PDA

View Full Version : Bad?? Memorial Day Weekend. Help!!!

sten76
05-29-2007, 12:08 PM
A friend we were with this weekend went to take the boat out of the water this weekend. We hooked everything up in the water at the landing and it all looked good. When we went to winch the boat up to secure it with the pin, but we were too steep at the landing, and could not get good leverage to winch all the way up. We secured the winch, and when he started to pull the boat out, the winch suddenly went into neutral and he was pulling the trailer out without the boat!!! Whooooahhhh, we yelled, but before he could stop fully, the winch then caught again and started to pull the boat out on the landing.

The boat was pulled on the concrete some, but it was halfway on the trailer, so the hull never touched the ground. The boat was resting on the prop and rudder.

We then slowly reversed the truck an inch at a time and I winched it up so we could put it back in the water and secure the pin.

The prop is screwed, and the rudder is barely scratched on the bottom. The hull and drive shaft look good. We took it over to another landing and replaced the prop and hoped for the best.

Everything works fine, no vibrations at any speed. Idle to WOT it runs fine.

The big question he has is, is there anything else we should look for? Are we missing something? Did we get lucky by not really screwing something up?

Maristar210
05-29-2007, 12:17 PM
A friend we were with this weekend went to take the boat out of the water this weekend. We hooked everything up in the water at the landing and it all looked good. When we went to winch the boat up to secure it with the pin, but we were too steep at the landing, and could not get good leverage to winch all the way up. We secured the winch, and when he started to pull the boat out, the winch suddenly went into neutral and he was pulling the trailer out without the boat!!! Whooooahhhh, we yelled, but before he could stop fully, the winch then caught again and started to pull the boat out on the landing.

The boat was pulled on the concrete some, but it was halfway on the trailer, so the hull never touched the ground. The boat was resting on the prop and rudder.

We then slowly reversed the truck an inch at a time and I winched it up so we could put it back in the water and secure the pin.

The prop is screwed, and the rudder is barely scratched on the bottom. The hull and drive shaft look good. We took it over to another landing and replaced the prop and hoped for the best.

Everything works fine, no vibrations at any speed. Idle to WOT it runs fine.

The big question he has is, is there anything else we should look for? Are we missing something? Did we get lucky by not really screwing something up?

Wow. Glad all are safe. Yes I believe you are very lucky. No vibration tells me nothing is bent. The truth is in holding the throttle. Sounds like you were very fortunate.

Whew.....

tex
05-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Wow and I thought rain was bad! Good luck. I can't think of anything but prop, shaft, or strut.

milkmania
05-29-2007, 12:20 PM
two words
two cents:twocents:

safety chain

glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been:)

Tim205
05-29-2007, 12:30 PM
How come the MC trailers don't have safety chains? Anyone know of a good part number from somewhere to add one?

milkmania
05-29-2007, 12:36 PM
here's a thread with TMC#1's carpeted boat buddy......

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16363&highlight=boat+buddy

you can see his cable attached in the first pic

you may be able to sweet talk him into producing another pic:)

Ben
05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
To check further, you may want to check the rudder box (part that holds the rudder). Not sure how to do this on your boat. Involves sliding fuel tank forward on mine, may need to remove rear center floor panel too, but no big deal.

Anyway, I'd check to make sure it isn't cracked / bent / bolts tight, etc. You may also want to check the strut mounting bolts. Running w/o vibration is definitely a good sign though.

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 01:38 PM
here's a thread with TMC#1's carpeted boat buddy......

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16363&highlight=boat+buddy

you can see his cable attached in the first pic

you may be able to sweet talk him into producing another pic:)

#1, talk him into learning to use the Boat Buddy for the reason it was designed.

#2, talk him into using something, rope, chain, cable, a transom tie down strap, anything as a safety system and learn to secure it before attempting to pull the boat out of the water.

Here is another picture of mine as Milk suggested,

Chicago190
05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Beginner question:

Is towing with the boat buddy pin engaged and the winch locked enough, or do you guys recommend some sort of safety chain for more security?

#47of100TeamMC
05-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Beginner question:

Is towing with the boat buddy pin engaged and the winch locked enough, or do you guys recommend some sort of safety chain for more security?

OH no... Not another Boat buddy question...:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Beginner question:

I think, on here, it has boiled down to just how much you want to protect your investment during retrieving and towing your boat, as to whether you use the pin engaged and/or use a safety cable, chain or other device to keep the boat from sliding off the trailer in addition to the winch strap, should one or more other the safety measures fail.
Just a note, now MC welds a plate at or near the base of the winch/Boat Buddy post that has a hole in it for the attachment of an additional safety device, like a rope, chain, tiedown strap or cable. I assume they think some extra security may be needed at your option.