PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Lift

gmille39
05-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Just bought a boat lift but fins can't get past the frame. The boat that was on this lift prior was a Mastercraft 205 and now I'm putting an X9 on it. I assume with the hull shape the fins sit lower in the water. The bunks are as high as they can go so I need to get longer brackets for the lift. Anyone else have this issue with an X series boat. Anyone know when the distance needs to be to clear the bar? Can these brackets be changed myself or should I pay a lift guy to do it. He wants quite a bit per hour to do it. Also, I want to buy the parts myself, rather than letting them mark them up and sell them to me. Where can I get the parts.

Rich_G
05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
before you get longer brackets think about retrofitting the current bunks. What do they sit on? Can you put some spacers under the bunks?

A longer bolt and a stack of washers can buy you a couple more inches of clearance. Post a pic and I'm sure somebody will have an idea.

pram
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
What about putting a second layer of bunks on top of the bunk already there and re carpeting. Or better yet remove the carpeted bunk and put a new bunk on then put the carpeted bunk on the new bunk.

gmille39
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
before you get longer brackets think about retrofitting the current bunks. What do they sit on? Can you put some spacers under the bunks?

A longer bolt and a stack of washers can buy you a couple more inches of clearance. Post a pic and I'm sure somebody will have an idea.

Good idea. I'll raise it up some and see what I can do. The boat isn't on the lift all the way, so I don't want to put it up all the way. Of course the guy at the marina that dropped in the lift wants to sell me walk-on guides and all this other stuff I probably don't need.

gmille39
05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
What about putting a second layer of bunks on top of the bunk already there and re carpeting. Or better yet remove the carpeted bunk and put a new bunk on then put the carpeted bunk on the new bunk.

I'm going to raise it up and see just how close I am to clearing the tube. Hopefully it's just a couple inches. A little more water level would help also. Only 31 inches right now but he said the lift could be sunk another six inches with a water pump to open up the muck on the bottom.

endl
06-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I had to retro fit my lift. It is a front mount square Tank style with bunks that you drive onto and then lift with air. I ended up buying 2x1 channel steel cutting 2' pieces and mounting them to the cross members. I figured I needed to be 17-20 inches on my boat to clear the cross members for the prop. I measured the trailer and then drilled and mounted the 2' pieces in place on the cross members. I figured 6 inces were lost for the mounting on the cross member then which left me 18 inches plus the length of the swivel bracket and the 1.5 inches for the 2x6. I should be close or over the 20" for plenty of clearance room. I have the last 4 pieces to put on tomorrow and will advise how it worked.

KelBCx9
06-01-2007, 06:44 PM
What type of lift is it? I have a shorestation and modified it with new rails. The supports for the bunks are approx 12" high and it clears the fins. The prop shaft is about 3" from the end support.

endl
06-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Mine was built locally by a welder/fabricator, he also owned the lift and had his personal boat on it. It was a 25' I/O so I had to raise it considerably. He had typical channel type galvaized bunk brackets on it and the boat sat very close to the cross member because the I/O hung off the back.

88 PS190
06-01-2007, 07:06 PM
I had to modify ours slightly, I just took wood like was used for the bunks and Drilled it to match, then ran longer carriage bolts through it.

I only needed 2"

PendO
06-01-2007, 07:25 PM
we had this issue with a shorestation lift when we went from a 190 to an X9 ... had to replace the crossmembers and bunks ... it was pretty easy to do ... if you can take a picture of you lift that would help with figuring out a solution ... do you have flat crossmembers that the hull rests on, or does the boat rest on bunks attatched to crossmembers?

endl
06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
This is what mine looked like before I made new brackets, it was set up for a 25' Chapparel I/O. I finished it up this weekend and will take new pictures and post them.

Datdude
06-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Just bought a boat lift but fins can't get past the frame. The boat that was on this lift prior was a Mastercraft 205 and now I'm putting an X9 on it. I assume with the hull shape the fins sit lower in the water. The bunks are as high as they can go so I need to get longer brackets for the lift. Anyone else have this issue with an X series boat. Anyone know when the distance needs to be to clear the bar? Can these brackets be changed myself or should I pay a lift guy to do it. He wants quite a bit per hour to do it. Also, I want to buy the parts myself, rather than letting them mark them up and sell them to me. Where can I get the parts.

What kind of boat lift is it?