PDA

View Full Version : sticky sludge on carb/intake manifold

NavyPat
05-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a '91 Prostar 190 351 with Edelbrock performer intake manifold and holley 4160 carb. Out on the lake over the weekend and discovered air leak at manifold/spacer plate gasket. Pulled the carb when i got home and discovered dark sticky sludge on bottom of butterfly valves and all over the interior of the intake manifold and spacer plate. The gasket was soaked with it and failed accordingly. Any ideas on the source of the sticky stuff? She seemed to run ok, even with the air leak. Thanks in advance for any help.

TMCNo1
05-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I have a '91 Prostar 190 351 with Edelbrock performer intake manifold and holley 4160 carb. Out on the lake over the weekend and discovered air leak at manifold/spacer plate gasket. Pulled the carb when i got home and discovered dark sticky sludge on bottom of butterfly valves and all over the interior of the intake manifold and spacer plate. The gasket was soaked with it and failed accordingly. Any ideas on the source of the sticky stuff? She seemed to run ok, even with the air leak. Thanks in advance for any help.
It is, in most cases the same stuff that lays in the valleys of the intake manifold when a carb or gas line is leaking, it's like a varnish, but it is the junk in the remains of gasoline once it is evaporated over time.

JKTX21
05-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Welcome, and happy Memorial Day. Sounds like it is probably normal to expect some build-up overtime. I had never cleaned the intake on my truck (130K mi) until recently and it was gunked up similarly I imagine. I would spray some cleaner on it and swab it out.

NavyPat
05-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the replies, puts me at a little more ease. I did find the problem with the air leak. Turns out the previous owner installed the spacer plate between manifold and carb upside down which didn't seal off the channels which routed the crankcase gases from the pcv valve back into the intake. Anyhow, new gaskets and some proper installation and I'll be back on the water. Great forum here, glad I found it.

milkmania
05-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the replies, puts me at a little more ease. I did find the problem with the air leak. Turns out the previous owner installed the spacer plate between manifold and carb upside down which didn't seal off the channels which routed the crankcase gases from the pcv valve back into the intake. Anyhow, new gaskets and some proper installation and I'll be back on the water. Great forum here, glad I found it.

glad you made it too.....

with your new findings, you may also learn that with the air leak, you might be getting that gunked up looking stuff from that.

I'd be interested to learn if it helps remedy some of it:(

which color combo on your 91 PS190?

mine's red/white...... you can see the pics by clicking the camera icon (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/buttons/camera.gif) top right of this post

welcome aboard

NavyPat
05-30-2007, 01:21 AM
Waiting on new gaskets but I'll let you know when i get it put back together and running again sometime next week. Milkmania, we have identical boats (red/white), although I imagine yours is in a little better shape cosmetically than mine. I rescued it from a guy who let the interior see a little too much sun, which let me buy it for cheap. But its runs like a champ, so the cosmetics just give me projects to work on the weekends when i'm not skiing. It will be a slow project, but what the hell, its a great boat.