PDA

View Full Version : **Oil Filter STUCK!!!**

Sodar
05-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I went to change the oil yesterday evening and all went great, except my filter. I initially used my filter wrench, but the thing did not budge and I ended up just crushing the thing. So, I resorted to good old fashioned, shade tree mechanics and decided to get a long, big screwdriver and drive it through the filter and use that as a lever to get it off, well now I am left with a mutilated oil filter that I can not get off the d@mn motor. Now, what the heck do I do?

PLEASE HELP.... Vacation in 2 days and I can not get my oil filter out!!

**Side note, Why do they put them on so tight? On my old boat, I never even used the wrench to put the filter on, just twisted it on by hand and I never had a leak.**

JKTX21
05-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Damn that sucks. Have you tried a large pair of channel locks or vice grip? Send it back to Chicago and let them deal with it!

Chief
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I went to change the oil yesterday evening and all went great, except my filter. I initially used my filter wrench, but the thing did not budge and I ended up just crushing the thing. So, I resorted to good old fashioned, shade tree mechanics and decided to get a long, big screwdriver and drive it through the filter and use that as a lever to get it off, well now I am left with a mutilated oil filter that I can not get off the d@mn motor. Now, what the heck do I do?

PLEASE HELP.... Vacation in 2 days and I can not get my oil filter out!!

**Side note, Why do they put them on so tight? On my old boat, I never even used the wrench to put the filter on, just twisted it on by hand and I never had a leak.**

How close to the top of the oil filter can you get with the wrench? The top is less likley to crush since that where the steel plate is. Wrap the oil filter in some 180 grit sandpaper and put the oil filter wrench (Band Type?) at the top as far as possible and try and get a good bite on it. The sand paper will help with the grip.

The oil filter should only be hand 3/4 of a turn past hand tight.

Good luck

PendO
05-30-2007, 02:06 PM
crap Cameron ... how much oil did you spill into the bilge area?

bigmac
05-30-2007, 02:07 PM
..... long, big screwdriver and drive it through the filter and use that as a lever to get it off, well now I am left with a mutilated oil filter that I can not get off the d@mn motor. Now, what the heck do I do?

Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

But seriously folks, it's always best to put a strap-type filter wrench as high up on the filter close to the screw-on end as possible where the can is best supported and least crushable.

At this point, you're gonna need a big Channel-Lock, or better yet, a Vise Grip either of which has a big enough jaw opening to grab the rim you have left. Pipe wrench might also work. If that still doesn't get it off.... last time I had this happen I used an air chisel with the chisel point right on the rim (special care required here) and gave the trigger a couple of quick squeezes. Spun right off then.

You're right, oil filter gets spun down by hand only, about 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn after the gasket hits the flange. Too tight actually crushes the gasket making too tight more prone to leakage than too loose.

dmayer84
05-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Can you get a strap wrench around it at all?

kjohnson
You might try using a wide leather belt, it worked for me before.

chudson
First I was gonna suggest a chisel at the top of the filter were it seats then I did a search and this looks like it could work.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-FILTER-WRENCH-85m-m-up-to-115m-m-1602_W0QQitemZ170071276125QQcmdZViewItem

trickskier
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Cameron, if you can, take a chisel and carefully tap around the lip of the filter and see if that will break it loose.

Sodar
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Damn that sucks. Have you tried a large pair of channel locks or vice grip? Send it back to Chicago and let them deal with it!

Great idea, but too tight to get anything like that up there.

Send it back to Chi-Town... ERIC!!!! :D :D :D

How close to the top of the oil filter can you get with the wrench? The top is less likley to crush since that where the steel plate is. Wrap the oil filter in some 180 grit sandpaper and put the oil filter wrench (Band Type?) at the top as far as possible and try and get a good bite on it. The sand paper will help with the grip.

Good luck

I will try that tonight. I think I can get the wrench just about right up to the top of the filter, hopefully with the aid of a little sandpaper, it will come off.

Thanks!

Sodar
05-30-2007, 02:13 PM
crap Cameron ... how much oil did you spill into the bilge area?

I use a garbage bag around the filter, so my bilge is still oil free!! ;)

tex
05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I've been through this before. Twice I've had to use the screw driver trick.

Sodar
05-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Cameron, if you can, take a chisel and carefully tap around the lip of the filter and see if that will break it loose.

I was thinking the same thing Rick... I will just have to screw with it some more tonight. I tried to do a quick job last night after work, before going out, but it did not go as planned! On my old boat I could change the oil, tranny fluid, clean the air filter and get everything put away in 30 minutes... last night, all I did was drain the oil and spent 45 minutes trying to get the filter off!!!

Ryan
05-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

...I used an air chisel with the chisel point right on the rim (special care required here) and gave the trigger a couple of quick squeezes. Spun right off then.

Geez Cam! This sucks!

I like bigmac's idea. And if you don't have an air chisel, try a regual chisel and a hammer at an angle to get it movin'. If that doesn't work you could cut the cap wide open then go for the nut/threading in the head of the filter.

JKTX21
ISo, I resorted to good old fashioned, shade tree mechanics and decided to get a long, big screwdriver and drive it through the filter and use that as a lever to get it off, well now I am left with a mutilated oil filter that I can not get off the

Dang Tex, are you taking painkillers or martinis today?! :D

TMCNo1

Good luck

WOW, STOP, TOO TIGHT!
I read on the filter box sitting in front of me, 3/4 -1 turn after gasket contact with base!

Ryan
05-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Did Mike say he wouldn't let that boat in the shop or something?

Sodar
05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Did Mike say he wouldn't let that boat in the shop or something?

No, not at all, I just do not have time to drag it out and pick it up before I leave for Naci tomorrow night.

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Just a thought based on my experience with a spin-on fuel filter that for some reason just would not budge.

Find a nice quiet spot, lay down, and look up at the sky. Then imagine (as if you were looking up at the filter from the bottom) which way the filter should turn to loosen it.

Go back and try to turn the filter that direction.

Yeah, I know it sounds stupid. Just imagine how dumb I felt.

Sodar
05-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Just a thought based on my experience with a spin-on fuel filter that for some reason just would not budge.

Find a nice quiet spot, lay down, and look up at the sky. Then imagine (as if you were looking up at the filter from the bottom) which way the filter should turn to loosen it.

Go back and try to turn the filter that direction.

Yeah, I know it sounds stupid. Just imagine how dumb I felt.

LOL!! Did that last night... :o Funny how you second guess yourself when you are humping the motor!!

tex
05-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Dang Tex, are you taking painkillers or martinis today?! :D
Red wine with pesto.

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 02:27 PM
LOL!! Did that last night... :o Funny how you second guess yourself when you are humping the motor!!

Well, it was worth a shot. In my case, it was the answer. The time before, I hadn't thought to do that and just took it to the Shell station down the street and let them get it off. Cost about $10.

beef
05-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Had this happen once. Dealer musta put the thing on with a filter wrench. It was tight! Went to do an oil change & went throught the "crush the filter with a strap whench", followed by the "screwdriver through the filter", followed by the "rip everything off but the threaded ring at the top".

I finally got mine off after a trip to the auto parts store. Got a pair of curved needle-nose type pliers (I think they were for split rings). Took the ends of the jaws and stuck them through two of the opposite holes in the top of the filter - where the oil flows through. Put a screwdriver in between the two jaws to apply some torque. Took a LOT of pressure to convince it to move, but I did get it off and I now have a completely useless set of split ring pliers. Never had a dealer oil change again.

I hope this helps.

Monte
05-30-2007, 02:32 PM
May be a less than educated answer, but is there any way to apply a little heat to the filter, to expand the threads? not sure how to heat it.. without burning or blowing stuff up, but just a suggestion..

I like ETS's Shell answer better...

Chief
05-30-2007, 02:36 PM
WOW, STOP, TOO TIGHT!
I read on the filter box sitting in front of me, 3/4 -1 turn after gasket contact with base!

Yepper, your right.

Rockman
05-30-2007, 02:38 PM

Ya, I'm sure they had to change the oil when they got the boat from TN. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Yepper, your right.

Mine goes on 1/4 turn past hand tight. Easy off in the fall. No leaks.

trickskier
05-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Mine goes on 1/4 turn past hand tight. Easy off in the fall. No leaks.
I've always done the 3/4 turn, which is about as tight as I can tighten it by hand..........Never had vibration back it off???

Ryan
05-30-2007, 02:49 PM
You know, if it's not too torn up try using something broad and flat like a really wide chisel in the same manner as your shade-tree screw driver. You can always pick up a 3" piece of steel at Home Depot or OSH too.

jkski
05-30-2007, 02:51 PM
I think you guys have covered everything in terms of how to get the filter off, but here is a thought for a way to avoid spilling oil into the bilge when removing your filter.
Take a empty antifreeze container and cut out the one side (basically, cut out the label side, leaving the sides). This will fit nicely into your bilge, under the oil filter and will act as a drip pan, which is easily removed once the job is done...no mess!!!

Ric
05-30-2007, 03:02 PM
cameron, you shoulda just paid the $128 for the oil change and be done with it. I hope you learned your lesson.

Sodar
05-30-2007, 03:04 PM
cameron, you shoulda just paid the $128 for the oil change and be done with it. I hope you learned your lesson.

$128, plus 140 mile round trip, which is about $60 in gas... makes it a $200 oil change! I think I will stick to doing it myself for ~$30, with the nice K&N oil filter! :D

MIMC
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Sodar, same thing happened to me last fall! Talk about 4 letter words I have not used in a looong time! I took some hockey stick tape and wrapped it around my old styled oil wrench to get grip. Prior to applying the wrench I cleaned the filter w/ carb cleaner to get all the oil off. Walked the wrench up the filter to the top and cranked real hard, finally came off. Everyone has posted all the ideas I have heard of before - good luck!

Ric
05-30-2007, 03:08 PM
$128, plus 140 mile round trip, which is about $60 in gas... makes it a $200 oil change! I think I will stick to doing it myself for ~$30, with the nice K&N oil filter! :D you'd be skiing right now. Pay your money to the boat Gods and return to lockstep now.

JKTX21
05-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Ya, I'm sure they had to change the oil when they got the boat from TN. :rolleyes:

Ow, burn....

Ryan
05-30-2007, 03:12 PM
LOL!! when you are humping the motor!!

Well guys, what do you think? Does Cameron love that new boat or what? ;)

Sodar
05-30-2007, 03:13 PM
you'd be skiing right now. Pay your money to the boat Gods and return to lockstep now.

Ric, your VooDoo, superstitious attitude aint workin' on me!! What, are you a dealership lobbyist? I like to think that the dealer only likes to handle the BIG problems and would prefer for us to do routine maintenance ourselves... :rolleyes: That is what I would LIKE to think!!!

Ric
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I like to think that the dealer only likes to handle the BIG problems and would prefer for us to do routine maintenance ourselves... :rolleyes: That is what I would LIKE to think!!! current oil change pricing suggests that you are correct!

Sodar
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Well guys, what do you think? Does Cameron love that new boat or what? ;)

I catch your sarcasism, but on another note... I do LOVE the boat. I was so impressed with it this weekend, made all my eeby-geebies about buying a new boat go away. MC did a really nice job and I think every gripe I had with my '96 is corrected.

03 35th Anniversary
05-30-2007, 03:17 PM
you'd be skiing right now. Pay your money to the boat Gods and return to lockstep now.

Boat Gods & Uncle Sam, Are they related.....:confused:

Ryan
05-30-2007, 03:19 PM
I catch your sarcasism, but on another note... I do LOVE the boat. I was so impressed with it this weekend, made all my eeby-geebies about buying a new boat go away. MC did a really nice job and I think every gripe I had with my '96 is corrected.

Glad to hear it! I sure wish you'd bought that boat a couple months earlier...before I moved. :D
I subscribe to the notion of letting the dealer do the big work too, like droping in a new block or replacing a tranny.

I've got shipping story to tell ya.

Did your family wind up keeping the lake house?

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Funny how you second guess yourself when you are humping the motor!!
Is this the BB thread.....nevermind....:o

Now, when you said Erk and I could take it out for its break-in before you arrived, I swear you said make sure the oil filter is tight...So we just did one better and thread locked it on...Was that a bad idea....:rolleyes: 8p

Sodar
05-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Is this the BB thread.....nevermind....:o

Now, when you said Erk and I could take it out for its break-in before you arrived, I swear you said make sure the oil filter is tight...So we just did one better and thread locked it on...Was that a bad idea....:rolleyes: 8p

Thanks for tightening her down... I appreciate it! Nothing like WFT looking out for me!!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for tightening her down... I appreciate it! Nothing like WFT looking out for me!!
We never would have guessed you'd do the work yourself...:rolleyes:

trickskier
05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
On my old boat I could change the oil, tranny fluid, clean the air filter and get everything put away in 30 minutes...
How do you drain the oil so fast??? Using the hose attached to the bottom of the oil pan, it takes all night to drain mine.........:confused:

Sodar
05-30-2007, 04:32 PM
How do you drian the oil so fast??? Using the hose attached to the bottom of the oil pan, it takes all night to drian mine.........:confused:

I run the boat and get her up to running temp, then I attach this to my drain hose and it sucks 5 quarts out in about 2 minutes...
http://images.outdoorinteractive.net/mgen/259057_d.jpg

trickskier
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
I run the boat and get her up to running temp, then I attach this to my drain hose and it sucks 5 quarts out in about 2 minutes...
http://images.outdoorinteractive.net/mgen/259057_d.jpg
Roger That...........:D

JimN
05-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Sodar- some people think there's a contest to see who can get it on tighter.

If you can get your hands under the filter and the element and can are gone, bend the sheet metal away, so you don't shred your hands and stick the tips of a needle nose pliers into two of the holes, preferably opposite each other, since two adjacent holes makes it require more force. Once the tips are seated as deep as you can get them, use an adjustable wrench or Channel Lock to turn the pliers, holding the pliers up with your other hand. Set the jaws so they're bearing on the hinge pin of the needle nose, which is the widest surface. If you can't get the wrench in there, try a Channel Lock, since it usually has more offset.

Chief
05-31-2007, 06:12 AM
Did you get the filter off?

chudson
05-31-2007, 07:48 AM

Ditto!!!
:popcorn: :popcorn:

92 190 PS
05-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Sodar- some people think there's a contest to see who can get it on tighter.

If you can get your hands under the filter and the element and can are gone, bend the sheet metal away, so you don't shred your hands and stick the tips of a needle nose pliers into two of the holes, preferably opposite each other, since two adjacent holes makes it require more force. Once the tips are seated as deep as you can get them, use an adjustable wrench or Channel Lock to turn the pliers, holding the pliers up with your other hand. Set the jaws so they're bearing on the hinge pin of the needle nose, which is the widest surface. If you can't get the wrench in there, try a Channel Lock, since it usually has more offset.

Brother has a 2005 X-9 and we had to build a tool to get his off. We took a bar of aluminum and put two screws through holes in the bar the same distance apart as as the holes in the filter opposite eachother(once we bent the sheet metal away). Worked like a champ and he was on his way out of town...If I can get a hold of him this AM I'll post a picture of the tool....We kept it since it was such a memorable expierence....

JimN
05-31-2007, 08:11 AM
That's great if there's clearance. When I had to use needle nose and Channel Lock, it was on a Bu with the filter about 3" lower than the floor, about 3" of space to get my hands through and no wiggle room at all. The reason I had such a wonderful oil changing experience is that the boat owner hadn't changed the oil in 3 years. It looked like tar and took three oil changes to finally get all of the garbage out.

No, it wasn't done for the normal charge, either.

92 190 PS
05-31-2007, 08:32 AM
In the end I think he'd spent the better part of a 12 hour day trying to get the filter off his boat.

Ric
05-31-2007, 08:40 AM
I see a pattern here. Note to all new indmar owners.... Pay the friggin money for the dealer to do the first oil change. When you break down the hourly rate, you win! :rolleyes:

I bet if I'd tackled my first oil change I'd be wayyy more bent than sodar is right now :rant: instead I was bent about the charge for the oil change? I feel better now knowing I didn't go through this!

92 190 PS
05-31-2007, 08:46 AM
I see a pattern here. Note to all new indmar owners.... Pay the friggin money for the dealer to do the first oil change. When you break down the hourly rate, you win! :rolleyes:

I bet if I'd tackled my first oil change I'd be wayyy more bent than sodar is right now :rant: instead I was bent about the charge for the oil change? I feel better now knowing I didn't go through this!

So.........Either the dealership over tightened it when they replaced it.....OR and what we think is more likely is that when the dealership claimed to change the oil and filter they hadn't touched it....:eek3: :rant:

JimN
05-31-2007, 09:08 AM
92- How did he feel the next day, after spending 12 hours on an oil change?

I would guess that the gasket was never lubricated and that's why it stuck. Along with the "overtightening contest", it's a killer combo.

Who is the dealer that didn't change the filter? They need to be held responsible.

One easy way to make sure the filter is or has been changed is to write the date and hours of use at the time of service on it with a permanent magical marker. If the last filter was blue and the new one is white, it was changed. If you know they don't sell blue filters and you get the boat back with a blue one, you know something is up.

milkmania
05-31-2007, 09:31 AM
you guys got me thinking........

why is there not something on the market that looks like the 4 wheel drive locking nut tool that's got pins that'll go into the filter.....

there could be a couple of side holes drilled into the tool, to slip in a screwdriver, also leaving the socket drive there

I could market it, and call it "Last Resort"

Ric
05-31-2007, 09:34 AM
So.........Either the dealership over tightened it when they replaced it.....OR and what we think is more likely is that when the dealership claimed to change the oil and filter they hadn't touched it....:eek3: :rant: in sodarski's case, the boat changed climate zones and it damaged all his gaskets and seals. The first sign is the oil filter, but there will be more. There always is.

JimN
05-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Milk- what happens with a Fram filter, which usually has five holes?

Something like a wheel puller might be a good thing if the span can be adjusted. I tried a spanner on the 3 year old filter and it didn't fit, work or come close.

I like the idea of a tool for torn up filters but I haven't needed one that many times. A heavier can would be nice. That way, it doesn't crumple in your hand like tin foil.

milkmania
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Milk- what happens with a Fram filter, which usually has five holes?

I'd take care of it in the research & development department8p

just have to check out all the filter manufacturers and see what's out there....

then I could sell a billion of them, I tell ya!:woohoo:

Sodar
05-31-2007, 10:03 AM

I am getting closer. I worked on it for a little while last night, but was unexpectedly interupted and had to take care of some things. I did get all the sheet metal of the filter ripped away, so now al I have is the top threaded part of the filter. I was thinking of doing the same thing as 92 190 PS. I tried the chisel idea, but there is just no room to get a good swing, or an air chisel.

Ric, I gladly would have had the dealer change the oil and avoid the issue, but time did not allow. I got home at 10pm Monday from the river. I work 5am-6pm daily and I am leaving tonight for Lake Nacimiento. My dealer is ~1.5 hours away... taking it in was just not an option! :o

Leroy
05-31-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm surprised you could not put the strap or belt around the filter where the threads are. Quote "it has to loosen then"!

Have you put this many hours on it already?

Sodar
05-31-2007, 11:01 AM
I have 9.5 hours on it, so I figured I had better change it before I put another 3 or 4 this weekend

Ric
05-31-2007, 11:18 AM
park the boat in a cooler to represent a cold midwester climate for 12 hours and then the oil filter should be easily removed

chudson
05-31-2007, 11:22 AM
I have an old 88 Gimmy beater pickup with a 350 and where the oil filter screws on is bolted onto the motor so I could remove the mounting bracket and the filter too. Is that possible?:twocents:

trickskier
05-31-2007, 11:28 AM
I am getting closer. I worked on it for a little while last night, but was unexpectedly interupted and had to take care of some things.
Now what could be more important than getting that oil filter off???............OH YES, THAT!!! ;)

Sodar
05-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Now what could be more important than getting that oil filter off???............OH YES, THAT!!! ;)

I wish! You do not even know the least of it Rick! I am beginning to wonder how I am going to keep a boat and a girl. Both require too much time, money and energy.... I think I might need to get rid of the girl! :(

trickskier
05-31-2007, 11:38 AM
I wish! You do not even know the least of it Rick! I am beginning to wonder how I am going to keep a boat and a girl. Both require too much time, money and energy.... I think I might need to get rid of the girl! :(
LOL...............Decisions, Decisions.............;)

92 190 PS
05-31-2007, 11:45 AM
92- How did he feel the next day, after spending 12 hours on an oil change?

I would guess that the gasket was never lubricated and that's why it stuck. Along with the "overtightening contest", it's a killer combo.

Who is the dealer that didn't change the filter? They need to be held responsible.

One easy way to make sure the filter is or has been changed is to write the date and hours of use at the time of service on it with a permanent magical marker. If the last filter was blue and the new one is white, it was changed. If you know they don't sell blue filters and you get the boat back with a blue one, you know something is up.

I won't name the dealer, but you can guess based on the my location. My brother did go back to the dealership, but it was all after the fact because he was headed out of town on vacation when we did it. It wasn't the first dissapointment he'd had or the last with the dealership....

pram
05-31-2007, 11:47 AM

I vote keep the boat, you can have weekend girlfriends (if you know what I mean), as long as you have that sweet looking boat8p

Maristar210
05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Betsy could get it off.

I know she could :D

Rockman
05-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Sodar,

Didn't the dealer tell you that on the new motor, you don't have to change the oil filter!? :rolleyes: It should last forever!

Anyways, hope everything works out for you and you get to enjoy the boat on vacation.

Footin
05-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I had the same thing happen on a Mercuiser engine when it was new.
I ended up useing a chisel and hammer to spin off the base.

Sodar
05-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Sodar,

Didn't the dealer tell you that on the new motor, you don't have to change the oil filter!? :rolleyes: It should last forever!

Anyways, hope everything works out for you and you get to enjoy the boat on vacation.

NO!!! That damn dealer!!! ;) 8p :D That one bote salesman with the frozen chicken business on the side failed to tell me that filter was a lifetime filter!!!!

erkoehler
05-31-2007, 01:46 PM
NO!!! That damn dealer!!! ;) 8p :D That one bote salesman with the frozen chicken business on the side failed to tell me that filter was a lifetime filter!!!!

Its definetly not lifetime!

Rockman
05-31-2007, 01:47 PM
NO!!! That damn dealer!!! That one bote salesman with the frozen chicken business on the side failed to tell me that filter was a lifetime filter!!!!

Why would you change your filter every time you change your oil? Those things are expensive...sometimes even $10 bucks!. :rolleyes:

Hell no, I just rinse them out and screw them on as tight as I can. That way, no one can steal them. :uglyhamme

All you really need to do is put in gas and go. No maintenance required on thoze nu botes. :D

Workin' 4 Toys
05-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Sodar, did you remove the 1/4 20 set screw we put into the side of the filter before you tried to turn it? I forgot to mention that, we put that there so it wouldn't fall off in case the threadloc failed....8p

east tx skier
05-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Come on Cameron, just unscrew the damned thing!

Sodar
05-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Come on Cameron, just unscrew the damned thing!

I am trying, I am trying! Look at my damn hands, they look like I got in a fight with a razor blade!!

Kaser
05-31-2007, 04:47 PM
can you run an extension chored out to your boat and plug in a hair dryer and kinda heat it up for a few minutes while tapping it with a screw driver...

it's like the old "opening the jelly" trick, tap the sides of the top with the edge of your spoona nd it'll open on up. :P

i know what you're going through. I had an oil filter get stuck on my car once and.. well.. yeah 20+ hours, i had to go get my next door nieghboor who's a HUGE strong football guy lol and he twisted it right off *he's also pushed my old explorer out of a snow bank. it was stuck ON it, and he just pushed it off.. *

have any big guys around you? their strength helps alot :0

Rockman
05-31-2007, 05:45 PM
The new oil filters are all left handed threads...I am serious.

Well, ok, maybe not but it was a shot!:D Any updates???

Sodar
05-31-2007, 05:52 PM
The new oil filters are all left handed threads...I am serious.

Well, ok, maybe not but it was a shot!:D Any updates???

I will have it off in about 3 hours, when I get home from work. I had one of the guys on-site build me a tool, much like 92 190 PS's tool. We will see what happens!!

Kaser
05-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Talk about an unfair advantage. Having guys on-site build you tools :P lucky dog!!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
I am trying, I am trying! Look at my damn hands, they look like I got in a fight with a razor blade!!
And that was just from removing an oil filter......I hope you will give up and subcontract all of your work from now on....8p

Sodar
05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
It is off!!!!

Sodar
05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
She is mutilated, but finally off!!

trickskier
05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
Son of a Gun Cameron................Now, finish that oil change, get to the lake, & take some PICS!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Uhoh...I see the problem. It was tightened too much.8p

tex
05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
[ .......................................double

tex
05-31-2007, 10:13 PM
That's a filter off an 1976 SN! No wonder it was so hard to get off!

JimN
05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Not too tight, it was just too hard to loosen.

Farmer Ted
05-31-2007, 11:02 PM

Dude,

you should switch hands once and awhile......

JimN
05-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Sodar- Quit whining, ya big baby! You should have seen my left index finger when it got in a fight with a brand, spanking new tongue & groove router bit.

Have you seen those mechanic's gloves? You can buy them at most auto parts stores.

88 PS190
06-01-2007, 12:23 AM
always buy a slip over the end type filter wrench and a decent breaker bar if you find one of these stuck.

NEVER put a screwdriver into one, the metal is not that strong.

88 PS190
06-01-2007, 12:27 AM
http://www.mgcycle.com/17030C.JPG

this is the tool.

Known as an oil filter socket.

Anytime I have a filter stuck (often happens after a quik oil change spot throws one on w/o lubing the seal, and then grunts it on with a wrench.) I end up going out and buying one of these for a few bucks.

And presto chango... removed oil filter w/o popping holes cutting hands or making gooey oil messes.

88 PS190
06-01-2007, 12:29 AM
forgot to add, smooth steady pressure not jerky you want to build up till it lets go not hammer away or you'll distort the filter and end up doing what you did with a spanner and some pins. not a pretty solution.

Sure hope you put oil on the new seal.

captain planet
06-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Sodar, now what you do is you put the base of that oil filter into a box with all the other pieces of it and mail it back to indmar. ;)

I didn't want to say this earlier due to your frustration, but I'm glad someone else had trouble getting the oil filter off for the first oil change. I thought maybe I was the only one since this is the first thread I have seen about this. I was at wits end with mine the first time. I think everyone in the neighboorhood knew I was mad :o

trickskier
06-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey CP...............It's all in the wrist action...........Didn't you take Changing Oil 101 at Ohio St.??? :D

Sodar
06-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Sodar, now what you do is you put the base of that oil filter into a box with all the other pieces of it and mail it back to indmar. ;)

I didn't want to say this earlier due to your frustration, but I'm glad someone else had trouble getting the oil filter off for the first oil change. I thought maybe I was the only one since this is the first thread I have seen about this. I was at wits end with mine the first time. I think everyone in the neighboorhood knew I was mad :o

HA HA HA HA!! I am sure Indmar would LOVE that!!

I agree about the witz end.... sooo frustrating!!

Funny about the neighbor thing though!! I went to three neighbors for help, but none of them knew crap!!

pram
06-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear that you got it off.Need to make note to self that if it doesn't come off build tool to remove right away.

Doug G
06-01-2007, 10:51 AM
So Cameron have you ever been congratulated so much for getting it off in the past ?;)

Sodar
06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
So Cameron have you ever been congratulated so much for getting it off in the past ?;)

Not for getting "it" off, but maybe getting "her" off!! :D ;) :D

captain planet
06-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey CP...............It's all in the wrist action...........Didn't you take Changing Oil 101 at Ohio St.??? :D
Tricky, .....I was going to make some remark about the wrist action comment, but what's the point?8p As for the changing oil class at Ohio State, I wouldn't know since I went to KSU.

Sodar none of my neighbors knew anything either. I was the only one around with a boat. I still think it should get sent back to Indmar so the guy with the 48" pipe wrench and a cheater bar putting on the oil filters can see the results of his work.

trickskier
06-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Tricky, .....I was going to make some remark about the wrist action comment, but what's the point?8p As for the changing oil class at Ohio State, I wouldn't know since I went to KSU.

LOL..................Just funning with ya CP................Warming up for the Football Season..................;)

JohnnyB
06-02-2007, 09:32 AM
http://www.mgcycle.com/17030C.JPG

this is the tool.

Known as an oil filter socket.

Anytime I have a filter stuck (often happens after a quik oil change spot throws one on w/o lubing the seal, and then grunts it on with a wrench.) I end up going out and buying one of these for a few bucks.

And presto chango... removed oil filter w/o popping holes cutting hands or making gooey oil messes.

My thought through this whole thread was that I haven't used the strap-style filter wrenches in years. I have a socket like this for each size filter I change.....much easier than the old way.....many less four letter words involved and a relatively inexpensive tool

blandis
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
If you have room, try using a piece of schedule 80 pvc pipe, just large enough diameter to slide over filter. Drive a screwdriver through filter, notch the pvc so it would slide over both sides of where screwdriver comes out of each side of filter.
Cut the pvc as long as you can and drill a hole long enough to fit a cheater bar all the way throught PVC. This hole will be on opposite end of where you have notched for screwdriver and gets you some room to work away from motor and get in a position where you can torque on it with two hands.
This allows you to get some leverage, and apply slow constant pressure, like you would using a bench vise using two hand to tighten handle.
Hope I have not confused you?