PDA

View Full Version : Rub Rail Around Perimeter Of Boat

O2BESOHUGE
05-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Is It Expensive? And Hard To Replace Yourself? This Screwed Up Pier I Was Docked At This Weekend Pulled All Of Mine Off

Any Tips?

Thanks
O2

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Are you talking about the entire assembly of aluminum rail and the plastic insert or just the plastic insert.

peason
05-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Do a search on this site. There have been some good tips and pics of installs for a rub rail.

O2BESOHUGE
05-29-2007, 10:10 AM
The Black Plastic Insert Came Out And Is Hard As Heck To Put Back. Can You Just Buy The Black Plastic Strip?

peason
05-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I would think so - give Jim at BAWS a call - he will have all the answers.

O2BESOHUGE
05-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Peason!

milkmania
05-29-2007, 10:53 AM
seems like I read somewhere that MC boils their strips at the factory upon installation.... or at least puts them in very hot water

someone, please correct me if I can't remember ****!

chudson
05-29-2007, 10:58 AM
It's come up before, maybe this'll help.........

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=322820#post322820

cbryan70
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
boaters world and west marine sells it

Diesel
05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Heat it up with a heat gun and it will be very easy to put back in.

BrianM
05-29-2007, 11:33 AM
seems like I read somewhere that MC boils their strips at the factory upon installation.... or at least puts them in very hot water

Don't know if MC does it that way but I took a tour of a small ski boat manufacturer (Elan/American Skier) that coiled up the insert and stuck it in a large turkey frier sized pot. Brought it up to a boil then turned it off and let it soak for a little bit. Two people with work gloves pushed it in easily by hand. Took them less than 10 minutes to install.

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 11:44 AM

The factory has/had a tank about 3' X 4' by 2' deep that had a water heater strip in it where the kept 3 or 4 rolls of insets in and when the time came to install the insert, it was soft and pliable and with a handmade tool (Blade) from some black nylon/plastic scrap, 2 workers, 1 setting one edge in the rail and the other zipped the insert into the rail with the tool, all the way around the hull from the center of the transom to center of transon in about 3 to 4 minutes.

milkmania
05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
heck yeah!!!!!

I ain't crazyhttp://moneymakertalks.com/style_emoticons/kolobok/crazy.gif

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 12:38 PM
heck yeah!!!!!

I ain't crazyhttp://moneymakertalks.com/style_emoticons/kolobok/crazy.gif

FYI, I have a 50' replacement inset, still in the box stored, if I ever need to replace it. While at the factory, one of the employees gave me a piece of the plastic for the handmade tool and I traced it out on a piece of cardboard and came home the next day and made my own tool to use if I needed it.
Here it is, 6" long, 1" wide x 3/8" thick and trimmed down on a grinder and with a utility knife to form the blade,

#47of100TeamMC
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I know a guy that makes a Lighted LED rubrail insert... I'm just trying to justify wrecking the one I have so I can put in the new lighted one... so far, have not done it. How sweet would a lighten one be!?! :dance:

CHaus21
06-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Speaking of the rub rails - My trailer guide polls are covered with pads that have the "mastercraft logo" written in white paint on the pads.

Whenever I hit one of the guide polls while pulling the boat onto the trailer, I get long white 'scuff' marks on my rub rails from the guide pads. The mastercraft lettering is essentially rubbing off onto my rub rails.

The white paint seems nearly impossible to get off of my rub rails.

Do any of you guys have issues with this also? Any luck getting the white paint off?

JohnnyB
06-05-2007, 01:19 PM
FYI, I have a 50' replacement inset, still in the box stored, if I ever need to replace it. While at the factory, one of the employees gave me a piece of the plastic for the handmade tool and I traced it out on a piece of cardboard and came home the next day and made my own tool to use if I needed it.
Here it is, 6" long, 1" wide x 3/8" thick and trimmed down on a grinder and with a utility knife to form the blade,

Can you share a sketch of the tool?

I used a heat gun to pre-warm it. Had a buddy working a couple feet behind me heating while I did the install.

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Speaking of the rub rails - My trailer guide polls are covered with pads that have the "mastercraft logo" written in white paint on the pads.

Whenever I hit one of the guide polls while pulling the boat onto the trailer, I get long white 'scuff' marks on my rub rails from the guide pads. The mastercraft lettering is essentially rubbing off onto my rub rails.

Do any of you guys have issues with this also? Any luck getting the white paint off?

Lacquer thinner will remove the white print ink off the plastic rub rail insert, then apply a light coat of protectant on the insert to bring it back to life and maybe help it create less friction thereafter, if you continue to apply it.

BrianM
06-05-2007, 03:25 PM

I use somne wet 0000 steel wool. Takes it right off. Follow up with a good protectant.

tex
06-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Acetone works well,

rspiecha
06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Goo Gone works also.

CHaus21
06-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I use somne wet 0000 steel wool. Takes it right off. Follow up with a good protectant.

What type of protectant do you guys use?

TMCNo1
06-05-2007, 08:56 PM
What type of protectant do you guys use?

Armor All, 303, etc., etc., most all of it has some silicone in it that makes the insert slicker and brightens it up like new.

O2BESOHUGE
06-06-2007, 09:46 AM
The Heat Gun Did The Trick...good As New Now

Boy I Was Worried! Thanks Guys!

O2

Yellow X9
06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Heat it up with a heat gun and it will be very easy to put back in.

+2, did mine last summer....worked well