PDA

View Full Version : Carpet for a 1986 Trailer Stringers

Tom Wortham
05-28-2007, 11:10 PM
I got the old bunks off the boat trailer. Wood was OK, but I will go ahead and replace. Appears that they are 2x12s (treated). 8 new carriage bolts stainless with lock washers and nuts will be needed. The wood appears to be trimmed down on the inside of the stringers. (to better fit the boats curves underneath. The last repair seems to have a 4 inch strip of carpet on the top of the stringer then a second peice that is wrapped around it. It appears to be in one peice. Screws were used before... but, think I will use stainless staples. I have an electric staple gun that should work will. What length staples are recommended? 3/8 or 1/2? Screws might have been used if staples did not work. Do I need to counter drill in to the wood to allow for the carriage bolts to sit down in the wood. Or will the double carpet and tighten firmly do the trick? Last question regarding the carpet that is glued to the wheel wells. Appears that 3M adheisive spray is recommended looking at other threads. It currely just has one peice. I guess that is all that was used on the older models. It is an 86 model. Thanks for your input. Cheers. Tom

dichdoc
05-28-2007, 11:36 PM
You threw me off the scent with carpeting stringers! LOL Up hear we call those trailer bunks. Stringers are under the floor. Mine are treated 2x4's, 2x12 seems mighty big for either stringers or bunks. I sunk my Stainless carriage bolts in by tightening them down until just below the surface and then coating the heads with epoxy so they are less likely to strip out and spin. Either size stainless staple should work if only one layer of carpet. My 84's wheel wells are all one piece and TMC1 had a great tip on taking the carpet to a carpet place and having the upper edge bound. TB

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Yea, stringers are the length wise supports built into the boat hull liner to mount and support the engine, support/create the floorboards, form the bilge and create the backbone of the hull.
Carpeted trailer bunks are normally treated boards carpeted and mounted to the trailer to support the load of the boat and distribute it evenly throughout the trailer frame.

Tom Wortham
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I mean bunks. Guess I was enjoying the weekend a little too long.
2x4x12 should be the correct measurments. Good tip using apox. for the bolts. Will also look to have the "tops" of the carpet for the wheel wells "bound" by a carpet shop.
Thoughts on "double ply" the carpet? What about the "bunks" being trimmed? Thanks.

east tx skier
05-29-2007, 06:52 PM
I'd definitely do a double carpet treatment. Lay one piece cut the width of the bunk, then wrap a second piece that will staple from the bottom.

dichdoc
05-29-2007, 08:37 PM
OK 2"x4" x 12' Yes I agree. I beveled mine on a table saw tilted the blade and stopped about where the old ones were done I smoothed it out with a sander. I did 2 ply carpet as well. TB

Tom Wortham
05-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks to all.

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Tom, not sure if your trailer is different, but my bunks are 2x6x12 FWIW.

Tom Wortham
05-30-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Doug.
They are definately 2x4s.
Looks like they upgraded when they built the 90's models.
Tom.

Tom Wortham
06-01-2007, 08:25 PM
The carpet at Lowes only comes in 6 foot width. Hate to buy 12+ feet. Guess I would have enough to do them a second time 10+ years from now. Total cost is around $50 of I buy 12 feet of the 6 foot stuff.. I'll do a search, but if you have recently bought carpet for trailer bunks... and found it in 12.5 width... Please reply. Thanks.