PDA

View Full Version : Key

MasterCrafting
05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I was wondering how many differnt keys are around? I've used my key to start every 91-94 Prostar 190 I've tried. I know that most car companies have like 8-12 keys per car...and now even more with the rfid keys. Is there a definate answer from somone in the know? I dont need typical TMC speculation on this one.

Thanks Guys.

Diesel
05-30-2007, 02:51 PM
It's either 7,568 or 3............. I cannot remember which one though :confused:

jkski
05-30-2007, 03:40 PM
12 different keys to the best of my knowledge.

LakePirate
05-30-2007, 06:53 PM
I dont need typical TMC speculation on this one.

Thanks Guys.

Gene .

milkmania
05-30-2007, 09:11 PM
no speculation:confused:

leaves me out:o

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Well, I went to the dealer to get a copy of a MC key once. He looked at my key, and came back to me in about 45 seconds with another one in hand...:o Maybe a dozen??
Speculation is all I got here....:(

PendO
05-30-2007, 10:22 PM
I heard there are six keys for the newer boats (from my service shop)... all I know is my key starts either boat (04 or 06) ... almost makes me think about replacing the ignition switch ... thankfully our boats on on lifts, not tied up at the dock.

88 PS190
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
your key is kind of a last line of defense, anyone fairly clever can run a hot wire from the battery to the coil and jump the starter over and be in business, you don't have a steering wheel lock, or a throttle lock out.

So the solution.

Lock up your trailer, lock up your lift, and lock up your wife...

well atleast the first 2 the last could be trouble.

dmayer84
05-30-2007, 11:34 PM
your key is kind of a last line of defense, anyone fairly clever can run a hot wire from the battery to the coil and jump the starter over and be in business, you don't have a steering wheel lock, or a throttle lock out.

Reminds me of the time that my dad forgot the key for our sea ray. He was going to drive 45 mins round trip to get it. I just used some aligator clips on the back of the key cylinder.

Monte
05-30-2007, 11:36 PM

So the solution.

Lock up your trailer, lock up your lift, and lock up your wife...

well atleast the first 2 the last could be trouble.

I agree.. keys are the honest man's theft deterrent. If a theif want's it he'll get it.

I only have one key.. Where in the heck did you all get twelve:rolleyes:

WTRSK1R
06-01-2007, 12:00 AM
When I bought my '92 I took it in for some warranty work and asked the service guy if he needed the key since it was not in the boat. He said no, there is only 1 !:(

I know, no speculation. I am just quoting a no longer in business MC dealer in southern WI.

pflcjl
06-01-2007, 07:02 AM
What is your opinion of the nautique keyless key pad feature? Should MC go keyless?

TMCNo1
06-01-2007, 07:25 AM
I heard there are six keys for the newer boats (from my service shop)... all I know is my key starts either boat (04 or 06) ... almost makes me think about replacing the ignition switch ... thankfully our boats on on lifts, not tied up at the dock.

It helps to keep the bimini up, windows up and the doors locked!:rolleyes: :D

Diesel
06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
What is your opinion of the nautique keyless key pad feature? Should MC go keyless?

Have you ever used one? I think it's a pain in the *** myself.

If they go keyless they need to use a system simiar to what is being used in the automotive industry. Have a fob and as long as it is in the boat it will start. Take it out and no start.

TMCNo1
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM

They did have it as a option back in the early to mid 90's and it didn't go over well and was discontinued.