PDA

View Full Version : What oil filter for a MCX engine?

wgwollet
05-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I just changed the oil on my MCX engine and notice a "Quicksilver" oil filter the dealer installed. I like AC Delco filters and went to Auto Zone and they have a list of AC's for the Chevy 350.

I guy told me to use the PF1218 (115mm) becasue it is extra large over the other ones.

Is this OK? In theroy is a bigger filter better? Will it use more oil in the over all crackcase like 5 1/2 quarts? Will it screw up the engine pressure? Its the MCX 5 quarts with filter?

Also, I used the Shell "Rotella" 15W40 motor oil.

The Quicksilver was 1/2 the length of the PF1218?

Thanks for reply....

Bill

wgwollet
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
http://198.208.187.182/internet/VehicleNonAutoPartDescription.jsp

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 05:06 PM
NAPA Gold 1069 from what I've read on here will work.

trickskier
05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I use the Mobil 1: M1-302................I have an 06 MCX......Manual says 6 quarts.

JimN
05-30-2007, 06:06 PM
I'm one of the ones who recommends the PF-1218. I use it on my truck and it was recommended to my by a friend who worked for GM at the Desert Proving Grounds, in V8 powertrain development. He has his own shop now- even has a radio show about car maintenance.

wgwollet
05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks JimN and others....I see no problem with bigger oil filters and I like the AC Delco on a GM small block....so I will continue to use the PF1218

trickskier
05-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks JimN and others....I see no problem with bigger oil filters and I like the AC Delco on a GM small block....so I will continue to use the PF1218
I'll tell you why I like the Mobil 1 Oil Filters over all of the others...........My wifes old Suburban started getting coolant in the oil. When the new long life RED anitfreeze mixes with synthetic oil it turns into a gel and clogs the oil filter causing it to go into by-pass mode. When this happens the engine is running on unfiltered oil. I could tell when this would happen because the oil pressure would drop about 15-20 pounds.

The AC Delco Filters would last about a week before they were clogged and went into by-pass while the Mobil 1 Filters would last at least 2 weeks.........I had to keep changing the oil filter until her new Suburban came in.............I firmly believe the Mobil 1 Oil Filters helped that engine last until her new truck arrived......

I am NOT saying that the other oil filters are bad.............I'm just convinced that the Mobil 1's are BETTER...........

wgwollet
05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Wow.......great story.....my friend also likes Mobil 1 filters. Do you use the long version for your 350 motor or short.......also do you like the Mobil 1 synathic for the boat?

trickskier
05-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Wow.......great story.....my friend also likes Mobil 1 filters. Do you use the long version for your 350 motor or short.......also do you like the Mobil 1 synathic for the boat?
I use the M1-302 which is the long version & the M1-111 is the short version if there isn't enough clearence........I use synthetic oil in everything I own except my boat........From what I have read and learned on this forum, using synthetic oil is a waste of money when you have to replace it every 50 hours...........I have talked to directly to Indmar and their recommendation was to stay with conventional oil........They did say I could switch to synthetic if I felt the need, but again said the oil & filter needed to be changed every 50 hours.......

wgwollet
05-31-2007, 07:40 PM
OK makes sense to me. Ya, I just put the long AC on but from now on I will use a Mobil 1 long M1-302. I notced here they are $9.95 and the AC is $4.95. I too think the conventional oil is OK I use Shell Rotella 15W40 because its CH-4 and SJ rated per MC requirements. I love working on my boat and cars, plus you know its done right and it saves ya money. My word, these boats and cars cost alot of dough and I want everything right.

I am new to MC, now I must dig deeper and start changing trans fluid and other maintenece required. I downloaded the manual for my Maristar 230 and using it.

trickskier
05-31-2007, 10:15 PM
OK makes sense to me. Ya, I just put the long AC on but from now on I will use a Mobil 1 long M1-302. I notced here they are $9.95 and the AC is $4.95. I too think the conventional oil is OK I use Shell Rotella 15W40 because its CH-4 and SJ rated per MC requirements. I love working on my boat and cars, plus you know its done right and it saves ya money. My word, these boats and cars cost alot of dough and I want everything right.

I am new to MC, now I must dig deeper and start changing trans fluid and other maintenece required. I downloaded the manual for my Maristar 230 and using it.
You're on the right track.............Shell Rotella 15W40 & a Mobil-1 oil filter every 50 hours & you'll be fine..........Don't forget the gas filter, water impeller, spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor annually as well..... Have a safe summer!!! :D