PDA

View Full Version : Water coming out of the impeller housing. 1986 MC

Tom Wortham
05-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Wanted to trouble shoot this one with the MC folks.
I have a new impeller installed, so I know that is good.
While the boat is running water is coming out of the back of the impeller housing and hits down on the belts causing it to spray while the boat is running. It obvioulsy sprays more at higher RPMs. What would cause this? Thanks.

Sodar
05-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Wanted to trouble shoot this one with the MC folks.
I have a new impeller installed, so I know that is good.
While the boat is running water is coming out of the back of the impeller housing and hits down on the belts causing it to spray while the boat is running. It obvioulsy sprays more at higher RPMs. What would cause this? Thanks.

The rear seal is bad in the water pump. Just replace it with this from skidim.

http://skidim.com/images/68-5004.jpg

If your pump is leaking from the back side it is normally caused by this seal being worn or deformed. Be carefull when removing or installing your impeller and dont let the impeller **** to one side and try to force it in. If you put lateral pressure on the impeller shaft it may distort this seal causing a leak.

Tom Wortham
05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks SodarSki73.
Do you have to take the water pump off to access? Or just pull out the impeller and it fits behind it. Also, should this be replaced everytime the impeller is replaced? Many Thanks. I will call Skidim and order today. Regards, Tom

ski_king
05-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Does your 86 have the PCM engine?

If so, the problem canbe the oring gasket isnt in the groove right.
http://skidim.com/images/RP061015.jpg

Tom Wortham
05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
It's an Inmar. Talked to a lady at Skidim. She knows her stuff. Cool how they keep all your data on file. She confirmed that it was the rear seal. Got one ordered. First time that I have had to replace it. Thanks.

Thrall
05-31-2007, 08:44 AM
Skidim set me straight on this too. I was ready to buy a new raw water pump. A new seal fixed it. Unless your RW pump is worn out. If there's any play in the shaft, a new seal prolly wont work very long.
You can access the seal from the front w/o taking the pump off.
It's a bit difficult to pry the old one out, but can be done.

Tom Wortham
05-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Skidim set me straight on this too. I was ready to buy a new raw water pump. A new seal fixed it. Unless your RW pump is worn out. If there's any play in the shaft, a new seal prolly wont work very long.
You can access the seal from the front w/o taking the pump off.
It's a bit difficult to pry the old one out, but can be done.

Any "tips" on getting the old one out. The paint can openers are a good idea for the impeller. Thoughts on the rear seal?

butter
05-31-2007, 12:55 PM
I just did this last weekend, and this link helped a lot...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11994&d=1153857241

(I only replaced the seal, not the bearings)

Good luck!

Tom Wortham
05-31-2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks, so it appears that you have to take the raw pump off? I though you could just pull out the impeller, pull out the (old) rear seal (as seen above in this post), put the impeller back in, put seal and cover plate to raw pump back on and you are good to go.
Has anyone done this job without pulling the raw pump off? Thanks.

Sodar
05-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks, so it appears that you have to take the raw pump off? I though you could just pull out the impeller, pull out the (old) rear seal (as seen above in this post), put the impeller back in, put seal and cover plate to raw pump back on and you are good to go.
Has anyone done this job without pulling the raw pump off? Thanks.

The pump needs to come out. Removal is easy, just three allen screws and it is off. When banging the impeller shaft out, be sensitive to the bearings. I busted mine right open and ended up just buying a new water pump....

Tom Wortham
05-31-2007, 04:45 PM
So this can be done without a "gear puller". I do not have all the tools that were listed in the nice list provided a few threads ago.
Just don't want to get too deep into this and not have the "right" equipment. Thanks everyone.

Sodar
05-31-2007, 05:16 PM
So this can be done without a "gear puller". I do not have all the tools that were listed in the nice list provided a few threads ago.
Just don't want to get too deep into this and not have the "right" equipment. Thanks everyone.

No, since you are not removing the bearings from the shaft, I do not see a reason for the puller..

Footin
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
I found this in an old thread, This is how I replaced mine:

Johnson 812 pump? Yours may be different, but...........

Mine was leaking the same as yours........throwing a spray of water inside the engine cover. I called DIM and the good folks there sent me the new seal.

I was able to remove the impeller and pull the seal out from the front. Small tools required. My spring was OK, the rubber was starting to disintegrate around the shaft.

My memory is fuzzy but I think that DIM even said to do it this way........I may be wrong......

The new one pressed in from the front ( I used some marine grease to help it in). I had no more leaks from that point forward.

Again, yours may be different, but IMO the Johnson seal is accessible from the front like this for easier replacement.

Tom Wortham
05-31-2007, 05:36 PM
I found this in an old thread, This is how I replaced mine:

Johnson 812 pump? Yours may be different, but...........

Mine was leaking the same as yours........throwing a spray of water inside the engine cover. I called DIM and the good folks there sent me the new seal.

I was able to remove the impeller and pull the seal out from the front. Small tools required. My spring was OK, the rubber was starting to disintegrate around the shaft.

My memory is fuzzy but I think that DIM even said to do it this way........I may be wrong......

The new one pressed in from the front ( I used some marine grease to help it in). I had no more leaks from that point forward.

Again, yours may be different, but IMO the Johnson seal is accessible from the front like this for easier replacement.

Good to know. Thanks for the post.
I was not aware that there was a "spring". When you said, "My spring was OK". What spring are you talking about. Not sure if it's an 812, but it is a Johnson Pump, and it's on an 1986 boat. I'll try accessing with the pump still on and just pull the impeller. Regards.

Tom Wortham
06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Guess I was lucky.... lowered the boat and was going on a quick ride (my youngest son was on me pretty hard)... before I was going to put in the new "rear seal". Got out on the water, while the boat was running and took a peak to see how much it was "spraying".... and nothing! It had stopped. Very strange. I'll keep an eye on it... but the seal must have been a little off from putting in a new impeller and once it ran a while... it must have worked back into place. Has this happened to anyone else?