PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot

BradD
05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I didn't reattach the raw water intake hose last fall after winterizing. Just about sunk the boat yesterday. My family was very impressed as were all the neighbors when I yelled to shore to lower the boat lift immediately. My seven year old son thought we were going down. He spoke of nothing else the rest of the day and this morning.
I continue to learn something new everyday.

milkmania
05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/captain.gif http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/drowning.gif

glad everyone is good

Ryan
05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I didn't reattach the raw water intake hose last fall after winterizing. Just about sunk the boat yesterday. My family was very impressed as were all the neighbors when I yelled to shore to lower the boat lift immediately. My seven year old son thought we were going down. He spoke of nothing else the rest of the day and this morning.
I continue to learn something new everyday.

I know my bilge pump couldn't keep up with that kind of inflow of water. That's very big of you to share the story - I think I would have kept that one a secret. ;)

CoFooter
05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Ryan, don't feel so bad. I saw this happen to two different boats this last weekend on our lake. One guy drove his boat for a half hour filling with water and his temp gage was pegged. Other guy had to beach his boat to let the bilge do its thing. Its not just you.....

captain planet
05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm with you on this Ryan! An incident like this, provided there are no injuries or loss of property, will land you the coveted "Dummy Award" at our boat club..............that is unless you get away without anyone finding out (or you have a wife who won't squeal on you). Isn't that right CASX2?

milkmania
05-29-2007, 01:17 PM
I know my bilge pump couldn't keep up with that kind of inflow of water. That's very big of you to share the story - I think I would have kept that one a secret. ;)

hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves......

we have to cry in our beer:(

Ryan
05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves......

we have to cry in our beer:(

Ok, I left the plug out once. There I've said it. I caved to peer pressure, but somehow feel more free. I've held that in for three and a half years. Now I can fire my therapist. 8p

chudson
05-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Good lookin boat too Bud, glad to hear she didn't go down!!!

Oh and that kinda falls into the "Forgot the Plug Club" too which I've joined a couple a times too!!!

Andyg
05-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Don't feel bad. I forgot to hook up the exhaust manifold drain hoses on my buddies 2005 BU this spring and we took it out on Sunday for the first time. We lauched it and as I was walking back down to the boat he starts screaming at me to get down there the boat is filling up with water.

milkmania
05-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Ok, I left the plug out once. There I've said it. I caved to peer pressure, but somehow feel more free. I've held that in for three and a half years. Now I can fire my therapist. 8p

oh great, now I've gotta open another beer:cool:

Jesus_Freak
05-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Oh and that kinda falls into the "Forgot the Plug Club" too which I've joined a couple a times too!!!

Does "leaving the plug and boat keys sitting on the transom while I drove off (after a day at the lake)" get me into the club?

milkmania
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Does "leaving the plug and boat keys sitting on the transom while I drove off (after a day at the lake)" get me into the club?

move aside guys, we've got an over acheiver headed forward;)

pilot02
05-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Uh Oh! Unfortunately, I think I can top this one..... Sunday, headed to the Master's at Callaway Gardens with boat in tow. Just regelcoated much of my boat and therefore have no registration decals or numbers on it yet.. Got 5 miles down the road and realized I didn't have the new decalse. So, went back to the house to get the new decals.
On my truck, you can remove the keys with the engine running (which I did), ran up to the house, got the paperwork and decals. Kids already need a pee break so let them go, got my son and myself a drink, and as I was getting into the truck, handed my son his drink and apparently set my keys on the step on my flareside truck. Needless to say, got to Callaway (70 miles away) went to unhook the boat from the truck (because ya can't take another brand boat in during the Master's), and didn't have my keys. Luckily, had enough of a spare set in the boat and truck to continue with the day...

beatle78
05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I can add to the club....

my auto bilge switch is broken, and I added a flushpro over the winter. I was going to change my plastiv through hull over to a brass setup but never did. I put everything back together except for the clamp that goes on the hose directly connected to the raw water pickup in the hull.

After I ran for about 2 hours, no temp/ problems, but I looked in the boat and there was 4-5" of water in there. I turned on the bilge and figured it must have been that new poly twist plug I put in the center plug. So I put the brass T plug back in and went to a party. Came home and went to check on the boat. 5-6" of water in there AHHHH.... where is the water coming from. At 11:00pm at night with a flashlight I finally noticed there was a clamp missing. The water did not rush in, but obviously came in fast enough....... now I'm really ticked b/c the new steering cable I just put in was submerged..... what a dummy...

Bruce
05-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Tell it all brothers and sisters. Tell it all!

Ryan
05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Ok, there was this one time when I was a teenager.

We were camping & boating at Lake Isabella and I went to disconnect the boat from the Suburban to aid unloading...and um...neglected to chalk the tires. The Century 2400 started rolling backwards. I freaked out as the outdrive aimed toward some very large rocks. Luckily there were 4-5 other adults to help me stop it as I did my best to steer the boat through the miandering campground drive toward a slight incline by yanking on the tongue jack handle.

Now I disconnect the safety chains/cables last whenever I'm diconnecting anywhere besides my own garage. And I use chalks like a mofo.

Ric
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I might be forced to admit we left the transom straps on my new boat, but I realized what was wrong in time as the boat just was not floating as the trailer got deeper on the ramp! probably the fault of our magic sand though, nothing I was doing wrong

captain planet
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
I might be forced to admit we left the transom straps on my new boat, but I realized what was wrong in time as the boat just was not floating as the trailer got deeper on the ramp! probably the fault of our magic sand though, nothing I was doing wrong
Ric, this very offense you have admitted to is the same offense that the last recipient of the Dummy Award at my boat club committed. It sounds like you caught it in time, however the guy at our club didn't and he floated his trailer sideways off the ramp. By the time he realized what was wrong, he actually had to paddle his boat and trailer back over onto the ramp so he could pull it out and remove his tie-downs. 8p

Ryan
05-29-2007, 04:52 PM

What is this magic sand you speak of?