PDA

View Full Version : Car seat in a PS 190?

HoustonAttorney
05-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I have been considering a car seat in the boat for my almost two year old.

I have heard of others mounting car seats, anchored in various places, with seat belts. I am curious if anyone has pictures?

In my 190, I plan to mount it rear facing on the observer seat, close to the driver. This will make opening the seat back impossible. Any other downside? Suggestions and pics welcome.

Thanks.

TMCNo1
05-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Several years ago, we knew a couple with a young child, that placed one facing to the starboard side, between the motor box and the observer seat/base and secured it around the pylon thru the base of the child seat like where the seatbelt would go and used a 1" wide nylon tiedown strap. The young child was not real happy having on the life preserver AND being in the child car seat.

milkmania
05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
personally, I wouldn't want to be strapped into a boat:(

ProTour X9
05-28-2007, 08:47 PM
I think you attach it to the mirror mount.........

tex
05-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Next thing people will be putting boat seats in cars.

TMCNo1
05-28-2007, 09:41 PM

Or toobing down the Interstate!

fintek9
05-28-2007, 10:40 PM
but I saw a set of car seats in a boat the other day!! I'm going to go back there and get a pic of that! that was too funny, hope it's still there!!! :purlaugh:

fintek9
05-28-2007, 10:40 PM
but I saw a set of car seats in a boat the other day!! I'm going to go back there and get a pic of that! that was too funny, hope it's still there!!! :purplaugh:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-28-2007, 10:46 PM
personally, I wouldn't want to be strapped into a boat:(
I agree, and I wouldn't want a child to be strapped in either.

Leroy
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree and would add I would say adult hold the ~2 year old when the boat is in motion.

kpickett
05-29-2007, 01:34 PM
I respectfully disagree with the previous posters, with some conditions. I think the danger of a Mastercraft flipping with a child strapped in is much, much, much less than the dangers of a todler falling or getting thrown around in the boat.

I made a five point harness for our todler. I made it with nylon straps and buckles and attached it to the observer seat bottom and seat back (behind the cushions). I thought about using the car seat, but he doesn't fit in the car seat with his vest on. (The vest is a must!) The harness keeps him secure, and he's right in reach of the driver. It's also easy to open the seatback, because the straps just float when he's not in it.

Now, as far as the conditions - we only use the harness when my wife and I are skiing by ourselves on a private slalom lake. Whenever we're out skiing or boating on open water, we always hold Ned in our lap.

east tx skier
05-29-2007, 02:38 PM
I respectfully disagree with the previous posters, with some conditions. I think the danger of a Mastercraft flipping with a child strapped in is much, much, much less than the dangers of a todler falling or getting thrown around in the boat.

I made a five point harness for our todler. I made it with nylon straps and buckles and attached it to the observer seat bottom and seat back (behind the cushions). I thought about using the car seat, but he doesn't fit in the car seat with his vest on. (The vest is a must!) The harness keeps him secure, and he's right in reach of the driver. It's also easy to open the seatback, because the straps just float when he's not in it.

Now, as far as the conditions - we only use the harness when my wife and I are skiing by ourselves on a private slalom lake. Whenever we're out skiing or boating on open water, we always hold Ned in our lap.

Having considered a lot of the same factors you guys considered (not to mention the risks present every time you put a child in a car), we have a booster seat attached to our jump seat for when our almost two year old comes along. There is a strap that goes around his waist, but not too tightly. It really has been great and has served its purpose well. When he was much younger, we placed him in his vest in a bouncy seat where the jump seat ordinarily is, but did not strap him into the bouncy seat.

In the months to come, we will probably dispense with using the strap and see if he stays put. When not in the boat, it is at our kitchen table.

Try to imagine it without the tray attached.

http://www.baby-wise.com/images/images_big/10-1233-01.jpg

dichdoc
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I screwed metal brackets that are about 1.5 inches long and raise up about 1/2" with holes on both ends to the floor. The seat is directly behind the pylon rear facing. One bracket is under the seat back and the other is between the driver's seat and the observers seat. I raise the observer's seat back clip in the car seats teather, close the seat and hook in the outside one and tighten it down. But don't listen to me I'm a horrible parent.... hang on she's running with scissors and she knows she can only do that while in the street!

The irony to this is that I install car seats for the public that does it wrong 98% of the time! I enjoy the parent who has spent over $300 dollars on the most expensive and "best" car seat and then barely has the seatbelts tight. I strap my daughter into a $70 dollar Cosco and sleep very well at night! (I spent the other $200 on her first skis) TB

kpickett
05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Having considered a lot of the same factors you guys considered (not to mention the risks present every time you put a child in a car), we have a booster seat attached to our jump seat for when our almost two year old comes along. There is a strap that goes around his waist, but not too tightly. It really has been great and has served its purpose well. When he was much younger, we placed him in his vest in a bouncy seat where the jump seat ordinarily is, but did not strap him into the bouncy seat.

Doug - it's funny you show that picture. We use that booster seat in the kitchen, and that was my inspiration to make the harness. Basically I copied the design of the belt straps and then I added shoulder straps to help keep Ned upright. I may add a cross chest strap, like our car seat, to keep him from falling over to the side.

Because of your suggestion, we used the bouncy seat last summer, but he's gotten much too big for it now. It never fit well, because we have the 190, but it did work a little. My wife was pretty skeptical about this new harness until we used it for the first time last week. Now she's totally sold for the private lake use. If it's at all rough water, she wants him held to avoid all the bumping.

My wife was a little iffy about our skiing with Ned and no observer, but all seems good now.

kpickett
05-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Adding to this topic - when Ned was younger, we had a lot of success strapping him into the Baby Bjorn and wearing him while we drove the boat. He enjoyed that a lot. The downside is, it doesn't really work with the infant vest - it's just too bulky.

Here he is getting ready to drive last week.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
I respectfully disagree with the previous posters, with some conditions. I think the danger of a Mastercraft flipping with a child strapped in is much, much, much less than the dangers of a todler falling or getting thrown around in the boat.You ever had a wally come way to close to you? Or just another boat that didn't see you...? If someone were to strap a child into a device that may not float upright IF something happened, what would be the benefit of having the life vest on? Just to comply with regulations? Or for the safety of the child?
Take a look around here, and see all the boats that have "gone under", I'd guess not many of the were expected, nor done on purpose. The chances are slim, but I wouldn't rather not take that chance. IMO

east tx skier
05-29-2007, 11:33 PM
Doug - it's funny you show that picture. We use that booster seat in the kitchen, and that was my inspiration to make the harness. Basically I copied the design of the belt straps and then I added shoulder straps to help keep Ned upright. I may add a cross chest strap, like our car seat, to keep him from falling over to the side.

Because of your suggestion, we used the bouncy seat last summer, but he's gotten much too big for it now. It never fit well, because we have the 190, but it did work a little. My wife was pretty skeptical about this new harness until we used it for the first time last week. Now she's totally sold for the private lake use. If it's at all rough water, she wants him held to avoid all the bumping.

My wife was a little iffy about our skiing with Ned and no observer, but all seems good now.

MarkP was the one who told me about the bouncy seat with no straps. My initial intention when he got too big for the bouncy was to make a harness. But, as it turns out, I'm not a good harness maker and had trouble finding supplies (although my jump seat still has the single point belt I was able to put together). We were very guarded about using that seat on the first couple of trips, but it works like a charm. The sides keep him upright and the strap is just enough to keep him there (very loose). We have gone over some boat wakes at reduced ski speeds, i.e., I was practically sinking in the water, and he was perfectly happy. Of course, Mom's arm seatbelt was on him at all times going across the wakes of course.

He likes to drive, too, but when there is a skier in tow, he prefers to watch and it's better to have a driver that can concentrate on what's ahead, the skier, and the spotter.

We plan our trips in the mornings or later in the evening when boat traffic tends to be down. We also have a ski club lake where skiing is restricted to club members. The only other people on this lake are fishermen in their john boats. Essentially, when boat traffic is up, we don't go out.

Not sure how well that booster would work in a 190. Like I said, I have it strapped to the base and back of the jump seat. The 190 base may be a bit too wide for it to work without some modification. Fortunately for you, your harness seems to be doing the trick just fine.

east tx skier
05-29-2007, 11:49 PM
You ever had a wally come way to close to you? Or just another boat that didn't see you...? If someone were to strap a child into a device that may not float upright IF something happened, what would be the benefit of having the life vest on? Just to comply with regulations? Or for the safety of the child?
Take a look around here, and see all the boats that have "gone under", I'd guess not many of the were expected, nor done on purpose. The chances are slim, but I wouldn't rather not take that chance. IMO

Workin, I wouldn't argue with a single point you made. Fortunately for kpicket, the Wally isn't part of the equation as he's only using that setup on a private lake. Not that that's a risk free outing. But the Wally factor is reduced.

To ask a question about one thing you said though, just out of curiosity, who on the forum had a boat sink ("go under")? Or do you mean "around here" as "around you geographically"? Just curious as I don't remember seeing/hearing that about anyone on here (or I've just forgotten). The closest I thought I'd seen of that was the MC that was cut in half and still equally buoyant.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Workin, I wouldn't argue with a single point you made. Fortunately for kpicket, the Wally isn't part of the equation as he's only using that setup on a private lake. Not that that's a risk free outing. But the Wally factor is reduced.

To ask a question about one thing you said though, just out of curiosity, who on the forum had a boat sink ("go under")? Or do you mean "around here" as "around you geographically"? Just curious as I don't remember seeing/hearing that about anyone on here (or I've just forgotten). The closest I thought I'd seen of that was the MC that was cut in half and still equally buoyant.
I don't recall the thread at this time, but there was a link someone here posted with dozens of sunken boats. I "copied" some of them and I can post some tomorrow if I still have them on another computer.
One in particular was the RED wakeboard edition MC that got caught in a sudden storm and sunk and the waves were washing over it in the pictures....Again, another thread I don't recall, but images I will never forget.

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 12:02 AM
That's the one I thought you might have been talking about. IIRC, that boat was beached on a lake near Dallas when that mess rolled in. I don't exactly remember it being sunken (since it was on the beach), but again, memory might be off (or sunken might be my being too technical as in I bet the insurance co. said it was deep sixed). Either way, he was probably lucky he was on the beach with that awful mess rolling in.

I do remember thinking the carpets might need a little wet/dry vac to say the least. Makes me want to see what's available in a high performance bilge pump. Now I'm off to find those pictures (bet they're archived by now or lost in a server dump).

/sorry for the semi-threadjack
//bad parent lives here.
///edit, here's the picture. See, it's still floating. ;)

http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/wakeboardreport_horrifying_009.jpg

kpickett
05-30-2007, 04:10 AM
You ever had a wally come way to close to you? Or just another boat that didn't see you...? If someone were to strap a child into a device that may not float upright IF something happened, what would be the benefit of having the life vest on? Just to comply with regulations? Or for the safety of the child?

You must have missed the part of my post where I said we only do this on the private slalom lake. In those conditions, it's only glassy water with no other boats on the lake. The most catastrophic scenario I can come up with there is the driver passing out and running up on shore. In that case, I'd much rather have the baby belted in than free to fly out - like a seatbelt in a car.

My family has had a place on Lake Shasta since my first birthday in 1972, and we've spent every summer on the lake. So, yes, I've seen a lot of crazy boaters. Over the weekend, a jetskier rammed a boat and was killed in view of our deck. I'm not lax or lazy about safety, especially with our child. I won't even take the boat out on public water on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, or Labor Day weekends. So, when we are on public water with other boaters around, we hold the baby in our arms.

I know that this inspires strong feelings among members, but I strongly believe that (under our conditions) the possibility of the baby being thrown around or falling poses a much bigger danger than does the possibility of flipping or sinking the boat.

kpickett
05-30-2007, 04:23 AM
http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/wakeboardreport_horrifying_009.jpg

I'd also point out that you'd have to be insane to take a baby out in these conditions - vest or seatbelt or anything.

bucky
05-30-2007, 07:53 AM
The swamped boat in the picture may not be totally sunk, but if a child was strapped in, it would not be a survivable situation without instant rescue.
Unless you run ashore into a tree, there just aren't many ways to sustain an impact like you would see in a highway vehicle, and as long as a child is properly seated (and I like the booster seats, by the way) I can't see the benefit of a child seat w/5 point harness.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 08:17 AM
With that worst case scenario in mind, here is another image I keep fresh in my memory. I have more.....

(Dear Moderator, please forgive me, yes I have stolen this picture from another site for demostration purposes, please forgive me if I have broken any rules)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Another......

(Dear Moderator, please forgive me, yes I have stolen this picture from another site for demostration purposes, please forgive me if I have broken any rules)

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Please don't take what I said as me telling you why you should not strap your child into a boat/seat. What I am trying to get across here is why I wouldn't strap my child in one.

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Please don't take what I said as me telling you why you should not strap your child into a boat/seat. What I am trying to get across here is why I wouldn't strap my child in one.

That wasn't the way I took it (the bad father slashie was tongue in cheek). Like I mentioned above, all of these things are on my mind when I'm out in the boat, whether he's along or not. I would never suggest that your decision is anything but your decision. Nor would I suggest that someone do what I've done here without considering the inherent risk involved with boating generally, which includes towing the boat to the lake, a process that, for me, has involved several more close calls than what we've dealt with on the lake. That we've made it this far without catastrophe is a fact about which I am always counting blessing.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 09:02 AM
That wasn't the way I took it (the bad father slashie was tongue in cheek). Like I mentioned above, all of these things are on my mind when I'm out in the boat, whether he's along or not. I would never suggest that your decision is anything but your decision. Nor would I suggest that someone do what I've done here without considering the inherent risk involved with boating generally, which includes towing the boat to the lake, a process that, for me, has involved several more close calls than what we've dealt with on the lake. That we've made it this far without catastrophe is a fact about which I am always counting blessing.
Wow, you sound just like my lawyer now......:rolleyes: 8p

FWIW- I keep those pictures handy for personnal reasons......

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow, you sound just like my lawyer now......:rolleyes: 8p

FWIW- I keep those pictures handy for personnal reasons......

Occupational hazard ... literally. I'm rolling around on the floor as to the last part. 8p

kpickett
05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
I guess what I'm saying is - you need to use good judgement. Yes, there is always some risk involved in boating, but as Doug said, there's probably more risk in towing the boat to the lake. It is my belief that there are some circumstances (ie. skiing on a private lake with just my wife and baby) where it is safer to have him strapped in. There are other circumstance (like Lake Powell in a wind storm or Shasta on a holiday weekend) where you would never strap a baby in, and you probably shouldn't have him out there to begin with.

To me, the blanket statements, like "you should never have a child strapped in the boat" just don't ring true. You need to use your own judgement about the circumstances. There's a big difference between these conditions:

kpickett
05-30-2007, 02:01 PM
...and these conditions. And if you can't tell the difference, than you shouldn't be boating with children.

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I'd also point out that you'd have to be insane to take a baby out in these conditions - vest or seatbelt or anything.

As I recall the story, that storm came up within a few minutes. That boat was actually beached beforehand. I'm not judging anyone on here for the decisions they make with regard to members of their family. Outside of my family and my boat, I don't make any decisions. :)

sanjuan23
05-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Doug that picture KPickett posted @ the helm ready to drive made me laugh about your little one firing up the boat on the river. Quick learner indeed! :D

east tx skier
05-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, as I look at those pictures of the charred hull, I think a little restraint may have kept my boat from being blown up a few times. Plus, he likes to try to pull the keys out of the ignition. Wouldn't trade him.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
...and these conditions. And if you can't tell the difference, than you shouldn't be boating with children.
Understood. "I" still would never strap my child into a boat whatsoever in any conditions. Jus' Sayin'........
And FWIW I do see a difference in those pics, you have more trees....8p