PDA

View Full Version : prestolite vs thunderbolt

rob935
05-30-2007, 06:46 AM
hi guys have diagnosed my ignition module in my 93 prostar is shot, have tried to order a prestolite (prs65-189) replacement but my parts shop tells me he cant source this one but that he has a thunderbolt one that will do the job, are these parts interchangeable ?? if so is the thunderbolt as good a quality as prestolite etc.

any help/opinion welcome thanks.

TMCNo1
05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
hi guys have diagnosed my ignition module in my 93 prostar is shot, have tried to order a prestolite (prs65-189) replacement but my parts shop tells me he cant source this one but that he has a thunderbolt one that will do the job, are these parts interchangeable ?? if so is the thunderbolt as good a quality as prestolite etc.

any help/opinion welcome thanks.

Never heard of Thunderbolt, as Prestolite and Pertronics are the 2 that are most often seen. Just get a complete Prestolite kit and you will have some spare parts if you need them.
Call Rick Rutter @ Prestolite, 1-866-879-3204 or 1-937-440-0589 and talk to him about how to just get a replacement module and/or if the Thunderbolt is interchangeable.

G-man
05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Some of dealers may be able to help you or skidim.com can help you out.

rob935
05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
thanks guys, the prestolite module seems to be easily available in the U.S. however over here in Ireland im having difficulty sourcing one before this weekend (Holiday weekend over here). i may just hang on and mail order the prest. module form the U.S. so, ive seen it on the "partman " site this morning. thanks for the help.

rob935
05-31-2007, 07:09 PM
all sorted guys , bought the thunderbolt and although it looks totally different it slots straight in and has solved the problem completely, roll on the weekend...

thanks again.