PDA

View Full Version : 351 engine starter

h20skimd
05-29-2007, 04:03 PM
I own a 92 prostar 190 and after 15 years the starter finally said no go this summer. I opted to try an automotive starter in its place but I can't seem to get it to work consistently. I took the starter off again and noticed that the starter gear teeth were rounding at the tips as if it is not fully engaging the flywheel. Is there a difference between a marine and automotive starters????? Has anyone else had this problem? Help

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 04:33 PM
I own a 92 prostar 190 and after 15 years the starter finally said no go this summer. I opted to try an automotive starter in its place but I can't seem to get it to work consistently. I took the starter off again and noticed that the starter gear teeth were rounding at the tips as if it is not fully engaging the flywheel. Is there a difference between a marine and automotive starters????? Has anyone else had this problem? Help

Yes, there is a difference, if nothing more than a marine specific starter is shielded to prevent it from throwing sparks and exploding a boat that the owner has not run the bilge blower to evacuate any possible gas fumes. Does your blower work?

Doug (East Texas Skier), if you hear a big explosion in East Texas, while on the water,............................................ .Run!

6ballsisall
05-29-2007, 04:48 PM

If you value you and your families safety get that auto starter off there ASAP. The teeth probably aren't any different but the electrical circuitry is not sealed on an Auto one, one spark and CABOOM!!!!

mpm32
05-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I posted this in another thread but it should go here too.

I would not go automotive on things that can cause you to go 'boom'. This includes fuel related parts and electrical like alternators and starters. The cost savings are not worth it. I imagine if you were lucky enough to get blown clear of the boat and treading water you won't be thinking, "Boy, I'm glad I saved $100 on that part".

h20skimd
05-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try not to create a new lake in east texas