PDA

View Full Version : engine electrical trouble need help

ogrover3
05-28-2007, 08:51 PM
went to the lake today and boat started great and ran great for about 30 mins then i went in and sat for about 30 mins. not a 100% positive but i think i left the radio on maybe but i really dont think so. got back in the boat to go and nothing so went to jump the boat and no luck all i would get was a thud so i bought a new battery and no luck still then i jumped with the new battery still no going. all i get when i turn the key is a thud then nothing else. the gauges respond for a short second then go back to nothing usually on the boat when i turn the key at all the gauges will go up then i turn and start the boat. the boat is a prostar 190 1991 model it has a electric ignition on it i think. any help would be greatly appreciated. are there any fuses anywhere to check?

TMCNo1
05-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Take the clipoff the kill switch and see if it acts the same, then reinstall and see if it does the same thing. Could be a bad kill switch.

JimN
05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
The thud wouldn't be caused by a bad kill switch, it's probably a bad solenoid or starter. The kill switch kills the ignition, not the starter.

Make sure the ground on the block is clean and tight. Your profile shows that you have a 1991 boat- it's about time that someone went through it and made sure the connections are good.

ogrover3
05-29-2007, 07:04 AM
i am going to check the ground on the engine.

do you think it would be the starter or the solenoid even though i am not getting any gauges as i turn the key to the on position. also i have no blower and no bilge at all?

peason
05-29-2007, 10:08 AM
You said you are attempting to jump with the new battery. Go ahead and install the new battery instead. Recently I tried to jump a dead car battery and the battery was so dead I could not get anything even when attempting to jump from another vehicle. It could be you've got a bad battery. Make sure all of your terminals are clean when you install the new battery.

ogrover3
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
i did install the new battery and then attempted the jump and i have power from the new battery but not sure why i am not getting any power to gauges or radio or blower or bilge. then still only a thud when trying to crank

rryker
05-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Check the breakers by your key, push them all in to reset everything.

EFiles
05-29-2007, 12:39 PM
A few years back my '87 would occasionally just go completely dead. No gauges, blower, nothing. After several turns of the key it would fire right up like nothing ever happened. I replaced the relay, had the starter rebuilt, replaced the circuit breaker. Same problem. Finally put new battery cables on it and it hasn't happened since (6 years ago). The cables that were on it looked ok, too. Could be worth a try.

Hunterb
05-29-2007, 12:53 PM
When you say it makes a 'thud' does it sound like the starter drive gear is engaging but not spinning or is it more of a 'click' which would indicate a solenoid problem? If it's a 'thud' then you probably have a battery/cable/connection/starter problem. If it's a 'click' you may have only a solenoid problem.

Follow these steps and it MAY solve your problem.

1) Make sure all your connections and cables are good, clean and tight. If no start, then
2) Make sure your battery is good. If no start, then
3) Change the solenoid. If no start, then
4) Change/rebuild the starter
5) If no start - Can't help you - sorry :(

Bruce

ogrover3
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
got it fixed. he was the problem. i checked power to the start relay and everything good. then i put power to the starter and still had the same result pulled the starter to find a small looking washer the size of the shaft of the starter lodged onto the fly wheel not letting the starter come out to the flywheel. pulled the debris and reinstalled the starter engine ran great. still nogauges due to a butt connecter that was not properly installed by a previous owner. thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. im sure i saved a hundred or 2 doing it myself. feels good

OhioProstar
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
I would wonder where the washer came from.

Hunterb
05-29-2007, 05:42 PM
How on earth did a washer get in there? Oh well, if it's working get out there and enjoy it. When something unexpectedly falls off you'll know where the washer came from :)

Bruce

ogrover3
05-29-2007, 06:38 PM
might be a bushing possibly off of the starter not sure but worst case i will have to replace the starter

beatle78
05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
perhaps the same guy that messed up the butt connector, replaced the starter and left a washer in there for safe keeping :)

ProStar Slalom
05-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Hearing about the "washer" brings back nightmares. I had a similar problem with my '87 a couple of years ago. I thought the starter had failed (a couple of times) after finding debris in the flywheel/starter housing. Finally figured out that the damper plate was literally falling apart, with the springs falling into the flywheel housing, and being caught by the flywheel and thrown up into the starter bendix. Did the "washer" look like it could be a loop from a damper plate spring?