PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires ?

Hunterb
05-30-2007, 01:42 AM
I just had an issue with a tire shop today over the tires on my trailer. I had a flat so I took the tire in to either be repaired or replaced. It wasn't repairable, or wasn't worth repairing, because the rubber was very cracked on the sides. It was an old tire. I asked them to install a
P205/75R14 since that's what was on there and the other three tires are that rating. They said they wouldn't put that tire on a trailer and I was crazy to be driving around with P rated tires. I have a Prostar 190 and a tandem axle trailer which I would guess weigh a combined 4000lbs. Is it really dangerous to have P rated tires on the trailer?

What do you all run?

Bruce

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
I believe the "P" stands for "P"assenger vehicle. And no I wouldn't use one on a trailer.
Try these.....
Goodyear link (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=goodyear&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=goodyear&noImage=0)

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I did it for a year before my dealer noticed it and told me I needed trailer tires. I wouldn't do it now that I know better. On a tandem axle, I think you could get away with it, but given how much work you've put into your boat, I'd look at it as $400 worth of insurance.

JKTX21
05-30-2007, 11:26 AM
I have a passenger tire for my spare, only because I don't keep it locked and trailer all of about 2 miles round trip. Seems like the amount of weight, pressure, and the speed a smaller tire travels on a trailer, etc.... ETS is right on!

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 12:07 PM
As I understand it, trailer tires have different "load" requirements. I am not sure it's the "speed", it has more to do how the tire handles the load and I do not believe it has anything to do with how many axles it has. I think even a tri-axle should have "trailer" tires.

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
As I understand it, trailer tires have different "load" requirements. I am not sure it's the "speed", it has more to do how the tire handles the load and I do not believe it has anything to do with how many axles it has. I think even a tri-axle should have "trailer" tires.

I think it allows for greater pressure on the sidewalls. My thoughts about dual axle versus single axle is if you have a blowout with a dual axle, it won't be as big of a deal as on a single axle. Or at least that's how the dual axle trailers seem to be pitched by their owners. Which is not to say if I had a dually, it wouldn't have four Marathons on it.

tex
05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
When I was a new boat owner back in the day, I did this. I blew out two tires in less than a month. Single axle trailer. You need trailer tires due to the sidewalls.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I think it allows for greater pressure on the sidewalls. My thoughts about dual axle versus single axle is if you have a blowout with a dual axle, it won't be as big of a deal as on a single axle. Or at least that's how the dual axle trailers seem to be pitched by their owners. Which is not to say if I had a dually, it wouldn't have four Marathons on it.
Have you ever seen someone blow out a car tire on a dual axle trailer? It ain't pretty. Sometimes, if its just right, it'll remove the fenders fer ya, makes tire changes easier, but it don't look as nice:rolleyes: . With that said, I'll quote ya I'd look at it as $400 worth of insurance.;)

Hunterb
06-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like trailer tires are the way to go. You learn something every day. It is a tandem axle trailer so hopefully that's a bit better anyway. I will be looking for some trailer tires. Anyone need some good P205/75-14R's?

Thanks !!

Bruce

jraben8
06-01-2007, 01:49 PM
If the tire name starts with a "C" please look elsewhere.

tex
06-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Discount Tire

Sodar
06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
If the tire name starts with a "C" please look elsewhere.

If the names starts with an M, ends with a N and has aratho in the center, buy them!! ;) :D ;)

Marathons are the way to go Carlisles have not done me well, but Marathons have always gotten me to and fro safely.

mpm32
06-01-2007, 02:19 PM
For good price on the m tires go to; www.southwestwheel.com.

I got the m tires mounted on modular white wheels for $94 each, they have chrome for slightly more.

finbar
06-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I have an '05 X-Star and have had one trailer tire blowout and another start to delaminate in the past two weeks. These were the original Goodyears on the Mastercraft trailer. Anyone know if I have a legit warranty claim (against Goodyear) on this ? Tires have been kept at recommended pressure and though have sat thru the winter w/o moving I was under the impression this was not an issue with trailer tires. Any feedback appreciated before I have to stump up $400 for a new set of 4 (bought a cheapo replacement on the road for the one that blew and swapped that out for the one that was delamming). Thanks.

6ballsisall
06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I think it allows for greater pressure on the sidewalls. .

Thats it right there..........I've seen some pretty gnarly accidents w/ sno-cat trailers were a government entity in all their wisdom decided to use P rated tires. Sno-cats smash cars really flat!:rolleyes:

trickskier
06-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Check out the website below. It explains the difference between a trailer tire and a passenger tire.

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/tech_info/trailertires_tech_info.html

WakeSeeky
06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
I have an '05 X-Star and have had one trailer tire blowout and another start to delaminate in the past two weeks. These were the original Goodyears on the Mastercraft trailer. Anyone know if I have a legit warranty claim (against Goodyear) on this ? Tires have been kept at recommended pressure and though have sat thru the winter w/o moving I was under the impression this was not an issue with trailer tires. Any feedback appreciated before I have to stump up $400 for a new set of 4 (bought a cheapo replacement on the road for the one that blew and swapped that out for the one that was delamming). Thanks.

Ironically, except for the blowout part, we've had nearly the same experience. Our latest tire should be in today. :rolleyes:

'05 X-30, original tires, tandem trailer. Ours runs all year and we do put pretty serious mileage on it. About three weeks ago, noticed the front right side tire was coming apart. Changed it & got a new one. Last weekend, noticed rear right side tire was coming apart. Changed it, lather, rinse, repeat...

The guys at Discount haven't seen the latest one yet, but they said we'd almost certainly hit something with the first one. We'll see what they say today, but my bet is it's going to be the same thing. They told us we were certainly welcome to contact Goodyear, but they didn't see much point. Nice thing about Discount, we now have road hazard warranties on the new tires so NEXT time we hit something, we're golden. :rolleyes:

I suppose it depends why you think the tires came apart. If you think it's a man'f defect, it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone, but there's no road hazard warranty on those tires that I'm aware of.