PDA

View Full Version : Oil Drain Hose Fitting

puck_11
05-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I am having problems changing my oil as I can not get the oil drain hose fiitting off. As I try to turn the bolt to get it off, it spins the whole fitting assembly, I tried to hold one part of the assembly with another wrench, but I can't get a grip on it as it's completely round and the wrench keeps on slipping. I don't have a picture so you can't get a good visual of what I am talking about, but I've tried pretty much everything that i can think of. Any other ideas? I've thought of just cutting it off and putting a new fitting on there, but i'm not really sure of what I could put on there? Ideas? Also, I have a jabsco drill pump that I used to change the transmission fluid, but I'm having problems getting it to work to change the oil. I've been sticking it down the dip stick tube (is this the right place?) but I can't seem to get it to prime, tips?

Mike

bigmac
05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I am having problems changing my oil as I can not get the oil drain hose fiitting off. As I try to turn the bolt to get it off, it spins the whole fitting assembly, I tried to hold one part of the assembly with another wrench, but I can't get a grip on it as it's completely round and the wrench keeps on slipping. I don't have a picture so you can't get a good visual of what I am talking about, but I've tried pretty much everything that i can think of. Any other ideas? I've thought of just cutting it off and putting a new fitting on there, but i'm not really sure of what I could put on there? Ideas? Also, I have a jabsco drill pump that I used to change the transmission fluid, but I'm having problems getting it to work to change the oil. I've been sticking it down the dip stick tube (is this the right place?) but I can't seem to get it to prime, tips?

Mike

Vise Grip? Always works for me with rounded brass nuts.

Or, you could cut it off and cruise the hardware store in the plumbing section until you find the right comination of barbed fitting, hose clamp and some other kind of nut with an O-ring. Take a little piece of the hose you cut off to make sure you get the right diameter barbed fitting.

http://www.parker.com/BRASSPROD/DIGITAL%20ASSETS/213P.JPGhttp://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/barb-fitting-mipsxbarb.jpg

I'd be nervous about putting the oil vacuum hose down the dipstick hole. I know of two guys (one on Malibu forum and one that PM'd me here on Team Talk) who couldn't get that tube back out of the dipstick (next step usually pulling the oil pan - yikes!)

peason
05-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Put the vacuum hose down the dipstick hole once on my old Nautique - sure enough it got stuck. Luckily my friend stopped by that sells meds told me to take a wire and preform an "angioplasty" on the tube- I took a wire clothes hanger, straightened it out and pushed through the tube and in a matter of seconds I was able to get the tube dislodged and out of the dipstick hole.

Ski-A-Rees
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Anytime I have a problem like that, I break out the propane torch. Heat it up for like a minute to a minute and a half. Spray it down with WD-40 to cool it back down. grab two vice grips and go to town. That always seems to work for me. Just don't get too close to the rubber hose.

puck_11
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks Bigmac for the pics. Ski-A-Rees, I'll give that a shot, and if that doesn't work, I'll be cutting the hose and hitting the hardware store.

wgwollet
05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Puck:

I just changed my oil last night and the hose is too much for me....I just use a oil pump out the oil dip stick it works great

bigmac
05-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Puck:

I just changed my oil last night and the hose is too much for me....I just use a oil pump out the oil dip stick it works great

Hope it doesn't get stuck in there -- see above post.