat. He'll be there before you know it. ;)

TMCNo1
05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
It won't take long to find him. erkoehler
Just make a post saying you want to buy a boat. He'll be there before you know it. ;)

Go to members list, find it in the "E's" click on his name, click on member profile, click on Private Message and pm him with your questions about what you need.

Kaser
06-02-2007, 03:26 PM
got the prices that I wanted. :) thanks guys.